Eloy...yet again...

Lip Man 1

Allegedly Eloy was available off the bench tonight, but hard to believe after they used everyone else and he would have been a good PH option if available.

Hopefully he is healthy enough to DH in NY.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/white-soxs-eloy-jimenez-available-off-bench/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

It's the INJURED LIST old man.

WTF.  Does the word "disabled" offend you?  It was called the DL for over 100 years, and it was acceptable until a bunch of political zealots got your collective way.  Asshole.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

WTF.  Does the word "disabled" offend you?  It was called the DL for over 100 years, and it was acceptable until a bunch of political zealots got your collective way.  Asshole.

Disabled means someone with restricted abilities, either long term or permanent.

Injured denotes an injury an athlete is expected to recover from over time and possibly physical therapy.

Incapable describes one’s limitations or talent, such as Grandal’s inability to catch breaking balls, or Madrigal’s inability to make smart baseball decisions at any facet of the game.

The word Eloy is an amalgamation of all three words.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

On 7/17/2023 at 5:06 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

PTATC: I thought you'd be interested in this (if you haven't seen it already). It is from my "State of the Sox" story this past November. Spoke with a half dozen sources for it.

Keep in mind over the last six years or so the Sox have gone through three trainers and members of the strength and conditioning staffs have been let go.

On the constant injuries

“Alan Thomas (Author’s Note: Thomas was the Director of Strength and Conditioning) was let go because his son was draft eligible and he was told the Sox no longer wanted to draft sons of members of the organization. Turns out his kid is playing center field for the Diamondbacks. I’m not saying he’d be playing center field for us but he’s good enough to be in the Major Leagues. I don’t know the new guy they brought in, but guys are getting hurt left and right.” (Author’s Note: I had heard Thomas disagreed with the results of the Sox injury study conducted last winter which was never released to the media or public. I was told he felt the Sox issues were only caused by the COVID restrictions. “The Sox play checkers where others teams play chess” when it comes to injury prevention, conditioning, nutrition, sleep schedules is a phrase I had heard mentioned.)

“The White Sox playing shorthanded started in 2007 when Jermaine Dye got hurt and Kenny Williams refused to call up Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney. Maybe they were cheap, maybe they wanted to protect Herm’s record of keeping guys off the DL.” (Author’s Note: Herm Schneider was the Sox longtime head trainer and for years the Sox were among the league leaders in keeping players healthy.) 

“Jake Peavy made the comment one time, ‘They have no reservations about playing shorthanded.”

“You know about Mike Reinold right? (Author’s Note: Reinold is the White Sox Senior Medical Advisor) He was fired by the Red Sox because he was injecting players with Toradol.” (Author’s Note: Bleacher Report had a story on this situation published in February 2013. Here is the link to that story: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1530943-ex-red-sox-trainer-mike-reinold-injected-players-with-controversial-substance) 

“Given the inordinate amount of soft-tissue injuries they have had you’d think that they would do a complete change in the training, conditioning and nutritional areas.”

Wow, interesting and very telling article. Once again nobody should be surprised on why Jerry and his front office losers keep destroying this franchise. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Wow, interesting and very telling article. Once again nobody should be surprised on why Jerry and his front office losers keep destroying this franchise. 

"The State of the Sox union is strong...Not!"

(Can only be done in Kazakh Borat voice.)

• Like 1

Eloy raking again. He has been great pretty much since recovering from an appendectomy.  He's a great kid, apparently a good son,  and a fan favorite.  Love to see him put up numbers like he did in the second half last season and as always, torch the cubs.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

On 7/18/2023 at 6:46 PM, soxfan49 said:

Are you Eloy's dad? The guy is a buster. He's as unreliable as it gets

5 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy raking again. He has been great pretty much since recovering from an appendectomy.  He's a great kid, apparently a good son,  and a fan favorite.  Love to see him put up numbers like he did in the second half last season and as always, torch the cubs.

🕵️‍♂️

Thankfully X Rays are negative on AV's foot for any fracture. We cannot afford to lose his bat if we are going to make a bit of a run.  And my bad, I thought he did not start against Verlander because of the tough match-up. Maybe AV needs an even more substantial guard for his foot when he is at the plate.

Edited by tray
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, tray said:

Thankfully X Rays are negative on AV's foot for any fracture. We cannot afford to lose his bat if we are going to make a bit of a run.  And my bad, I thought he did not start against Verlander because of the tough match-up. Maybe AV needs an even more substantial guard for his foot when he is at the plate.

No run is forthcoming especially when they deal half the pitching staff.

Regarding Eloy, I hope he rakes for the next 10 days, then he can go to someone else and continue missing games for various ways, means, aches and pains.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

No run is forthcoming especially when they deal half the pitching staff.

Regarding Eloy, I hope he rakes for the next 10 days, then he can go to someone else and continue missing games for various ways, means, aches and pains.  

Eloy is the type of bat we have not seen since Big Frank. He has a great eye at the plate and immense power to all fields.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, tray said:

Eloy is the type of bat we have not seen since Big Frank. He has a great eye at the plate and immense power to all fields.

One big difference, Frank actually played most of his games. He had some serious injuries but over the course of his career he played in a much higher percentage of games than Eloy, who I think I read has only played in 54% of all possible contests.

The second coming of Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays doesn't mean s%*# if he isn't in the lineup.

19 times, let me repeat myself (as Spike Lee used to say in the shoe commercials with MJ) 19 times now he's missed multiple games because of injuries. 

Something has really gone off the rails wouldn't you say????? 

Do you count the latest one day absence and the appendectomy this year against Eloy....or the injury celebrating a home run...or the injury and surgery because he  reached over the fence to catch a home run? Give the kid a break. Al major league players sustain injuries. Eloy has been switched to DH and it appears that he is in better physical condition now. We need his bat in the line-up or we don't have a chance, this year or next year. You don't deal away superstar players or those who have that upside because they are not easy to replace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, tray said:

Do you count the latest one day absence and the appendectomy this year against Eloy....or the injury celebrating a home run...or the injury and surgery because he  reached over the fence to catch a home run? Give the kid a break. Al major league players sustain injuries. Eloy has been switched to DH and it appears that he is in better physical condition now. We need his bat in the line-up or we don't have a chance, this year or next year. You don't deal away superstar players or those who have that upside because they are not easy to replace.

That’s the whole point. He can’t stay in the lineup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, tray said:

Your so-called superstar players/superstar upsides have .776 and .738 OPS numbers this year and both have well over 1000 career plate appearances. The Atlanta Braves appear to be performing at Eloy's level or better with 8 of their 9 regular starters and their backup catcher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hard to fault Tray’s optimism and support of Eloy. That is what fandom is about. I like players not living up to expectations like Vaughn, Tim and Zavala. 

Eloy seems like a great person, just hope one day he can put it all together either here or elsewhere. Hoping Kim Ng still likes him and they can reach a deal this off-season, as her team is second oldest in the MLB and can use quality younger players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tray said:

It was longer than one day and yes he missed time...it counts... like DVS wrote in his story on him last month. The appendix was unfortunate of course but it goes down in the books as yet another situation where instead of being on the field he's sitting at home.  

19 times since he came up...and counting (and some of those injuries, at least three, occurred when he comically tried playing the outfield.)

And I hate to break the news to you but they are going to be just as bad or worse next year with gaping holes in the pitching staff, a reduced payroll (so help won't be coming) and injury-prone guys another year older. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hard to fault Tray’s optimism and support of Eloy. That is what fandom is about. I like players not living up to expectations like Vaughn, Tim and Zavala. 

Eloy seems like a great person, just hope one day he can put it all together either here or elsewhere. Hoping Kim Ng still likes him and they can reach a deal this off-season, as her team is second oldest in the MLB and can use quality younger players.

You're right that Eloy seems like a super nice guy, very likeable and good teammate. I'm quite sure when they talk about the cancer in the clubhouse, Eloy is absolutely not part of that problem. The problem is why many of us get so down on him, is because he has so much potential and could be major HR/RBI producer. We as die-hard fans get angry with him and vent on Eloy, because we don't understand why he hasn't learned how to take better care of his body. 

I too hope Eloy can put it all together someday and be that player for the Sox and not see him do it for another team that figures it out and fixes him. 

• Hawk 1

15 hours ago, tray said:

With all due respect, there is absolutely no comparison of Eloy's batting to the Big Hurt. Even if Eloy played healthy all the time as Frank did, there would still be no comparison. During Frank's best years in a Sox uniform, which were many, he put up numbers equal to Ted Williams. Btw, Eloy does not have a great batting eye like Frank had. 

• Thanks 3

On 7/20/2023 at 6:29 PM, tray said:

Guys regularly rob home runs and don't hurt themselves

Most guys don't hurt themselves celebrating home runs

What point are you trying to make?

• Like 1

On 7/20/2023 at 6:22 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

One big difference, Frank actually played most of his games. He had some serious injuries but over the course of his career he played in a much higher percentage of games than Eloy, who I think I read has only played in 54% of all possible contests.

The second coming of Hank Aaron, Mickey Mantle or Willie Mays doesn't mean s%*# if he isn't in the lineup.

19 times, let me repeat myself (as Spike Lee used to say in the shoe commercials with MJ) 19 times now he's missed multiple games because of injuries. 

Something has really gone off the rails wouldn't you say????? 

Jimenez is barely even Dayan Viciedo let alone Frank Thomas.

• Like 1

So much hate for Eloy.

The hate would not be there if we were a winning team.

We don't suck because of Eloy.

We suck because of........

Moncada, andrus, colas/sheets, kopech, most bullpen guys (too many to name) Tim Anderson, Lynn, Vaughn.........

ELOY is not the problem. We are blinded. Put ELOY on Tampa or Atlanta and watch what happens 

Understand baseball and what you see.......you should see a lot of s%*# when u watch white sox baseball........ELOY is not that

• Love 1