2023-24 NFL Season Thread

31 minutes ago, Tony said:

Interesting thing I heard on the radio earlier, as it relates to Fields. 

The Bears most likely have not handed over any sort of playbook to Fields and most likely won't because of the upcoming decision at the top of the draft. I'm not super familiar with timelines and when QB's get a playbook, especially with a new OC coming in (and an HC that doesn't really touch the offense) but the longer you wait on your decision, the longer the QB goes without the playbook, which seems troubling. 

How likely is it that Waldron already has a playbook ready? He's only been hired for a month. 

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Interesting thing I heard on the radio earlier, as it relates to Fields. 

The Bears most likely have not handed over any sort of playbook to Fields and most likely won't because of the upcoming decision at the top of the draft. I'm not super familiar with timelines and when QB's get a playbook, especially with a new OC coming in (and an HC that doesn't really touch the offense) but the longer you wait on your decision, the longer the QB goes without the playbook, which seems troubling. 

Think of it this way - if he gets traded - coaches typically can't work with players for a while (i'm sure they get playbooks).  For teams with new head coaches, they can start working with their players officially on April 1st (for teams without I think it isn't until May 1st when they can).

So in Bears case - the coaches can't work in an official capacity with the players until May 1st.  My guess is no player has gotten the playbook yet (although I am sure there is some gray in terms of what teams can and can't do).  A reporter like Biggs should write about that just to talk about it. 

46 minutes ago, chw42 said:

How likely is it that Waldron already has a playbook ready? He's only been hired for a month. 

I'm assuming that is what he is working on and than they have to develop a plan for how they will install and teach the playbook. I think something probably goes in advance of the initial mini camps but that is probably when all the heavy work and instructs start and than continue to get pushed during the course of the offseason.  

On 2/26/2024 at 12:30 PM, Quin said:

1) Bears decide they like Maye more
2) Trade down to Commanders, take Maye
3) Use other picks from Commanders trade, hypothetical Fields trade and more to move from #9 to #3
4) Take Harrison
5) ???
6) Profit

Mostly likely it's

1) Take Williams
2) Take Odzune/Bowers
3) Trade Fields for some extra picks

If somebody currently on the roster is the starting LT, the offense will suck with Fields at QB, the offense will suck with Williams at QB, and the offense will suck with Maye at QB.

IF there's a FA option better than Alt or Fashanu, great, sign that guy. If not, and they don't draft either of those two, the draft is a failure regardless of how it plays out.

2 hours ago, CentralChamps21 said:

If somebody currently on the roster is the starting LT, the offense will suck with Fields at QB, the offense will suck with Williams at QB, and the offense will suck with Maye at QB.

IF there's a FA option better than Alt or Fashanu, great, sign that guy. If not, and they don't draft either of those two, the draft is a failure regardless of how it plays out.

You realize that Braxton Jones was probably the 2nd best lineman on the team last year right? The tackles weren't the issue with this offensive line last year. It was mostly center and RG. 

I wouldn't oppose drafting Alt or Fashanu at 9 if they're there, but you're trying to patch a hole that really isn't there when there are bigger issues with the team. 

Edited by chw42

14 hours ago, chw42 said:

You realize that Braxton Jones was probably the 2nd best lineman on the team last year right? The tackles weren't the issue with this offensive line last year. It was mostly center and RG. 

I wouldn't oppose drafting Alt or Fashanu at 9 if they're there, but you're trying to patch a hole that really isn't there when there are bigger issues with the team. 

Braxton Jones was the 2nd best guy on a terrible offensive line. Whoopee.

Drafting Alt/Fashanu and bumping Jones to guard takes care of two slots, and you can sign a good center in FA and/or get a good one in the 3rd round,

Alt definitely won't be there at 9 and Fashanu is a 50/50 shot at best, so if the Bears are trading Fields, they'd better use what they get from that to package with the #9 pick to move up to the 5-6 range.

I still think the gap between Williams and Fields isn't big enough to pass on the massive haul they can get for the #1 pick, but if they can find a way to land one of those LT, I'll feel good about this offense either way.

So glad so much influencer/tangential NFL Media was able to convince their bosses to party and network so that we may read hundreds of the same blurbs on who a team is meeting. Extremely valuable info.

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Drafting Alt/Fashanu and bumping Jones to guard takes care of two slots, and you can sign a good center in FA and/or get a good one in the 3rd round,

Alt definitely won't be there at 9 and Fashanu is a 50/50 shot at best, so if the Bears are trading Fields, they'd better use what they get from that to package with the #9 pick to move up to the 5-6 range.

I still think the gap between Williams and Fields isn't big enough to pass on the massive haul they can get for the #1 pick, but if they can find a way to land one of those LT, I'll feel good about this offense either way.

He is cheap and above average. He was a 5th round pick that should get better.  Their issue was up the middle and communication, not around the edge. 

1 hour ago, CentralChamps21 said:

Depends on who you ask but I don't think the line was terrible. Pretty much all the metrics put them somewhere in the middle of the pack despite having one of the worst centers in the league. Jones graded out well as a pass blocker. It's hard for any offensive line to look good when your QB takes the longest in the NFL to throw the ball.

Before you tell me that Williams also has the same problem, this is a good read on that issue: https://www.dabearsblog.com/2024/all-kinds-of-time-caleb-williams-justin-fields-time-to-throw.

• Like 1

As someone concerned when he didn't show up to media his last game (which I had more context on later), gotta say I was pretty impressed with Williams, who had some media come pretty hard at him, how well he handled and even seemed to relish a bit.

He's clearly not going to be a "gosh what a nice guy" type player, but I do think he has shown he can handle this pretty damn well.

I do wonder how much frustration we will see from media types who will now be exclusively with players who, like, never read the sports pages of a paper and who did not digest their athletes exclusively through the eyes of beat writers. The press conferences are going to be different with people like that.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Greg Gabriel yet again having an offseason that proves that he should not engage in social media 😂

Its insane and so embarrassing.

34 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

There's a lot of smoke that the rest of the league might value Fields similarly to Trey Lance. 

Bears have no leverage. 

35 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

There's a lot of smoke that the rest of the league might value Fields similarly to Trey Lance. 

I think this is other teams trying to push back on Bears. End of the day sometime around the new league year is going to make a move - worse case a week after free agency. Qb musical chairs will leave a couple teams looking. 

Caleb had a pretty good week at combine so far. 

6 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Just keep him than. Fields is a good human and than deal him when a team loses its qb during the season. 

The problem is that if you keep him and don't pick up his 5th year option, he's gonna end up being the backup if they draft a QB with #1. His trade value will probably never be higher than it is prior to his 5th year option deadline. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Just keep him than. Fields is a good human and than deal him when a team loses its qb during the season. 

There’s no way we should enter next season with unnecessary distractions. We’re setting Caleb (or another QB) up for failure right away. All for what, we were holding out for a pipe-dream second round pick? Maybe a third with a second round conditional next season? It’s just not worth it. 

Personally, I was hoping Fields would have been conditionally traded before the QB portion of the combine tomorrow. It’s going to be so predictable, one or more of Nix, McCarthy or Penix will have multiple teams fall in love and raise their value. We don’t want Atlanta thinking about trading down and taking McCarthy. There aren’t enough teams interested in Fields, as it is. There are times where it’s ok to admit defeat. Fields trade value is one. We absolutely cannot “do right by him” by keeping him in limbo

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think this is other teams trying to push back on Bears. End of the day sometime around the new league year is going to make a move - worse case a week after free agency. Qb musical chairs will leave a couple teams looking. 

Caleb had a pretty good week at combine so far. 

We need to unload Fields. Stop pushing along this distraction narrative that has lingered on for months. Everyone knows we’re not shopping the #1 pick. If Falcons get the better of us, ok. We do have the #1 and #9 picks;  we’ll be fine. And If they want that 2nd rounder soooo bad then trade down from #9. 

19 minutes ago, chw42 said:

The problem is that if you keep him and don't pick up his 5th year option, he's gonna end up being the backup if they draft a QB with #1. His trade value will probably never be higher than it is prior to his 5th year option deadline. 

I agree and I expect they either get a 2nd and 3rd this year (or 2nd and future pick).  Or they get like a 3rd this year and 2nd next year or something. 

While the reports around a 1 were fun as a fan it isn’t happening unless you get two teams in quite the bidding war. 

13 minutes ago, Flash Tizzle said:

There’s no way we should enter next season with unnecessary distractions. We’re setting Caleb (or another QB) up for failure right away. All for what, we were holding out for a pipe-dream second round pick? Maybe a third with a second round conditional next season? It’s just not worth it. 

Personally, I was hoping Fields would have been conditionally traded before the QB portion of the combine tomorrow. It’s going to be so predictable, one or more of Nix, McCarthy or Penix will have multiple teams fall in love and raise their value. We don’t want Atlanta thinking about trading down and taking McCarthy. There aren’t enough teams interested in Fields, as it is. There are times where it’s ok to admit defeat. Fields trade value is one. We absolutely cannot “do right by him” by keeping him in limbo

I agree with this - I am just stating what I would posture to keep leverage or have my own leverage. But I am Caleb or bust unless Bears have a grade similar on 2 qbs. 

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree with this - I am just stating what I would posture to keep leverage or have my own leverage. But I am Caleb or bust unless Bears have a grade similar on 2 qbs. 

It’s funny, I just read an article in The Athletic where several executives thought his value could be more than we expect. It’s all over the place, and really depends on how willing someone is to just throw out a 2nd round pick and be done with the QB search before the start if free agency

56 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree and I expect they either get a 2nd and 3rd this year (or 2nd and future pick).  Or they get like a 3rd this year and 2nd next year or something. 

While the reports around a 1 were fun as a fan it isn’t happening unless you get two teams in quite the bidding war. 

I'm sure the trade would have happened already if they can get a 2nd. If there really aren't suitors who view him as a starter, you're possibly looking at a 3rd round pick or maybe even a 4th with a conditional pick next year. 

As much as I'd like to say, "well then you might as well keep him", the locker room and media distraction with Fields and Williams on the team would be way too much. 

With Cousins possibly switching teams and the crop of QBs that should be available in the 2nd round, the Fields market is looking pretty bad. We should all be rooting for the Vikings to give Kirk a long term deal and for Wilson to go to the Raiders. The Bears' best bet is for Pittsburgh and Atlanta to both need QBs. 

Edited by chw42

I think I am leaning to drafting Turner at 9 , signing Mike Evans, and drafting another wideout in 3rd round. Use pick you get for Fields on oline and another pick on safety. 

I would be open to signing one of the running backs to a deal to help Caleb. Barkley or Ekler (banged up but so good as a receiver). 

I presume they can get Evans for big money but without a ton of years. 

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think I am leaning to drafting Turner at 9 , signing Mike Evans, and drafting another wideout in 3rd round. Use pick you get for Fields on oline and another pick on safety. 

I would be open to signing one of the running backs to a deal to help Caleb. Barkley or Ekler (banged up but so good as a receiver). 

I presume they can get Evans for big money but without a ton of years. 

I'm not sure Turner gets past 8 unless the Falcons trade up for a QB. 

I still think the best scenario is for the Bears to get Odunze and sign an EDGE in FA. Evans might get 25 mil a year. I don't see Hunter getting that much, maybe more years though. 

• Thanks 1