2023-24 NFL Season Thread

If you could guarantee me one of the big 3 receivers at 9, then I would not really want Mike Williams, who would barely see the field in 12 personnel or push our rookie to not seeing the field.

If you guarantee me that one of the big 3 receivers are not there, then getting a big receiver would be extremely helpful.

You can't guarantee me one of the big 3 are there, the bears sign williams, they are there, and we pass on them for jared verse...well I will just hate that. So I guess I'd prefer the risk and go after a renfrow/samuel smaller slot guy. Or Noah Brown/craig reynolds.

Shows you why Day 1 and Day 2 of the draft are so important. If Velus Jones wasn't a total bust as a 3rd rounder, WR issues become a lot easier to solve. But when you totally whiff, it hurts.Ā 

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

If you could guarantee me one of the big 3 receivers at 9, then I would not really want Mike Williams, who would barely see the field in 12 personnel or push our rookie to not seeing the field.

If you guarantee me that one of the big 3 receivers are not there, then getting a big receiver would be extremely helpful.

You can't guarantee me one of the big 3 are there, the bears sign williams, they are there, and we pass on them for jared verse...well I will just hate that. So I guess I'd prefer the risk and go after a renfrow/samuel smaller slot guy. Or Noah Brown/craig reynolds.

At this point - my lean is go offense, we have investments to make.Ā  I still like the idea of taking a LT to be completely honest and just get to the point where we have 2 1st round top 10 tackles and than draft 2 wideouts later.Ā  I kind of like Ridley cause he's flexible.Ā 

Keenan Allen would have been perfect - solid bridge guy / good vet for a young wideout and keep adding.Ā  But maybe Michael Gallup gets dumped and Bears go bargain hunting for a Samuel and than also one of Renfrow / Gallup and than take a receiver early. I don't see that as all that awful and I don't think Tyler Scott is terrible (he's not great either - but I also believe our wideouts didn't benefit from Field(s) since he was much more of a one read type of QB).Ā Ā 

Ridley to titans/ Mooney to Falcons were good things to help bears get one of the receivers at 9.

2) Washington Commanders - Likely QB
3) New England Patriots - ??
4) Arizona Cardinals -- Likely Receiver
5) Los Angeles Chargers -- IMO, Unlikely Receiver, likely tradeback, possible QB
6) New York Giants -- 50/50 Receiver or QB. Possible they trade up with NE for a QB, and no idea but i'd guess OT/WR 50/50 still
7) Tennessee Titans - Likely OT
šŸ˜Ž Atlanta Falcons - Unlikely WR
9) Chicago Bears -Ā 

Chargers trading back for a team to get QB 4 is the big thing now.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ridley to titans/ Mooney to Falcons were good things to help bears get one of the receivers at 9.

5) Los Angeles Chargers -- IMO, Unlikely Receiver, likely tradeback, possible QB
6) New York Giants -- 50/50 Receiver or QB. Possible they trade up with NE for a QB, and no idea but i'd guess OT/WR 50/50 still
9) Chicago Bears -Ā 

This is true.Ā  Rome and MHJ have the work ethic I would love in a wideout and both seem like just great all around dudes.Ā  Nabers has athleticism that is just insane though - but off field issues.Ā  The one thing I worry about with Rome is - is he good enough of an athlete to be elite (not like his 40 or 3 cone was bad).Ā 

MHJ is elite everywhere.Ā  Rome seems like a really good compliment though and than sign SamuelĀ  (and if you can draft another wideout in 4th or 5th - great do that too).Ā Ā 

24 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Raiders just released Garappolo, Hoyer, Renfrow and DT Jerry Tillery

I do think Renfrow is a solid get. Not sexy and I don't know why his numbers fell apart, but presuming he doesn't have any injury issues he just seems like a solid #3 / #4 wideout who would be a good safety net for a young QB.Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

9) Chicago Bears -Ā 

After seeing what Ridley got paid at age 29, Iā€™m taking whatever WR falls to #9, whether itā€™s Nabers or Odunze. Ā Give Caleb some good weapons to work with ā€” Moore, Nabers/Odunze, Kmet, Everett, and Swift.

3 hours ago, Tony said:

Shows you why Day 1 and Day 2 of the draft are so important. If Velus Jones wasn't a total bust as a 3rd rounder, WR issues become a lot easier to solve. But when you totally whiff, it hurts.Ā 

It also sucks that Scott isn't seen as anything more than a WR4 type.Ā 

5 minutes ago, chw42 said:

It also sucks that Scott isn't seen as anything more than a WR4 type.Ā 

Correct, but for whatever reason, not ready to totally punt on Scott, given what we saw from Mooney last year, not sure how much of the blame goes to Justin/scheme.Ā 

16 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The center they picked up isn't half bad. He isn't good, but he is definitely upgrade over what the Bears had last year.Ā Ā 

Exactly. Poles needs to upgrade positions. Center should literally be the easiest position to do that, given how bad it was last year.Ā 

54 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

The center they picked up isn't half bad. He isn't good, but he is definitely upgrade over what the Bears had last year.Ā Ā 

Heā€™s quite literally an average center in the NFL. Ā Rated right around the middle (17th) of all starting centers.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Sam Howell just got traded to Seattle in a pick swap. Basically moved up a round with 2 picks and gave 2 lower round picks back.Ā Ā 

So basically there 4th and 5th round picks turned into a 3rd and 4th round pick.Ā  I would think that is probably the floor for Justin - the downside is - Seattle was probably one of the better places for Justin to go.Ā  Denver is really the main starting frontier - and I Don't think Field(s) fits Payton much but in fairness he had Tayson Hill and Winston either who probably weren't guys you would have said fit Payton's style.Ā Ā 

12 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Ā 

Ryan Poles really asleep at the wheel.

No signings for the defensive line with a bunch of cap space.

Sam Howell effectively got traded for a top 100 pick and he's apparently not even bothering to trade Fields.

43 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Sam Howell just got traded to Seattle in a pick swap. Basically moved up a round with 2 picks and gave 2 lower round picks back.Ā Ā 

So basically there 4th and 5th round picks turned into a 3rd and 4th round pick.Ā  I would think that is probably the floor for Justin - the downside is - Seattle was probably one of the better places for Justin to go.Ā  Denver is really the main starting frontier - and I Don't think Field(s) fits Payton much but in fairness he had Tayson Hill and Winston either who probably weren't guys you would have said fit Payton's style.Ā Ā 

If you add the trade values of the picks, the difference amounts to the 95th pick in the draft.Ā 

This at least gives you an idea for Fields' value. The problem is that the longer they wait, the less spots they can trade Fields to.Ā 

Yeah, I just don't get it. DJ Wonnum went to the Panthers on a 2 year deal. Why are they just sitting on cap money for this season? Unless they are throwing EVERYONE off, they are going to be paying their QB nothing over the next 3 seasons.Ā