“It’s so frustrating…” Sox, Anderson work to overcome rash of injuries, and Jimenez back for O’s?

caulfield12

https://www.mlb.com/news/white-sox-battling-injuries-early-in-season

“It’s so frustrating,” Anderson said. “You do everything right to try to prevent creating injury and [this was] just something I couldn’t control. I just have to roll with it.

“Just a weird situation. I tried to prevent it. You can’t control injury. But it definitely sucks because I know that I was doing everything I could. Everybody in the organization knows I was doing everything I could to try to stay healthy, and it just didn’t work out that way.”

…..

“Guys here are going to step up in absence of guys that are not in the lineup and help us win baseball games,” manager Pedro Grifol said. “That’s what depth does. This is where opportunity meets preparation, right? So if you prepared in the offseason, you’ve prepared in Spring Training, here’s your opportunity. Go get it.”

“We want our guys in the lineup, and it’s tough,” Burger said. “Last year and this year, you can’t look at last year and say, 'Oh, it’s going to be that way again.' Injuries happen in baseball, and you see every team with guys going on the IL.”

New season same old story. The same players getting 'little' injuries that then turn into bigger injuries. It will only be a matter of time before Grandal or Robert pick up an injury. There is no point having 'talent' if it struggles to get on the field, and constantly missing games with minor injuries then affects form and the replacements we have are not up to it due to the poor squad building of Hahn and co. 

• Like 4

https://theathletic.com/4402950/2023/04/11/white-sox-frustration-mounts/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983

"Normally it’s on the reporter to realize their interview subject has said as much as they have to share about a difficult topic. And those indicators were already present as White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson, sitting at his locker Tuesday rather than standing on the knee he sprained the day before, slid back in his chair and quietly said, “That’s enough.”

He’s given this interview before and thought he had taken steps to avoid giving it again.

“It’s so frustrating,” Anderson said. “I tried to prevent it. You can’t control it. You can’t control injury. But it definitely sucks because I know that I was doing everything I could. Everybody in the organization knows I was doing everything I could to try to stay healthy, and it just didn’t work out that way.”

“It’s frustrating because people came to camp feeling good and as a team too,” said third baseman Yoán Moncada on Tuesday, switching between using a team interpreter and speaking English while discussing his recurring lower back soreness. “Not even a week into the season and we are having all these injuries. That’s the frustrating part. That we are not able to contribute to the team. Sometimes there are things you can’t control."

PTAC deals with injured people all the time.  I have as well.  As a guy trying to deal with a bad back I get it.  Sometimes no matter what you do it acts up and it is frustrating.  Sometimes you also know it is on you.  Backs are one reason I remain scared of Vaughn having issues.  If all it took was running in the outfield over a couple months to have it go, he very well may have issues down the road, or as he ages, or at any f'ing time.

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Seems TA is really feeling a tad bit defensive here... like he was previously accused of not playing through injuries. 

He really has become way too ultra sensitive lately. Besides this episode, TA totally over reacted to the ump not granting him a time-out a few games ago. Plus before the season started, he complained of how the media and fans were being too critical of him and the other Sox players last year.

This is clearly the wrong guy to be our "Face Of The "Franchise."

• Thanks 2
  • TLR 1

7 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

He really has become way too ultra sensitive lately. Besides this episode, TA totally over reacted to the ump not granting him a time-out a few games ago.

It wasn't the umpire granting him time that he was upset about.

5 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

It wasn't the umpire granting him time that he was upset about.

I get that he was made at the pitcher, but if the ump would have granted the time-out none of this would have happened. I'm not so sure that many pitchers in baseball would have stepped off and not thrown the pitch. 

Regardless of what TA was mad at, the point of my comment you seemed to have missed, was TA is extremely sensitive lately and all I was doing was just agreeing with the poster. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play

8 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I get that he was made at the pitcher, but if the ump would have granted the time-out none of this would have happened. I'm not so sure that many pitchers in baseball would have stepped off and not thrown the pitch. 

Regardless of what TA was mad at, the point of my comment you seemed to have missed, was TA is extremely sensitive lately and all I was doing was just agreeing with the poster. 

No, you are right. I saw the interview with Garfien too. He definitely seems a little more salty this year. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

And yet the team will never invest in depth

I am sooo tired of this lack of depth s%*#. 

Really, was there another Tim Anderson out there for the franchise to grab. How about another player with Eloy's bat? Was or is he out there an available?  Another Moncada?  Our backups are just fine as backups go. But they're backups. 

It's silly and unreasonable to somehow imply that "better depth" could replace an Anderson, Eloy, and a Moncada. When you lose players that good, any team or franchise is going to be hurting very badly. 

Just now, vilehoopster said:

Really, was there another Tim Anderson out there for the franchise to grab. How about another player with Eloy's bat? Was or is he out there an available?  Another Moncada?  Our backups are just fine as backups go. But they're backups. 

It's silly and unreasonable to somehow imply that "better depth" could replace an Anderson, Eloy, and a Moncada. When you lose players that good, any team or franchise is going to be hurting very badly. 

The reason you’re so tired of it is because it’s a multi-year, organizational philosophy issue that many of us have been complaining about for all of those years.

Pointing out that the Sox couldn’t sign a star backup shortstop this season is a strawman — literally no one is making that argument. But pretending that consistently competitive franchises haven’t been prioritizing the development and retention of multi-positional, situationally specialized 2-WAR players all over the diamond for almost a decade is being purposefully blind to the reality of the meta-game.

Now that Al Avila is out in Detroit, there’s one team left in baseball that still builds its roster around the idea of nine position players and five starting pitchers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

The reason you’re so tired of it is because it’s a multi-year, organizational philosophy issue that many of us have been complaining about for all of those years.

Pointing out that the Sox couldn’t sign a star backup shortstop this season is a strawman — literally no one is making that argument. But pretending that consistently competitive franchises haven’t been prioritizing the development and retention of multi-positional, situationally specialized 2-WAR players all over the diamond for almost a decade is being purposefully blind to the reality of the meta-game.

Now that Al Avila is out in Detroit, there’s one team left in baseball that still builds its roster around the idea of nine position players and five starting pitchers. 

You can add the Royals and Rockies...Reds...Diamondbacks... Marlins. 

A's do know precisely what they are doing, which is burning that franchise down to the floorboards. 

Had hope for Pitt but Cruz out and Reynolds likely traded. 

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Yeah, they can't just go and add more depth. This is a consequence of deficiencies in the organization before the rebuild. There already was no organizational depth or philosophy underneath a major league team that itself was already going nowhere. They traded the stars they did have and acquired a few very high ceiling prospects - but nothing else. They didn't have the resources for anything else.

I recall five or six years ago that analysts rated minor league systems and though they acknowledged the exceptional talent the Sox had acquired, they rated a couple other orgs still higher because their acquired prospects were closer to mlb-ready. They were right. The Sox' high ceiling talent didn't reach projections and the consequence is the bare cupboard that we still have from before.

6 hours ago, SpringfieldFan said:

Yeah, they can't just go and add more depth. This is a consequence of deficiencies in the organization before the rebuild. There already was no organizational depth or philosophy underneath a major league team that itself was already going nowhere. They traded the stars they did have and acquired a few very high ceiling prospects - but nothing else. They didn't have the resources for anything else.

I recall five or six years ago that analysts rated minor league systems and though they acknowledged the exceptional talent the Sox had acquired, they rated a couple other orgs still higher because their acquired prospects were closer to mlb-ready. They were right. The Sox' high ceiling talent didn't reach projections and the consequence is the bare cupboard that we still have from before.

Giolito, Moncada and Lopez already had big league time. 

The biggest issue is and will be Kopech vs. Devers and getting nothing from the back end of that trade. 

Cease and Jimenez was a haul. 

Dylan took 2-3 years to find himself though. 

Dunning peaked early and led to the Lynn deal. 

When all is said and done, Moncada and Kopech have disappointed the most... Michael at least 50% due to injuries that should have been. expected throwing 97-101 at that time with nearly max effort. 

9 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

The Twins prepared for injuries the Sox not so much. 

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Correct in my opinion. Hahn "hoped" they'd get through the year OK on this issue.

"Hope" is not a strategy. "Hope" rarely works out. 

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/twins-vs-yankees/2023/04/13/718590/live/box

Twins still have four players they didn't plan on starting in the lineup against NYY but at least Correa/Buxton back. 

Solano is going to be yet another Piranha...