Kiley's Midseason Top 50

DirtySox

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

Traded if it were up to me. But if he stays, LF and DH and just pray. Eloy is bubble wrap. He can play DH all season and still would get hurt running the bases or swinging in the batters box.

Sadly I don’t think anyone would take on his contract

22 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Maybe but his presence creates roster issues. It’s too easy to say Vaughn/Abreu split DH/1B because Grandal and Eloy still exist. It just doesn’t fit. Vaughn should never play the outfield again but he will a lot if Abreu returns 

Grandal shouldn't be factoring into this at all. Tony still pretending his bat is worthy of DHing exasperates so many of this teams roster construction issues.

Just now, maxjusttyped said:

I'm lower on Eloy than most, but he only has 23M in guarantees on his contract. Literally every team in baseball would be willing to take that on.

And hes still only 25 and hitting well this season. They will bet on the potential with the bat. I just don't think he'll ever stay healthy. 

Just now, SoxAce said:

And hes still only 25 and hitting well this season. They will bet on the potential with the bat. I just don't think he'll ever stay healthy. 

Eloy's been playing on 1 leg all year and he has a 135 wRC+. His quality of contact metrics are outrageously good. Teams with modern hitting development would be dying to get their hands on him. Of course he has trade value, even if it's not as much as we'd all like.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

He's correct, 2025 and 2026 are club options.

2023 is 9.5 and 2024 is 13

If you’ve noticed, I never suggest they should trade Eloy.  I just want them to put him at DH and let him bombs away with a new hitting coach.  Maybe the Sox will get lucky and Cashman gets fired by the Yankees and they can make him the new GM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

If you’ve noticed, I never suggest they should trade Eloy.  I just want them to put him at DH and let him bombs away with a new hitting coach.  Maybe the Sox will get lucky and Cashman gets fired by the Yankees and they can make him the new GM.

I think Vaughn would benefit just as much if not more so from a modern hitting coach. He seems to be a product of the Sox middle-away approach more than any other hitter in the org. A hitter with plus raw power and a plus hit tool should never have the batted ball distribution Vaughn does this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

I think Vaughn would benefit just as much if not more so from a modern hitting coach. He seems to be a product of the Sox middle-away approach more than any other hitter in the org. A hitter with plus raw power and a plus hit tool should never have the batted ball distribution Vaughn does this year.

I don’t disagree.  A team like Toronto would love either guy.

There will be other times to debate this, but keeping someone who will be 36 on Opening Day next year over a guy in their mid 20s like AV or Eloy would be so incredibly short sighted. How many years would you comfortably say he'll be a better hitter than both of those guys? Jose is already at a point where he could fall off a cliff at any time and it wouldn't be surprising.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Maybe but his presence creates roster issues. It’s too easy to say Vaughn/Abreu split DH/1B because Grandal and Eloy still exist. It just doesn’t fit. Vaughn should never play the outfield again but he will a lot if Abreu returns 

Losing their best hitter because of a useless overpaid player is bad process. The only decision Grandal should be a factor in is his release.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T R U said:

Back to prospects, I think Jose Rodriguez Is our best one

Interesting debate amongst Popeye, and Sosa.  Popeye and Sosa are incredibly similar players -- Both went from never walking to reasonable approaches in AA (seriously, is Charlie Romero a thing?), both are better at 2b but can play ss, both have slightly above average tools but those play up cuz they're smart players.  Popeye has more useable speed, Sosa has more raw power.  They need to hold on to the right guy here.  You'll recall the Sox had Saladino, Yolmer, and Semien all coming up together and... they chose poorly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

His presence isn't the problem.  Its all the other guys that can neither hit nor field their position (Vaughn obviously isn't a problem either).  Jose can hit and is at least competent in the field.  

Grandal can't do either.  Why on Earth would you part ways with a good player for a terrible player?  Well, I suppose, White Sox, that's why.

Eloy, man.  I don't know.  I want to still love Eloy, but the one thing you know is that you can't count on him in any way.  Again, replacing a guy that insists on playing everyday with a guy that can't run, swing, catch without hurting himself is bad policy.  I can't say for sure, but he may also melt if he is left out in the rain, so that is something to consider as well.

On 8/19/2022 at 5:55 AM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d keep Eloy and Vaughn and let Abreu walk. That’s the solution 

I totally agree. And they should be working on a Vaughn extension right now. He’s going to be special for a long time. And letting Abreu walk solves a lot of issues defensively. 

7 hours ago, Joshua Strong said:

I totally agree. And they should be working on a Vaughn extension right now. He’s going to be special for a long time. And letting Abreu walk solves a lot of issues defensively. 

If he hasn't signed one by now, it isn't because the Sox didn't offer one.