Liam Hendriks coming up in trade discussions

Sleepy Harold

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Mets media is reallyt pushing this notion that Guillorme is anything more than a backup role player.

He's a nice player to have on a contending team with starters everywhere. He's the perfect type of utility player that TLR probably thinks Leury is. But he is not gonna give you 600 PAs and be a starter at 2B. That's what the Sox need and Guillorme doesn't fit that role at all. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

What's actually interesting is that Chapman was in trade discussions that offseason before the domestic violence allegations came out, he was nearly dealt to the Dodgers - in a deal that reportedly did not include any of the Dodgers top 50 in the MLB prospects at the time, and might instead have included 1 top-100 guy and another outside piece. At least one old article described the return as "fairly light".

Eventually, once the Domestic Violence allegations were out, he was dealt to the Yankees for a package containing 2 guys who were in the Yankees top 10 and 2 guys not listed in their top 30.

and what about the trade to the Cubs.  Were any good prospects included in that one?

1 hour ago, chw42 said:

He's a nice player to have on a contending team with starters everywhere. He's the perfect type of utility player that TLR probably thinks Leury is. But he is not gonna give you 600 PAs and be a starter at 2B. That's what the Sox need and Guillorme doesn't fit that role at all. 

Exactly.. . He is like Leury.  A role player for contending teams.

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

and what about the trade to the Cubs.  Were any good prospects included in that one?

On 12/7/2022 at 3:38 PM, Balta1701 said:

Teams aren't going to aggressively trade for closers when they can sign FA relievers and when they can convince themselves that their young guys are going to step up. We saw this happen last year. 

Teams will do that at the trade deadline because they have no other choice. 

37 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

What happened to all the interesting trade ideas Hahn was speaking of a few weeks ago?

It's Rick Hahn remember. If I could give him any advice it would be never to talk to the media again. He has zero credibility and simply embarrasses himself when he opens his mouth then has to go back and make excuses. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

He was absolutely awful last year but anything is possible.

Bullpens are a crapshoot and Kelly could be either good or bad.  The problem with Kelly is that we paid premium $ for an oft injured relief pitcher and low and behold he was out injured again last season.

19 minutes ago, wegner said:

Bullpens are a crapshoot and Kelly could be either good or bad.  The problem with Kelly is that we paid premium $ for an oft injured relief pitcher and low and behold he was out injured again last season.

All true.  If it's me...I trade him for something like 2nd base or backup catcher.  I realize he has great stuff but pitchers who can't find the plate are not my cup of tea.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

What happened to all the interesting trade ideas Hahn was speaking of a few weeks ago?

I honestly believe Hahn was just trying to appease the very unhappy White Sox fan.   There was never a trade package of any significance being discussed.

2 minutes ago, Johno said:

I honestly believe Hahn was just trying to appease the very unhappy White Sox fan.   There was never a trade package of any significance being discussed.

Most of the unhappy Sox fans wanted this cheap ass dysfunctional organization to sign premier free agents, not trade anything of value we had. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, poppysox said:

He was absolutely awful last year but anything is possible.

Yes he was.  But I figure the gain from trading him (salary relief) won't do much for the team and I don't care about JR's wallet; but if we keep him, we could get lucky and if he sucks again, he can be DFAd anytime.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Yes he was.  But I figure the gain from trading him (salary relief) won't do much for the team and I don't care about JR's wallet; but if we keep him, we could get lucky and if he sucks again, he can be DFAd anytime.

I don't agree with GreenSox on much, but I do agree here.  Kelly could be quite useful in 23.  Would I trade him in a salary swap for a useful position player?  Yah, probably.  But I'd rather keep him that give him away, or eat money to do so.  The arm is very good.  The FIP was much better than the ERA. He know what he is doing. I think he could be a very effective middle reliever next season. 

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't agree with GreenSox on much, but I do agree here.  Kelly could be quite useful in 23.  Would I trade him in a salary swap for a useful position player?  Yah, probably.  But I'd rather keep him that give him away, or eat money to do so.  The arm is very good.  The FIP was much better than the ERA. He know what he is doing. I think he could be a very effective middle reliever next season. 

I'm not wanting to release him.  I want to use him to acquire a useful piece like Madrigal.  

• TLR 1

26 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I'm not wanting to release him.  I want to use him to acquire a useful piece like Madrigal.  

I don't care if he's blocked..."giving away a guy with 4 years of team control remaining for a $9 million dollar reliever with only a limited amount of control remaining when your team is closing in on the end of a rebuilding process but not likely to compete for your division next year" is something that only Rick Hahn would do.