3/31 GT: Sox @ Astros (Lynn v Javier) 7PM, NBCSN

Buehrle>Wood

27 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They rallied to win a game last night and then turn right around and blow a game late tonight.

Graveman has been suspect since the second half of last year and Diekman has been a disaster.

The real kick in the gonads tonight was the fact that all the runs they scored in the 6th and 7th inning came after two outs.

Sox bullpen blows. Average at best. Graveman and Diekman lol. Not good. Just hope Sox can somehow go .500ish on the road and be good at GRate this year. Never good to blow a 3-0 lead no matter who the opponent is. Also Sox hitters 11 K's one walk. 1-1 is a good start but tonight was annoying game. If Sox can split this series we should throw 'em a parade, though. It'd be a great start.

Edited by greg775

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It wouldn't totally shock me if the Sox were to say he's hurt somewhat again. That's been his M.O. even since TLR insisted the Sox sign him.

Glass Joe Kelly 

9 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Montero makes $11 million and blew the save for the Astros yesterday. Pressly gave our supposedly bad offense the lead in the 9th, and he's getting paid more than Graveman and Diekman combined. s%*# happens.

True it does. Of course the Astros have a competent front office that finds ways to do what is needed (legally LOL) to improve the club's chances and to shore up weak areas.

Unfortunately the Sox front office can't make the same claim.

Bummer has been nothing but inconsistent or injured the past few years and Diekman has been a disaster. Somehow the Sox need to find a left hander who can get hitters out if those two guys continue to struggle.

2nd game of the season and some soxtalk posters on suicide watch already. Sheesh calm down. I want them to win more than anybody but this s%*# is crazy. They have played the world champs tough. Is there some adjustments to make hell yeah but I'm seeing a lot positives and a lot of confidence. 

• Like 5

Sox bullpen is so bad mabe they need to move some more guys from starter to pen. Any logical candidates and/or guys to replace them in the rotation? Sox are going to lose so many games while trying to get the last 9-11 outs of games. I'd rather give the team a fighting chance and move some starters to the pen if possible.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Sox bullpen is so bad mabe they need to move some more guys from starter to pen. Any logical candidates and/or guys to replace them in the rotation? Sox are going to lose so many games while trying to get the last 9-11 outs of games. I'd rather give the team a fighting chance and move some starters to the pen if possible.

Given the G.M. did little to bolster the rotation depth this off season, to me that would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

• Like 1

This game hinged on 3 mistakes the Sox made.

1. Letting Lynn pitch to Tucker.  He was over 90 pitches, had just given up a hit, and was borderline.  Bring in Lambert there and the Sox likely finish the 6th up 3-0. 

2. Graveman walking Maldonado.  How do you walk him, he swings at everything.  

3.  Bringing in Diekman with the bases loaded.  He's the worst reliever on the team.  I would have brought in anyone else. 

Those 3 things led to 5 of the Astros 6 runs.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

True it does. Of course the Astros have a competent front office that finds ways to do what is needed (legally LOL) to improve the club's chances and to shore up weak areas.

Unfortunately the Sox front office can't make the same claim.

Bummer has been nothing but inconsistent or injured the past few years and Diekman has been a disaster. Somehow the Sox need to find a left hander who can get hitters out if those two guys continue to struggle.

Is it so necessary to have a left hander? The Astros have all right handers in a very good pen.

2 minutes ago, soxrwhite said:

Yep.............. I also felt the defensive plays by Bregman and Tucker changed the momentum.

5 hours ago, VAfan said:

This game hinged on 3 mistakes the Sox made.

1. Letting Lynn pitch to Tucker.  He was over 90 pitches, had just given up a hit, and was borderline.  Bring in Lambert there and the Sox likely finish the 6th up 3-0. 

2. Graveman walking Maldonado.  How do you walk him, he swings at everything.  

3.  Bringing in Diekman with the bases loaded.  He's the worst reliever on the team.  I would have brought in anyone else. 

Those 3 things led to 5 of the Astros 6 runs.  

Graveman buried a slider on 3-2 with two out and no one on to one of the worst hitters in the league. 

Not sure I understand that thought process. 

Been overall pretty happy so far, great starting pitching, hustle, and Moncada and Anderson look great. Really like Benitendi thus far as well, he gives solid, professional ABs consistently. But the pen is really thin and there's still a glaring lack of discipline at the plate. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Montero makes $11 million and blew the save for the Astros yesterday. Pressly gave our supposedly bad offense the lead in the 9th, and he's getting paid more than Graveman and Diekman combined. s%*# happens.

The difference is the Astro fan base isn’t going “why the f*** is Presley pitching in this situation??”

The Sox bring in their worst bullpen arm to face one of the best hitters in baseball with the bases loaded. It’s really not comparable.