Apparently the Sox won today

JoeC

1 hour ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I like White Sox wins and hate losing and tanking.

Tanking only gets so far in terms of the odds of the draft pick anyway. At some point you want to see the team win and members on future teams contribute in whatever role possible.

• Like 1

Just now, The Beast said:

Tanking only gets so far in terms of the odds of the draft pick anyway. At some point you want to see the team win and members on future teams contribute in whatever role possible.

To me "tanking" is productive if you are playing younger players regularly to determine whether they hold future value, and are not concerned whether this impacts wins and losses.

If you're playing guys like Elvis and Grandal (if Seby ever returns) regularly, than you're not doing it right. Same as in 2017-2109 when Hahn signed several veterans, some expensive, instead of taking chances on younger players and claims of other younger players who might have made a difference in the 2020s.

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

To me "tanking" is productive if you are playing younger players regularly to determine whether they hold future value, and are not concerned whether this impacts wins and losses.

If you're playing guys like Elvis and Grandal (if Seby ever returns) regularly, than you're not doing it right. Same as in 2017-2109 when Hahn signed several veterans, some expensive, instead of taking chances on younger players and claims of other younger players who might have made a difference in the 2020s.

To a point.

There is value in helping a vet rebuild value for a half a season and flipping him for a prospect, especially if you don't have viable long term solutions already 

21 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

That is fair, but consider the remaining games. Should Sosa and Perez start every game or most games?

10 minutes ago, JoeC said:

To a point.

There is value in helping a vet rebuild value for a half a season and flipping him for a prospect, especially if you don't have viable long term solutions already 

Agreed, but the deadline is gone so FAs like Elvis and Grandal can no longer be flipped. Also don't have to go out and sign guys like Welington Castillo ($14.5M), Kelvin Herrera ($19M), John Jay ($4M) and Parrot ($12M) when you're not going anywhere and then claim "the money has been spent." and have perennial holes at C, 2B and RF.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Beast said:

That is fair, but consider the remaining games. Should Sosa and Perez start every game or most games?

If they are on the ML roster, yes. If not, let them develop in Charlotte. They should play most games. I'm somewhat OK with a 32 year old Trayce Thompson because I don't believe they have another player in the system who can cover defensively CF for Robert, and you don't want the pitchers killed by a lack of OF defense. Also, Sheets should never play another inning in RF/LF the rest of the season or career with the Sox if he returns in 2024 beyond an emergency injury situation.

• Thanks 1