Old Sox Drawer: 2023 Edition

maxjusttyped

On 4/26/2023 at 6:21 PM, Quin said:

Man, I remember seeing Burdi pitch in High-A last year against the Cyclones.

The Rays are baseball's gold standard, so watch Burdi become an all-star closer.

I always thought with the good stuff Zack Burdi had, he would be a keeper. This was a great example of the Sox having poor coaching when it comes to developing pitchers. 

Edited by The Kids Can Play

1 hour ago, The Kids Can Play said:

I always thought with the good stuff Zack Burdi had, he would be a keeper. This was a great example of the Sox having poor coaching when it comes to developing pitchers. 

I mean, it didn't work in Tampa.

Edit: But also, yeah. The Sox should have probably been able to do something with him.

5 hours ago, Quin said:

I mean, it didn't work in Tampa.

Edit: But also, yeah. The Sox should have probably been able to do something with him.

Two best organizations in baseball saw something there with him...Dodgers with an absolutely insane laundry list of pitching injuries. 

Edited by caulfield12

10 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Always thought his mechanics screamed huge injury concerns

Yency Almonte pitching for Dodgers against Rays down 1 in the 9th. 

7.15 era but retired first 2... now 1-2-3 inning ends with a K. 

Seems every Sox former pitcher ending up with Yankees Rays Dodgers lol. 

"Prior to the 2015 season, Almonte was acquired by the Chicago White Sox as the player to be named later from an earlier trade for Gordon Beckham.[2] He pitched that season with the Kannapolis Intimidators and Winston-Salem Dash where he posted a combined 11–7 record and 3.41 ERA in 24 games (22 starts)."

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Aside from everyone, who knew Dylan Covey was so awful?

Well, look at the Dodgers' injured list of just pitching alone...it's insane how many have gone down and they're still one of the 3-5 best teams in baseball despite Peralta Thompson and Heyward making up 2/3rd's of their starting OF on any given night.

On 5/27/2023 at 11:22 AM, The Kids Can Play said:

IIRC, his fastball was as straight as a string when on the Sox; probably still is, though I have not seen him.

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, look at the Dodgers' injured list of just pitching alone...it's insane how many have gone down and they're still one of the 3-5 best teams in baseball despite Peralta Thompson and Heyward making up 2/3rd's of their starting OF on any given night.

What does that have to do with Dylan Covey?

9 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

What does that have to do with Dylan Covey?

Nothing. 

I made a mistake listening to too many other team's broadcasts (especially Dodgers/Rays) because the Sox are too depressing.  Though the was on LAD. 

He's actually on the Phillies, attempting to defend their NL championship. 

At any rate, like many Sox castoffs... now in a winning organization. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Diekman created a no out bases loaded situation against the A's in a tie game late but escaped with a DP ball and then another reliever took out Rooker to preserve the tie.  Now 4-3 Rays late. 

ERA down to 5.64. 

I didn't see it, but I bet it was even better than El Duque escaping that jam against Boston.