Robert benched mid game for not hustling and/or tweaked hammy

caulfield12

15 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No. Some people are just jerks or full if themselves and don't listen. That's a possibility but not a given. 

And if that’s the case, when you met with him earlier in the offseason you outline what will happen if he doesn’t work with them.

”Our number 1 goal with you this year is health. We need you to participate with it this way and work with us honestly. But if you won’t, then we will have to be much more aggressive in taking away your playing time and resting you, because we can’t let minor injuries build up until you can’t swing like last year. Either you work with us or we have to treat you like Buxton.”

I look at Robert having one day off in all of April and suddenly having a sore unmanaged leg, or Anderson playing the first 12 games in crappy April weather without an Offday then getting hurt, or Burger playing 15 straight games after his two Achilles injuries, and I say “this is just a rerun.”

Theres very little room to criticize Grifol on lineups or bullpen decisions so far because Rick Hahn gave him a terrible ball club, all his options are bad. But here, we’re seeing the same failure to develop any professionalism that has been the hallmark of the Rick Hahn years, over all 4 of his managers, and we got a window into it under this staff yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

And if that’s the case, when you met with him earlier in the offseason you outline what will happen if he doesn’t work with them.

”Our number 1 goal with you this year is health. We need you to participate with it this way and work with us honestly. But if you won’t, then we will have to be much more aggressive in taking away your playing time and resting you, because we can’t let minor injuries build up until you can’t swing like last year. Either you work with us or we have to treat you like Buxton.”

I look at Robert having one day off in all of April and suddenly having a sore unmanaged leg, or Anderson playing the first 12 games in crappy April weather without an Offday then getting hurt, or Burger playing 15 straight games after his two Achilles injuries, and I say “this is just a rerun.”

Theres very little room to criticize Grifol on lineups or bullpen decisions so far because Rick Hahn gave him a terrible ball club, all his options are bad. But here, we’re seeing the same failure to develop any professionalism that has been the hallmark of the Rick Hahn years, over all 4 of his managers, and we got a window into it under this staff yesterday.

It's possible it all happened the way you outlined. Maybe they went through it all he still didn't listen, had the discussion behind closed doors still didn't listen and that's why it has ended in a benching during the game. 

Grifol doesn't seem like a guy to have a knee jerk reaction to a single incident. He seems pretty calm and thoughtful. 

Not knowing the whole situation there is no way to know for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

13 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Its a possibility but players performance isn't necessarily tied to it. After 30+ years of working with athletes I'm biased but it's usually the athletes that have the out of control egos. 

When Grifol was hired there were many players who loved and respected the guy and reaved about him. 

Without knowing the people involved it could be either. I wouldn't jump to conclusions either way. 

I don't know and I am not trying to jump to conclusions but something is very wrong here. Nearly the entire team is playing below their ability and I do view the incident yesterday as a management error. Just should not have been the story it became. You want to make a statement to the team? Fine, then make it to the team. Saying something publicly is such a CYA move and will not play well in the long run. Makes me wonder how this team is run.

I'm sorry but every day, I become less and less impressed with Grifol. Maybe it's just the losing and, perhaps, the return of some players will help. Just been an awful start for the manager but I actually blame the FO as much or more. This just wasn't the right place for Grifol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

I don't know and I am not trying to jump to conclusions but something is very wrong here. Nearly the entire team is playing below their ability and I do view the incident yesterday as a management error. Just should not have been the story it became. You want to make a statement to the team? Fine, then make it to the team. Saying something publicly is such a CYA move and will not play well in the long run. Makes me wonder how this team is run.

I'm sorry but every day, I become less and less impressed with Grifol. Maybe it's just the losing and, perhaps, the return of some players will help. Just been an awful start for the manager but I actually blame the FO as much or more. This just wasn't the right place for Grifol.

As with most things it's rarely one person or one sides total fault. There is usually issues for both sides. 

I would guess there was a meeting privately. Grifol doesn't seem like a guy who would do this after only one incident. However, I don't know him so I could be wrong and he lost his temper and pulled for just this incident. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soxfaninfl said:

And why do I think this may be a holdover from Jose? Think he always informed management when he didn’t feel 100%?

The mistake here was releasing the statement that Robert was pulled as a managerial decision. Throwing a player under the proverbial bus - publicly - almost always turns out badly especially on a team playing as poorly as the Sox. Say he was pulled as a precaution and deal with the issue in the clubhouse.

This. Sox FO and ownership go out of their way to throw players under the bus and to scream to the World they are the smartest. Whoever fed that to Merkin to print needs to STFU the same as whoever ratted Robert out to Grifol and what’s his name coach.

Also, while it’s true the Royals also suck, as an organization Dayton Moore built at least for a few years a winning model far superior to anything Hahn has built or can build. Compared to the Royals, the Sox are a step down in terms of competence and ability as an organization.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

Just saw this. Chuck was pissed and as always Gordon is much better doing pre and post game than he is in the booth imo...

Call me when this team paid hack rips Reinsdorf and Hahn for being far more incompetent and indifferent with trying to win Sox baseball games.

This is the same assclown bitched about Renteria daily and kissed Tony La Russa’s ass for most of two seasons. He is a hand puppet there to spew Reinsdorf Hahn talking points, nothing more or less. He is TV Bob Nightengale.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Call me when this team paid hack rips Reinsdorf and Hahn for being far more incompetent and indifferent with trying to win Sox baseball games.

This is the same assclown bitched about Renteria daily and kissed Tony La Russa’s ass for most of two seasons. He is a hand puppet there to spew Reinsdorf Hahn talking points, nothing more or less. He is TV Bob Nightengale.

Can I just message you if that happens? I don't have your phone #.

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

Can I just message you if that happens? I don't have your phone #.

This works, though I'm really here the past week because of the streak and will returning to hiatus until Hahn / Jerry or gone or they go on another tragic run. Stayed away the offseason and first few weeks as I stopped watching or following. This current stretch is hopefully once in a lifetime for Sox fans.

8 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This works, though I'm really here the past week because of the streak and will returning to hiatus until Hahn / Jerry or gone or they go on another tragic run. Stayed away the offseason and first few weeks as I stopped watching or following. This current stretch is hopefully once in a lifetime for Sox fans.

I sure damn hope so...but when will it end??

14 hours ago, chitown87 said:

Maybe the whole "eating domino's everyday against the wishes of the organization" thing should have been a red flag

Didn't Moncada eat Twinkies all the time? Or am I remembering that wrong??

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, soxfaninfl said:

Scapegoating the most valuable position player on the roster doesn't seem like a brilliant idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Darrin Jackson is the only guy associated with Sox broadcasting that deserves our respect. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Darrin Jackson is the only guy associated with Sox broadcasting that deserves our respect. 

I like Len Kasper as well. Don't have cablevision, and when games were on free TV I'd mute the TV broadcast and listen to Farmeo and Jackson and his color work with Rooney.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

Or is this why no one outbid the Sox for him? The Sox don't typically spend the most on a player. 

Maybe it's a Jalen Carter situation and everyone else passed. 

Who knows, but he wasn't a pro yet. The point of Jeff Passan was the Rays like to get current ML players underachieving and turn them around and make them better.

11 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Who knows, but he wasn't a pro yet. The point of Jeff Passan was the Rays like to get current ML players underachieving and turn them around and make them better.

They do that well. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hankchifan said:

Couldn’t the Sox have hired a manager or at least a coach from the Rays instead of a losing organization like the Royals. Would have been a much better investment. IMO.

Don't say that to a Boston fan.  They hate their GM who is a Tampa grad.

27 minutes ago, hankchifan said:

I believe his last name is Montoyo not Montoya.  He was Blue Jays manager for a while. This bench coach has been as invisible as Cairo las year.

I was positive Cairo didn't exist for most of last season

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hankchifan said:

I believe his last name is Montoyo not Montoya.  He was Blue Jays manager for a while. This bench coach has been as invisible as Cairo las year.

A survey conducted at the stadium today found 69% of White Sox players, but only 13% of Front Office Baseball Personnel knew and could name White Sox Bench Coach Charlie Montoyo.

The same survey found 88% of White Sox players, and 59% of Front Office Baseball Personnel remembered the  fictional lead character of Scarface, Tony Montana played by Al Pacino. 100% of correct respondents also imitated Tony Montana after answering this question.

• caulfield12 changed the title to Robert benched mid game for not hustling and/or tweaked hammy