The International Signing Thread

Sleepy Harold

• 1 month later...
On 10/5/2023 at 5:00 PM, bmags said:

@Eminor3rd need thoughts thnks.

Definitely an MLB arm. One of the top 5 or so relievers in NPB. Would be an elite closer if he didn't have arguably the league's best closer blocking him on his own team (Raidel Martinez).

Mostly a fastball/slider guy, throws mid-to-upper 90s. Like others of his ilk, his control disappears at times, but the slider is a 3D wipeout pitch, and he actually has a changeup, even if it's worse than the other two pitches. 

I don't think he'll be elite over here, but he definitely belongs and will be a good pickup for a contender.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

Definitely an MLB arm. One of the top 5 or so relievers in NPB. Would be an elite closer if he didn't have arguably the league's best closer blocking him on his own team (Raidel Martinez).

Mostly a fastball/slider guy, throws mid-to-upper 90s. Like others of his ilk, his control disappears at times, but the slider is a 3D wipeout pitch, and he actually has a changeup, even if it's worse than the other two pitches. 

I don't think he'll be elite over here, but he definitely belongs and will be a good pickup for a contender.

Well we are on a #questfor74wins so I think we need him

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bmags said:

Well we are on a #questfor74wins so I think we need him

He is Cuban, so at least we know the Sox are allowed to sign him.

In all seriousness he is the type of guy that would help a Sox Hail Mary(tm) contention push but also bring a lot back at the deadline in the likely event that the push falls short. 

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 1:29 PM, Autumn Dreamin said:

Not sure if he's eligible for the current signing period, but we have a good amount of money left if so...

Anyone following up on Marlon Vega ? Seems very talented, Cuban, same agent as Chapelli and he kind of looks like Tiger Woods in that picture.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Anyone following up on Marlon Vega ? Seems very talented, Cuban, same agent as Chapelli and he kind of looks like Tiger Woods in that picture.

Ok a quick check of Google found this from a week ago. https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/news/mlb-commissioners-office-declares-7-cuban-players-as-international-free-agents

The MLB Commissioner's Office has declared seven Cuban players as international free agents, Francys Romero reported Tuesday.

Right-handed pitcher Marlon Vega, right-handed pitcher Edelvis Pérez, outfielder Jordan Sánchez, right-handed pitcher Emmanuel Chapman, outfielder Roislandi Bell, outfielder Yoandri Guibert and right-handed pitcher Kevin Mejía are the players who will try to sign with MLB clubs this offseason.

• Quin changed the title to The International Signing Thread
4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ok a quick check of Google found this from a week ago. https://www.si.com/fannation/mlb/fastball/news/mlb-commissioners-office-declares-7-cuban-players-as-international-free-agents

The MLB Commissioner's Office has declared seven Cuban players as international free agents, Francys Romero reported Tuesday.

Right-handed pitcher Marlon Vega, right-handed pitcher Edelvis Pérez, outfielder Jordan Sánchez, right-handed pitcher Emmanuel Chapman, outfielder Roislandi Bell, outfielder Yoandri Guibert and right-handed pitcher Kevin Mejía are the players who will try to sign with MLB clubs this offseason.

Any relationship with the famous fireballing lhp Aroldis Chapman?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm really curious how many teams view Yariel as a potential starter, and if that will utlimately affect his decision and/or the money he's offered. To me, he's a high-leverage reliever that can do multiple innings, but a rebuilder like the Sox would have little to lose by promising him a chance to start and just seeing how it goes, if it got him to sign.

Edited by Eminor3rd

36 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'm really curious how many teams view Yariel as a potential starter, and if that will utlimately affect his decision and/or the money he's offered. To me, he's a high-leverage reliever that can do multiple innings, but a rebuilder like the Sox would have little to lose by promising him a chance to start and just seeing how it goes, if it got him to sign.

I'm under the impression that the White Sox front office is split on Rodriguez. I've heard that they aren't the frontrunners. He likely signs with a team that is convinced he can start. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm under the impression that the White Sox front office is split on Rodriguez. I've heard that they aren't the frontrunners. He likely signs with a team that is convinced he can start. 

I look at the Sox potential rotation, with the expected departure of Cease,  I'm convinced he can start here.  Even without ever seeing him throw a live pitch.   I'll make that decision for them. 

On 12/1/2023 at 1:46 PM, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Hey James, unrelated question, but do we still have money left for this signing period?  I just the Orioles signed an 18 OF from Cubs for $450k.  If so, not sure we wouldn’t have been in on that.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hey James, unrelated question, but do we still have money left for this signing period?  I just the Orioles signed an 18 OF from Cubs for $450k.  If so, not sure we wouldn’t have been in on that.

I think they traded most of the remainder to the Dodgers. I'd have to look.