Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't agree with GreenSox on much, but I do agree here.  Kelly could be quite useful in 23.  Would I trade him in a salary swap for a useful position player?  Yah, probably.  But I'd rather keep him that give him away, or eat money to do so.  The arm is very good.  The FIP was much better than the ERA. He know what he is doing. I think he could be a very effective middle reliever next season. 

I'm on board with this. Joe Kelly had a bad year but that is not his track record. There is a high probability he bounces back this year.

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

I'm on board with this. Joe Kelly had a bad year but that is not his track record. There is a high probability he bounces back this year.

I'm of the mindset that what we saw out of Joe Kelly last year is not what we'll see in 2023.  He was hurt when he was signed, started slow, and was injured a few more times.  His track record shows that he is an effective reliever and at times damn near unhittable.  I expect a much better year from him in 23.  That being said, if there's a trade that makes sense and fills a hole (2B), go for it.

6 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I'm of the mindset that what we saw out of Joe Kelly last year is not what we'll see in 2023.  He was hurt when he was signed, started slow, and was injured a few more times.  His track record shows that he is an effective reliever and at times damn near unhittable.  I expect a much better year from him in 23.  That being said, if there's a trade that makes sense and fills a hole (2B), go for it.

It is entirely possible that this happens. 

But what team is going to give you a useful contributor and take on $9 million in salary because they are so certain that it will? Literally none.

As with Kimbrel last year, you could take a bad contract back if you could find one, but no team is giving you a valuable big league level guy with several years of affordable control for a guy who is effectively worthless.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It is entirely possible that this happens. 

But what team is going to give you a useful contributor and take on $9 million in salary because they are so certain that it will? Literally none.

As with Kimbrel last year, you could take a bad contract back if you could find one, but no team is giving you a valuable big league level guy with several years of affordable control for a guy who is effectively worthless.

Yeah, which is why I believe he'll be with the Sox in 23.

5 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I don't care if he's blocked..."giving away a guy with 4 years of team control remaining for a $9 million dollar reliever with only a limited amount of control remaining when your team is closing in on the end of a rebuilding process but not likely to compete for your division next year" is something that only Rick Hahn would do. 

Make up your mind.  Madrigal is either worth nothing like so many forum members think or not.  Kelly is S**t in my opinion, but others think he's ripe for this year.  If Madrigal would have played for the Yankees...half this board would be clamoring for RH to pick him up.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously, trade rumors involving Liam ended in early January when he was diagnosed. I suppose there is a remote possibility that he had a pre-trade physical exam where the disease was detected. No matter the reason for the physical, the timing of it may have helped to catch the condition earl on and helped to save his life.  My heart goes out to Liam and his family.