Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

Anybody else a little surprised that there hasn’t been any traction at all on another Dodgers trade for a Sox closer?

Dodgers definitely need a closer and also have a surplus to trade from. For 3B/2B/LF they have Muncy, Taylor, Outman, Vargas, and Busch to choose from(with a few others not far away in the minors). Busch is 25 now and if they don’t project him to start at 1 of those spots could be a trade candidate…and fits very nicely for the Sox. 

Not sure exactly how the value pans out with Busch being a top 50 prospect, but would have to imagine we could get at least another young SP outside of their top 10 along with Busch. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Anybody else a little surprised that there hasn’t been any traction at all on another Dodgers trade for a Sox closer?

Dodgers definitely need a closer and also have a surplus to trade from. For 3B/2B/LF they have Muncy, Taylor, Outman, Vargas, and Busch to choose from(with a few others not far away in the minors). Busch is 25 now and if they don’t project him to start at 1 of those spots could be a trade candidate…and fits very nicely for the Sox. 

Not sure exactly how the value pans out with Busch being a top 50 prospect, but would have to imagine we could get at least another young SP outside of their top 10 along with Busch. 

With Bauer being reinstated for over half the season, they are currently just slightly over the luxury tax amount (including arbitration projections). I saw a rumor at one point this off-season that they may be looking to get under this year to reset the penalty and make a run at Ohtani next off-season.

6 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

No I don’t find it surprising.

1. The Dodgers have clearly figured out that it benefits them substantially to have enough depth to rest people and use platoons at multiple positions. They have done this for years.

2. The kinds of packages people are envisioning for Hendriks, like that one, remain such massive overpays that not only should the Dodgers not do it, but if they did they’d have other teams offering up closers that no one thought were available.

37 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

With Bauer being reinstated for over half the season, they are currently just slightly over the luxury tax amount (including arbitration projections). I saw a rumor at one point this off-season that they may be looking to get under this year to reset the penalty and make a run at Ohtani next off-season.

Not sure if it was mentioned but the arb ruling also docked Trev his next 50 games pay. The money should be donated to a worthy cause I would think.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Dodgers and Yankees both have problems beyond closer. Not sure what they are going to do about them. Trade market may open up  more. But I think they're going to take care of position player needs and feign like they are fine with internal options with closer for the time being. It may change. There's  still 2 boring months of the off season to go.

Sox will probably sit tight let all the decent relievers left get paid by other teams. Save our prospect capital .

As bad as the whole TLR hiring and performance was, it's difficult to understand how much blame him and Menechino get judging by the TLR vitriol shown in the TLR invited to ST thread. Usually it's like managers can't cost you too many games or win you too many. If TLR and Menechino made so many players suck and get injured I'd truly have to question how committed the players are to winning also. Cease, Cueto, Lopez and Hendriks didn't seem to be bothered by anything the coaching staff did. Abreu hit less HR's but over all had a fine year. Vaughn did much better as a hitter.

I think it's probably very rare that veteran players, which the Sox youngish core are now, would fully change anything that's worked for them en masse. I'm not buying into what amounts to "the best shape of their lives " stuff about how much  dedication to preparation and sabermetrics by the new staff is going to transform everyone to their peak performances.

Hahn is getting sympathy by trying to undo the whole mess of TLR with fluff about the organization is now in the best shape of it's life .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

No I don’t find it surprising.

1. The Dodgers have clearly figured out that it benefits them substantially to have enough depth to rest people and use platoons at multiple positions. They have done this for years.

2. The kinds of packages people are envisioning for Hendriks, like that one, remain such massive overpays that not only should the Dodgers not do it, but if they did they’d have other teams offering up closers that no one thought were available.

I’d say you are way off on Liam’s value. 1 25 year top 50 prospect that hasn’t seen the majors yet isn’t crazy at all. But we can agree to disagree…

And I don’t see how anyone could make any kind of argument that Liam is anything worse than the 4th best closer in baseball. Who are these teams you think could swoop in with a better offer if the Dodgers are indeed looking for a closer? 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’d say you are way off on Liam’s value. 1 25 year top 50 prospect that hasn’t seen the majors yet isn’t crazy at all. But we can agree to disagree…

And I don’t see how anyone could make any kind of argument that Liam is anything worse than the 4th best closer in baseball. Who are these teams you think could swoop in with a better offer if the Dodgers are indeed looking for a closer? 

If the Sox we’re trying to acquire him, it’d require Montgomery++. But since it’s the Sox, best we can do is a blocked guy outside the top 100 headlining the deal. 

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

If you’re talking about a top 50 prospect and a second starting pitcher in the top 100, you think Cleveland wouldn’t get in on a deal like that?

You think the Dodgers wouldn’t get a far more reasonable and realistic price for a Daniel Bard? The Tigers for a Gregory Soto? 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If you’re talking about a top 50 prospect and a second starting pitcher in the top 100, you think Cleveland wouldn’t get in on a deal like that?

You think the Dodgers wouldn’t get a far more reasonable and realistic price for a Daniel Bard? The Tigers for a Gregory Soto? 

but would have to imagine we could get at least another young SP outside of their top 10 along with Busch. 

When did I say the 2nd prospect would be a top 100 guy? I specifically said the 2nd prospect would be outside of their top 10 prospects. Someone like Knack, Nastrini or Grove. Fringe B level prospects with back end of the rotation upside…which sadly the Sox desperately need because outside of Martin we have no one in the minors that can come up and pitch if needed.

Not to mention that Bard and Soto don’t even belong in the same conversation as Hendriks. No team with WS aspirations is trading for them and thinking they’re set at closer. 

Not really. Enough people here think Lopez and/or Graveman can close, so the same needs to be said for the Dodgers who arguably have even better arms with Hudson, Phillips and Graterol.

I’m more surprised the Sox have made any trades yet. I thought we would have seen Graveman or Kelly long gone by now simply to clear some payroll.

• Like 1

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Not really. Enough people here think Lopez and/or Graveman can close, so the same needs to be said for the Dodgers who arguably have even better arms with Hudson, Phillips and Graterol.

I’m more surprised the Sox have made any trades yet. I thought we would have seen Graveman or Kelly long gone by now simply to clear some payroll.

It's still only December so I guess there is time. It's pretty crazy how basically every top 50 free agent has signed already before the New Year. I wonder if that has ever happened (or at least when the last time that happened was).

49 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

are those two the same as Hendriks? 

Can you remind me what Chapman for half a season, and Diaz (with Cano's albatross contract) were traded for?  I can't recall.

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Guillorme doesn't suck at all. Very good D and high obp vs RHP. 

But not for Hendriks straight up. 

Definitely for Kelly. 

I don't want to trade for a role player for Hendriks.  With a total of 4 HR, .688 OPS.  Him and Madrigal have earily similar offensive stats.

8 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

are those two the same as Hendriks? 

Can you remind me what Chapman for half a season, and Diaz (with Cano's albatross contract) were traded for?  I can't recall.

What's actually interesting is that Chapman was in trade discussions that offseason before the domestic violence allegations came out, he was nearly dealt to the Dodgers - in a deal that reportedly did not include any of the Dodgers top 50 in the MLB prospects at the time, and might instead have included 1 top-100 guy and another outside piece. At least one old article described the return as "fairly light".

Eventually, once the Domestic Violence allegations were out, he was dealt to the Yankees for a package containing 2 guys who were in the Yankees top 10 and 2 guys not listed in their top 30.