Betts calls out White Sox for not defending Tim Anderson after KO punch, D Backs have team meeting about protocols for similar situations

caulfield12

3 minutes ago, tray said:

The perception of TA is what I was referring to. The denial that racist views are part of the reactions to this TA impress me about as much as Josh Donaldson calling TA "Jackie" and then denying he is a racist. Down goes Anderson, down goes Anderson... then getting dragged off by Vaughn. That was just too perfect of a scenario for some people, but go ahead and enjoy. Yea, he deserved it and that trumps team loyalty and even results in TA getting twice the penalty that instigator received, even though he brushed back an umpire.

As far as minority vs minority, some here may recall how a lot of people hated Ali (thus the "down goes Anderson") and wanted him to get beaten, even when he fought other African Americans. There was just something about him they didn't like, and sure, OK, it had nothing to do with race. Give me a break. 

Sorry but TA was the instigator, he threw down his glove and put his fists up in a fighting pose just because someone pointed at him.

I am not denying that racism happens in sport as in real life, but the reaction here has more to do with him getting knocked down after trying to act like the tough guy. 

'Team loyalty' should not be blind, if one of my players is being an idiot I will call that no matter what his ethnicity.

As for your point about Ali (before my time) undoubtedly some of that was racism but also some of it was because of the arrogant bragging persona that he adopted before fights.

I resent the implication that anyone who doesn't support TA in this is automatically a racist.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Sorry but TA was the instigator, he threw down his glove and put his fists up in a fighting pose just because someone pointed at him.

I am not denying that racism happens in sport as in real life, but the reaction here has more to do with him getting knocked down after trying to act like the tough guy. 

'Team loyalty' should not be blind, if one of my players is being an idiot I will call that no matter what his ethnicity.

As for your point about Ali (before my time) undoubtedly some of that was racism but also some of it was because of the arrogant bragging persona that he adopted before fights.

I resent the implication that anyone who doesn't support TA in this is automatically a racist.

1. Jose Ramirez instigated the fight by shoving Tim's leg and then getting up and aggressively wagged his finger within inches of Tim's face. Do that in a bar or on the streets without MLB security to protect you and you're liable to an asswhupping at minimum, possibly several bullets in your body now since we are in 2023.

2. Jose Ramirez made contact with the ump, instigated the fight, and should have gotten an equal suspension term.

3, Tray didn't say anyone who didn't support TA is racist. He said there is an element of racism to some of the comments.

There can be no doubt that some of it is due to the fact that he is an African American player.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Chimpton said:

Of course not everyone is a racist but you cannot deny how remnants of it remain in baseball decades after Jackie Robinson,  even among players like Josh Donaldson and announcers like Hamilton.

As far as who instigated the fight that is arguable. Do you defend Ramirez for his post game comments that TA has been disrespecting baseball for a long time ? That was basically an admission that he was  holding a grudge against Anderson. And do you think that Hamilton announcing "Down goes Anderson, down goes Anderson" was appropriate? This stuff is part of baseball...it is unfortunate but it still exists. TA should have been the bigger man , walked away, but it would have been nice if Ramirez got taken down by Vaughn  and others before the fight ensued.

Edited by tray
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I like what Elvis Andrus and Michael Kopech said about this. They stand by TA. Ramirez later stated that TA is "disrespectful of the game" (???)  and somehow deserved his sucker punch. He wanted the fight even before he got tagged out by TA.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tray said:

I like what Elvis Andrus and Michael Kopech said about this. They stand by TA. Ramirez later stated that TA is "disrespectful of the game" (???)  and somehow deserved his sucker punch. He wanted the fight even before he got tagged out by TA.

Ramirez showed up the following day, premeditated with his agent, wearing boxing gloves.

Then he claims he sent word of an apology and hasn't heard back. He is an assclown. Full stop.

36ba1-16913159288391-1920.jpg

3 hours ago, tray said:

Of course not everyone is a racist but you cannot deny how remnants of it remain in baseball decades after Jackie Robinson,  even among players like Josh Donaldson and announcers like Hamilton.

As far as who instigated the fight that is arguable. Do you defend Ramirez for his post game comments that TA has been disrespecting baseball for a long time ? That was basically an admission that he was  holding a grudge against Anderson. And do you think that Hamilton announcing "Down goes Anderson, down goes Anderson" was appropriate? This stuff is part of baseball...it is unfortunate but it still exists. TA should have been the bigger man , walked away, but it would have been nice if Ramirez got taken down by Vaughn  and others before the fight ensued.

I agree with you about racism still existing both in sport and society as a whole, but I genuinely can't see that as a big factor in this incident. But maybe that is because I am not African American and therefore have never been the victim of racism whether overt or covert. I respect your opinion, even if I cannot completely agree with it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Ramirez showed up the following day, premeditated with his agent, wearing boxing gloves.

Then he claims he sent word of an apology and hasn't heard back. He is an assclown. Full stop.

I think I heard that the picture is years old.

6 hours ago, tray said:

Sucker punch? Anderson threw the first punch. The first three, in fact.

I’ve only been back a couple of months, but it’s pretty obvious that you’re a troll haha.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That picture is at least 3 years old. In the actual photo, "INDIANS" is still on the scoreboard in LF

• Thanks 1

In a video of practice on Tuesday posted by son Deion Sanders Jr., the elder Sanders can be seen screaming at members of the team, after a fight broke out between safety Jaden Milliner-Jones and running back Anthony Hankerson.

"I seen two of you walking off, over there, and you’ve got a key teammate fighting," Sanders yelled. "Where they do that at? Where they do that at?"

He continued, "If one fights, we all fight. You understand that? I don’t want to see you all walking off when somebody’s fighting. Never again!"

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38206482/colorado-coach-deion-sanders-admonishes-players-walking-away-fight-practice

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/deion-sanders-calls-players-walking-170736383.html

Edited by caulfield12