2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

8 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

I’d be fine with Condon or Kurtz but they should take whoever the best bat is. 

You must really believe in Kurtz's bat. That's one profile I want the Sox to stay far away from and I think they will.

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  • If Bazzana, Burns, Condon and Smith are off the board, who do you go with?
  • Who do you think Getz will go with, and will Jerry interfere / continue to interfere?
  • Do you think the organization will shift to athletes over batting cage/DH types with Hahn Haber gone?

Have to laugh Jerry slated Jeremy Haber as COO of the NBA 2K League.

1. Cags but he won't be there at 5.

2. I think Getz would love for Smith or Burns to be there at 5.  if not I think they go Rainer.  

3. Very much yes.

Jerry did not like Jeremy Haber.  He was Hahns guy. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DirtySox said:

You must really believe in Kurtz's bat. That's one profile I want the Sox to stay far away from and I think they will.

I think they’ll stay away too but yes, I am a huge believer in Kurtz

• Like 1

BA Mock 1.0. I'd be elated to get Smith. Top of the class has plenty of fine options for picking #5. I also wouldn't mind Montgomery in this spot.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2024-mlb-mock-draft-1-0-charlie-condon-jac-caglianone-make-strong-impressions/

5. White Sox — Hagen Smith, LHP, Arkansas

Like Burns, Smith has come out of the gate strong this spring. He put together one of the best outings of the season in a week two effort against Oregon State where he struck out 17 batters in six shutout innings. Through five starts and 23 innings he has a 1.57 ERA with a silly 58.8% strikeout rate and 9.4% walk rate. He looks stronger and the delivery looks a bit cleaner in 2024. His fastball velocity is up three ticks to 96 mph on average, while his mid-80s slider has been a consistently plus weapon that likely earns some 70 grades. Smith has unique arm talent from the left side that currently puts him near the top of the draft board and a candidate to be the first pitcher selected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am fine with any of the Top 6 in this mock. Generally, I'm against taking pitchers this high because "there's no such thing as a pitching prospect" due to injuries and inconsistencies. But, for me, Burns, Smith, and Montgomery are all in the same tier. I just don't want them to cut a deal with Kurtz so they can afford two college arms coming off TJS with their second round picks.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Did the Giants signing Snell actually move us up a spot in the draft to #68 or were we already there prior to the signing? I couldn't remember if Snell cost the Giants their 2nd RD pick or just their 3rd since they already signed Chapman. 🤔

Sox moved to 68 for Chapman signing. It stays there for Snell because Giants only forfeited a third 

• Like 1