White Sox vs. Royals 5/8 6:40 NBCSC

Royals broadcast showed that guys are hitting Cease to a .321 clip 3rd time through the order

I'm starting to wonder if this is because he's calling his own pitches and hes falling into patterns that hitters are picking up

Would be interesting to see what pitches he's calling to each guy, each AB, to see if he's just going to the same sequence everytime or if he's changing pitch sequences and he's just missing his spots badly

• Hawk 1

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, almagest said:

Also the bullpen falling apart continually like this is unreal. I’ve suspected Katz was bad at bullpen management for a while but this is beyond bad. 

Why was Katz hired in the first place, before he was hired by the Sox he spent 1 whole year in the Majors as the assistant pitching coach with the Giants but then why was Hahn hired?

36 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Royals broadcast showed that guys are hitting Cease to a .321 clip 3rd time through the order

I'm starting to wonder if this is because he's calling his own pitches and hes falling into patterns that hitters are picking up

Would be interesting to see what pitches he's calling to each guy, each AB, to see if he's just going to the same sequence everytime or if he's changing pitch sequences and he's just missing his spots badly

I could not get over how many times he would get two strikes on a batter and then give up a big hit.  He just could not come up with that "put away" pitch. Also, he seemed to be throwing a lot of his breaking pitches into the dirt, not even tempting the batter to swing.

29 minutes ago, Tomtom said:

I could not get over how many times he would get two strikes on a batter and then give up a big hit.  He just could not come up with that "put away" pitch. Also, he seemed to be throwing a lot of his breaking pitches into the dirt, not even tempting the batter to swing.

He watches so many Sox hitters swinging at pitches in the dirt that he thinks the rest of the hitters in MLB are as dumb as Sox hitters, just dumber than dirt, no pun intended.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Who gets credit for Rodon 2021 and Cueto 2020?

Santos and Middleton?

Lambert?

Not sure how he's responsible for Lynn and Clevinger at this stage in their careers.

He gets credit and now blame for Cease, or Dylan was always going to be consistent?

Giolito has recovered nicely this season, compared to last.

Kopech...I guess there's another enigma.

Not going to pick on Katz particularly and there have been some improvements. Gio and Yaz looking much better than last year (really not saying much in Yaz’ case). Burger (for a while), Sheets has been decent at the plate and, yes, Santos and Middleton have contributed nicely.

However, every other player has regressed. And what does every player listed above have in common outside of Gio and Yaz? All are trying to stay at the MLB level. Why are the Sox here?

This team plays too tight, thinks too much, and mostly plays joyless. Is it the players or management? Sure, losing can take the joy out of anything but this team plays scared. Again, why?

8 hours ago, Stinky Stanky said:

He's bad at something, never deserved the halo so many of you had hung on him, but when you don't have a reliable arm in the pen, bullpen management is not the problem.

Most of these guys have a decent track record and you wouldn't expect them to fall apart so badly.

4 minutes ago, almagest said:

Most of these guys have a decent track record and you wouldn't expect them to fall apart so badly.

Who would we honestly say has shocked or even surprised with their performance though? 

Lynn...not really. 

Clevinger...no. 

Kopech... maybe just overhyped and lacking in the secondary stuff command that turned so many starters into relievers in the first place?  Or just too many injuries and missed development innings? 

Maybe Cease?  Never a sure thing to repeat Top 5 Cy Young position. 

Lopez?  Not in that particular role that he'd never experienced consistent success with... 

Bummer...not really. 

Kelly has been bad for a long time, but looked much better recently. 

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Who would we honestly say has shocked or even surprised with their performance though? 

Lynn...not really. 

Clevinger...no. 

Kopech... maybe just overhyped and lacking in the secondary stuff command that turned so many starters into relievers in the first place?  Or just too many injuries and missed development innings? 

Maybe Cease?  Never a sure thing to repeat Top 5 Cy Young position. 

Lopez?  Not in that particular role that he'd never experienced consistent success with... 

Bummer...not really. 

Kelly has been bad for a long time, but looked much better recently. 

I don't expect them to have a team ERA near 6. That's disaster territory.