AJ Pollock declines option, becomes FA

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

I saw a Tweet that Cespedes could fill the Engel role. Guess that could be an option.

I mean all Engel was good for was playing defense late in games. And he even kinda sucked at that. It's kind of sink or swim time for Cespedes. He's going to be 26 before the end of next season. He's not the worst option to have as a 4th OFer/defensive replacement. 

Sox say goodbye to two mediocre talents, plus Jose Vince and likely Engel. They will have about five or more open spots. The have a chance to improve and give some young guys a chance. I would invite Elvis and Jhonny back. The locker room must suck for AJ to walk. 

• Like 1

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They could still trade him after picking up the option like the Sox did with Kimbrel.

I'd imagine he has doesn't have a ton of trade value since $12 million a year for him might actually be a slight overpay. 

2 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I think the Sox go with an internal option at 2B and spend money elsewhere.  Who it goes to though...

I have a hard time believing they'll give Nimmo a $100+ million deal. Although if you think about it, Nimmo is basically the position player version of Zack Wheeler. Both from the Mets, both with injury histories, both 30 years old going into FA, both going to cost around the $100-120 million range. The Sox were willing to go that far with Wheeler, but I'm not sure they see the same potential in Nimmo. 

Edited by chw42

2 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I have a hard time believing they'll give Nimmo a $100+ million deal. Although if you think about it, Nimmo is basically the position player version of Zack Wheeler. Both from the Mets, both with injury histories, both 30 years old going into FA, both going to cost around the $100-120 million range. The Sox were willing to go that far with Wheeler, but I'm not sure they see the same potential in Nimmo. 

Yeah, the Nimmo ship sailed as soon as those $100M+ dollar figures were put out there.  I have a hard time seeing them committing long term to Benintendi too.  I think we see a stop gap unfortunately.  Conforto makes the most sense to me but who knows what he and Boras will be after.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Yeah, the Nimmo ship sailed as soon as those $100M+ dollar figures were put out there.  I have a hard time seeing them committing long term to Benintendi too.  I think we see a stop gap unfortunately.  Conforto makes the most sense to me but who knows what he and Boras will be after.

With Pollock gone, Conforto is well within reach I think. I just don't know how good he'll be after he shoulder surgery. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Now it means they have to get another OF. I doubt they can do better with $8m, hopefully it inspires them to spend a bit more. 

Not saying I want them to do this because it just runs back the same s%*# as last year…

But is it possible this opens the door up more for an Abreu return and Vaughn takes RF?

12 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I think the Sox go with an internal option at 2B and spend money elsewhere.  Who it goes to though...

Biggest concern I have about that approach is it’s hard to imagine Sosa or Gonzalez making an impact against RHP, which is the team’s biggest need.

• Like 1

They could roll with Cespedes like Jimmy said they could or maybe sign Kevin Pillar or Tommy Pham (Pillar you could probably get for like $1M) to be a right-handed compliment piece to a lefty. Pillar only had 13 PA in the MLB last year but had solid AAA numbers. Pour whatever savings on the right-handed OF bat into a left-handed bat and SP.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Just now, Tony said:

Not saying I want them to do this because it just runs back the same s%*# as last year…

But is it possible this opens the door up more for an Abreu return and Vaughn takes RF?

Nah, Vaughn’s days as an outfielder are done. 1B or traded is all I’ve heard.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Figured this may deserve its own thread. Now go get a lefty OF plz and thank you

Very surprising.  I guess a $8M contract would be a washout.  However I don’t think he can get $8M.  Regardless it is good news.  Hahn has now got to get moving to get that lefty OF that we need.

2 minutes ago, Tony said:

No unfortunately either Vaughn will be traded or Abreu will be gone. Can’t have both on the same team.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Biggest concern I have about that approach is it’s hard to imagine Sosa or Gonzalez making an impact against RHP, which is the team’s biggest need.

Sosa isn't ready and Romy can't hit a high fastball to save his life. Once the scouting reports caught up to Romy, he was striking out every other AB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

No unfortunately either Vaughn will be traded or Abreu will be gone. Can’t have both on the same team.

With Jose possibly costing $18 million a year, I don't think it would be smart to try and re-sign him. 

47 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

He truly never looked happy out there, but might be his personality. 

I think the clubhouse is kind of toxic, even with the removal of LaRussa.    

AJ must have gotten used to the weather and glamour of LA along with championship vibe, and could not adjust to the bad vibe of the SoxSouth side.

• Like 1