7/27/23: Cleveland Guardians @ Chicago White Sox - 7:10 PM CDT TV: NBCSCH & Radio WMVP AM 1000

39 minutes ago, whitesoxfan99 said:

The tough part about this rebuild is that other than Robert there isn’t a single good player in the majors that will be around (or at least should be) past next year and there isn’t a lot of premium talent in the minors and the two that they have (in Schultz and Montgomery) are a ways off and who knows how they develop and even if they do, do we really think the Sox organization will have enough depth around them to be good?

That's why Sox aren't winning anytime soon. ... I was talking to a friend who was all about the White Sox his entire life. Said he now can't even name the players. Apathy.

I told him the pitching staff was unbelievably bad and the hitters pretty much all are easy outs. Couple fastballs chased then a cutter in the dirt or outside, whiff.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Oz was funny last night when he said they should keep the team together and add in the offseason. Chuck said 'you are talking about the Cubs right?' Oz said 'yes, the White Sox .... they need to get rid of everybody including the parking attendant.'

Ha, he’s right.

10 minutes ago, fathom said:

Brewers

Good call.

5 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

I would NEVER let my kids root for the Cubs. Worst case I'll have them follow the Brewers or wherever the Sox move to if that's the case. Not obligated to root for a Chicago team only (hell I grew up a Dolphins fan before settling on the Bears after Marino retired cuz they stopped showing Dolphins games here).

No way I’m staying a fan if they relocate.

• Like 1

If the Sox move: 

Can't root for the Cardinals, because Cardinal fans are Blues fans. 

Can't root for the Brewers, because Brewer fans are Packer fans. 

I still hate the Twins with a passion, and I probably want to stick in the AL. 

So I'll have to go shopping. 

West coast teams are out of the question. 

Edited by baseballgalaly

11 minutes ago, baseballgalaly said:

If the Sox move: 

Can't root for the Cardinals, because Cardinal fans are Blues fans. 

Can't root for the Brewers, because Brewer fans are Packer fans. 

I still hate the Twins with a passion, and I probably want to stick in the AL. 

So I'll have to go shopping. 

West coast teams are out of the question. 

I have a home in Florida and I enjoy watching the Rays.

Marlins are somewhat enjoyable too, just they have those putrid uniforms.

21 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Talk to me in about 8 years when they ask the state for a new ballpark.

Jerry would be 95. Not to be macabre but most likely there is a new owner by then.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wegner said:

Jerry would be 95. Not to be macabre but most likely there is a new owner by then.

That’s part of the story. Underperforming asset, fanbase that starved to death. Ending of a true sweetheart deal for the stadium, no desire from the state to repeat that mistake. Sold to owners, maybe with an out of town connection or two.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

That’s part of the story. Underperforming asset, fanbase that starved to death. Ending of a true sweetheart deal for the stadium, no desire from the state to repeat that mistake. Sold to owners, maybe with an out of town connection or two.

Well I'd probably be done with baseball if they move besides the occasional yelling at people in Cubbie blue to stay off my lawn, sidewalk, etc.

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

What are the odds that Hahn’s plan to compete next year involves trading one or more of them?

I think there’s more than a decent chance that he buys in December. “Buy” meaning trading prospects for veterans.  I could see him rushing up better pitching prospects into the pen. as he’s done many times before. He may scorch more earth than he did in 2016.  He doesn’t learn from mistakes.  He repeats them.

but if it gets rid of him when his contract expires at the end of 24 then it’s worth it.

9 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

I think there’s more than a decent chance that he buys in December. “Buy” meaning trading prospects for veterans.  I could see him rushing up better pitching prospects into the pen. as he’s done many times before. He may scorch more earth than he did in 2016.  He doesn’t learn from mistakes.  He repeats them.

but if it gets rid of him when his contract expires at the end of 24 then it’s worth it.

Jokes on him, they have no real pitching prospects even close to the majors

2 hours ago, fathom said:

I’ve heard it said in the press by a few people now, but Sox fans deserve better than this.  This team is terrible in every aspect. 

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose

Nothin', that's all Rick Hahn left me.....

- Kris Kristofferson, Fred L. Foster & South Side Hit Men

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I have a home in Florida and I enjoy watching the Rays.

Marlins are somewhat enjoyable too, just they have those putrid uniforms.

I assume on TV because the Trop is a pit these days.

10 hours ago, wegner said:

At 95, the mathematical chances are slim based on national averages. Even if he was still alive at 95 which is quite possible, the greater chance is, he will have seriously lost his cognitive skills either by Alzheimer or Dementia and not able to run the Sox anymore.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Kids Can Play said:

At 95, the mathematical chances are slim based on national averages. Even if he was still alive at 95 which is quite possible, the greater chance is, he will have seriously lost his cognitive skills either by Alzheimer or Dementia and not able to run the Sox anymore.

Half of elected DC consists of red and blue team people you describe above.

Jerry can last a very long time. See Chicago Bears for more info.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Half of elected DC consists of red and blue team people you describe above.

Jerry can last a very long time. See Chicago Bears for more info.

Virginia is an aberration and trust me, she is making zero decisions for the bears. That would be fine if Jerry would take the role of Virginia and let his sons run it.

2 hours ago, SCCWS said:

I assume on TV because the Trop is a pit these days.

We live 90 miles south of the Trop and I watch just about every Rays game and pull for them except when they play the Sox. The Trop isn’t as bad as it’s been made out to be, it’s those rings that support the dome that make the place cheesy. I watch the Marlins also if the Sox or Rays aren’t playing in fact I saw the Marlins win the 1997 World Series attending the last 2 games at Pro Player Stadium as they beat the Indians in a 7 game series. 
If the Sox left Chicago I’d feel bad as they are my last ties to the city, the Rays would then take over as my favorite team but they could never be part of my DNA like the Sox have for 71 years.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

We live 90 miles south of the Trop and I watch just about every Rays game and pull for them except when they play the Sox. The Trop isn’t as bad as it’s been made out to be, it’s those rings that support the dome that make the place cheesy. I watch the Marlins also if the Sox or Rays aren’t playing in fact I saw the Marlins win the 1997 World Series attending the last 2 games at Pro Player Stadium as they beat the Indians in a 7 game series. 
If the Sox left Chicago I’d feel bad as they are my last ties to the city, the Rays would then take over as my favorite team but they could never be part of my DNA like the Sox have for 71 years.

At least you have a winning team to root for, to offset the misery of watching your favorite team constantly lose. 

14 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

At least you have a winning team to root for, to offset the misery of watching your favorite team constantly lose. 

Yeah but they’re playing pretty lousy right now losing 15 out of the last 20 with the Orioles taking over the lead in the AL East but they have been a fun team to watch and cheer for since the 2008 season.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Yeah but they’re playing pretty lousy right now losing 15 out of the last 20 with the Orioles taking over the lead in the AL East but they have been a fun team to watch and cheer for since the 2008 season.

I only dream of the day after Reinsdorf is gone when we can maybe have a team like the Rays. A Sox team that is actually run with such a smart owner and front office. You're right though, they really are a fun team to watch. They play smart baseball which is something the Sox have no clue on.

Btw, as you know, just as fast as they can lose 15 of 20, they can also go on a hot streak. 

I am personally pulling for the Rays. My parents after retirement for several years here, decided to go to the Tampa area and at first were snow birds and then eventually moved there full time. My dad early on latched on to the Rays when they moved there. Going to their home over the years, I got an early glimpse of the magic Andrew Friedman along with Joe Maddon. They had great teams every year with one of the smallest payrolls.

I will never forget the day the Cubs hired Maddon. I was driving listening to sports radio in my car. After it was announced, the Cubs fans were clueless of who he was. The Cubs fans were calling in and blasting Theo on what a dumb hire it was. The entire time I saying to myself...you stupid Cubs fans don't deserve a manager as good as Maddon. Instead we had Robing Ventura when he was hired.

• Like 1