Robert benched mid game for not hustling and/or tweaked hammy

caulfield12

16 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I like Len Kasper as well. Don't have cablevision, and when games were on free TV I'd mute the TV broadcast and listen to Farmeo and Jackson and his color work with Rooney.

That brings back great memories of hearing Ed Farmer's voice. He will always be in my book the best play by play broadcaster ever in Sox history. I really miss his calls and wry humor exchanges with Darrin Jackson.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

That brings back great memories of hearing Ed Farmer's voice. He will always be in my book the best play by play broadcaster ever in Sox history. I really miss his calls and wry humor exchanges with Darrin Jackson.

As a play by play broadcaster I have to disagree with you. Ed was absolutely terrific as an analyst. His work with John Rooney was first rate. As a play by play person, he was out of his element.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, wegner said:

Just saw this. Chuck was pissed and as always Gordon is much better doing pre and post game than he is in the booth imo...

This is one area where Beckham can actually provide helpful insight.  He’s much better when he doesn’t have to fill dad air, or feels the need to fill dead air.  They both are spot on here and it really speaks to the dysfunction still going in inside the locker room. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

As a play by play broadcaster I have to disagree with you. Ed was absolutely terrific as an analyst. His work with John Rooney was first rate. As a play by play person, he was out of his element.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Ed as a color analyst too. I just recall him more in the radio booth with DJ.  Ed knew baseball well and explained it a way that made sense. He didn't have to get all dramatic to make it entertaining. His sense of humor was one of a kind. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Hawk 1

2 minutes ago, Donny Lucy's Avocado Farm said:

Dude's gonna end up like Max Muncy and flourish with an org that actually coaches players. 

Not sure even Hahn's dumb enough to trade him to the Dodgers, Padres, Yankees, etc.

At least trade him to a small or mid market team in need of a superstar, like the A's/Reds/Pirates/Rockies/Brewers, etc.

Also won't be trading him within the division.

Haseley having one hot game is now going to result in even more of a national story if they leave Robert on the bench but not IL'ed for the start of the Twins' series.

Haseley playing over Robert does nothing to increase Luis' trade value, ultimately...that's the only thing that really matters now in the big picture.

• TLR 1

On 4/30/2023 at 8:05 AM, The Kids Can Play said:

You're absolutely right the Rays would make Robert or some others on this Sox team more productive. 

I have a story to share that will prove this. I was driving yesterday afternoon listening to ESPN radio and they had Jeff Passan on. I will paraphrase the interview. Jeff Passan was asked, why does he feel the Rays are always so good with such a small payroll. Passan stated an interesting fact about this years' Rays team you might find surprising, because for sure Jeff did. Of the 26 man roster for the Rays currently, it consists of seven home grown players through the Rays farm system, two free agents and the remaining 17 players via trades. Of course since the Rays have such a strong farm system yearly, they can afford to give up some of their prospects, or current players the Rays feel they have gotten the max out of and time to move on from. The Rays philosophy for many years has been to strategically evaluate players on all ML teams. The Rays look for specific players on reasonable contacts and that are underachieving, but in their mind have huge upside potential. The Rays have a proven track record of tweaking and developing these players off trades and making these players more productive with better results. This is a part of the Rays successful approach to player development, being forced to operate with one of the lowest payrolls each year.

I don't know why this would shock anyone. They've been doing it for years. Hell it's what I did the last several off seasons.

As Sox fans we always want to compete with the big boys and spend over $100M  but that's like asking JR to cut off his right arm. But then JR hates paying for potential so what's that leave the Sox to do? You get veterans hoping for some good years and pay them midrange salaries. Lynn, Kimbrel,Keuchel, Benintendi, Pollock, LaRoche, Dunn, Kelly, Graveman, Samardzija, Shields ; the list is endless. But if as a fan on a message board you start suggesting undervalued players you get blasted for it, "He's not even rated, he's too old." If you post about it enough and post enough info on why you like certain players you still get blasted because even if you list 10 good reasons someone picks out the one that makes the least sense like a good but small sample size MLB stats.

There is some reward doing that when you convince a few people that hey maybe that guy is worth a shot but the chances of you actually being right is small so the naysayers play the odds of " he is who he is to this point in his career." But as you now know this is exactly what the Rays do. Their mentality is this kid is more than he appears to be. He is under valued and they may get several guys like that for the guy they are trading so they have 2 times the chance for it to pan out

There are people on this board who have been begging for the Sox to do it like the Rays for years . Hahn could've chose that direction for many years during the rebuild but they always wanted to supplement the core with vets which is the same way they became mediocre that led to the rebuild in the 1st place. You could get veterans but also since the Rays way is cheap Hahn could've made many smaller moves trading young veterans who may have maxed out. But better too soon than too late to maximize the potential return. He got Santos for McClure but that's a  minor trade.

Outside of trading Sale, Quintana and Eaton, Hahn has very little during his tenure of trading youngish vets  with a few years left before free agency to replenish the farm. Even if you just trade 1 guy like that per year you're restocking the farm and bringing in young talent year after year. Then when that young talent gives you 2-4 decent years you trade them off too and keep the new fresh talent cycle going so there are always MLB players on the horizon.

Of course that requires a lot of good eyes for talent and it's development and we have seen over the years that the Sox don't appear to be good at that either.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2