Jump to content

MLB Trade Rumors - Chicago White Sox Offseason Outlook - by Tim Dierkes


South Side Hit Men
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Well, the Sox have a new set of decision makers, so that changed since the TDL. 

If the price was too high in July, it may very well be too high still. The Royals can ask whatever they want.  If they still value him as vintage Salvy, good for them - they can enjoy paying him $44M the next two years to be a replacement level player.

I just don't see the Sox actually acquiring him unless Royals eat AT LEAST half the deal, and the prospect package is nothing overly interesting. Would be an odd first move for Getz to acquire an over the hill player getting paid like he's still a star. 

And yet, the rumors haven't stopped, rather they seem far more certain to happen with the new GM. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

So given that the Royals actually have a fan base who likes Perez way more than Benintendi...you've just justified well why the Royals wouldn't do this unless you pay for him.

Frankly I don’t give much credence to any of these bullshit rumors over the years, especially posted by the fake fast food Twitter accounts, or the Hillary Dick Pic Guy at The Score.

Nightingale was the only one credible internal sources that have panned out.

All I stated were the conditions I would trade for Perez. Dump our Royals s%*# for their Royals s%*#. Would primarily do so because Perez’ higher salary the next two seasons isn’t blocking any legitimate contention, but shedding Benintendi’s 2026-2027 may if the Sox have enough pieces to contend by then.

Im pretty sure Royals fans are as enamored with Perez at this stage as Sox fans are with Moncada or Tim today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Wouldn't it be better to sign Texas free agent catcher Mitch Garver?

I’d like them to consider Victor Caratini or Tom Murphy, perhaps they can sign Reese McGwire if Boston is moving on.

Think it’s very important to bring in a catcher instructor to help the guy they acquired in the Lucas / Lopez trade, and other current and future acquisitions.

Not important to get an offensive minded and/or an expensive catcher, just someone who can call a game and work with pitchers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fathom said:

The Sox absolutely are interested in Salvy. This has been obvious for a year now.  The price will be way higher than most think.

I wanted to like this post until I got to that second sentence…lol.  Unfortunately with how desperate Grifol is for a clubhouse enforcer, I feel like the price will be a bit higher than expected (especially if money is coming back).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I don't care who the sources are. I 1000000% believe this lol

Edit: I don't think I would necessarily hate a Merrifield signing, but hell no to a Perez trade.

We called this MONTHS ago. 

In fact, I thought the Sox were going to acquire Whit before this last season, even before Getz was in the picture at GM. 

I have no idea why anyone thinks a thing will change with Getz in charge. Gonna be the same old bullshit 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really hope this will be a monkey paw thing for Pedro where he gets salvy but considering how much emphasis Pedro puts in salvys leadership he completely bulldozes him and undercuts him constantly, acting as de facto manager

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Frankly I don’t give much credence to any of these bullshit rumors over the years, especially posted by the fake fast food Twitter accounts, or the Hillary Dick Pic Guy at The Score.

Nightingale was the only one credible internal sources that have panned out.

All I stated were the conditions I would trade for Perez. Dump our Royals s%*# for their Royals s%*#. Would primarily do so because Perez’ higher salary the next two seasons isn’t blocking any legitimate contention, but shedding Benintendi’s 2026-2027 may if the Sox have enough pieces to contend by then.

Im pretty sure Royals fans are as enamored with Perez at this stage as Sox fans are with Moncada or Tim today.

Ummm...but they have a reverence for him due to 2014-15.  He's right up there with Mike Sweeney and Gordon/Hosmer in the pantheon of popularity.  That bond with the fans will always be there.

A notch below Willie McGee in St. Louis.

Edited by caulfield12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I keep trying to figure out how to go about this off-season as just a fun exercise. Maybe I’ll think more about it and have something by Friday/early next week haha

edit: none of my ideas involve trading for Perez lol but signing Garver has now made its way interesting my mind

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

I keep trying to figure out how to go about this off-season as just a fun exercise. Maybe I’ll think more about it and have something by Friday/early next week haha

edit: none of my ideas involve trading for Perez lol but signing Garver has now made its way interesting my mind

I was at the airport for a few hours on Monday and thought about mocking something up, but damn is trying to build a team that is remotely competitive next year daunting.  Hell, not even fun to run a “blow it up” scenario because there isn’t much to trade.  Getz will have his work cut out for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Go all Giants and sign a handful of mid/back end rotation guys to 1-2 year deals like they did a couple years ago.

I envision us signing Luis Severino & Frankie Montas and praying for healthy rebound seasons.  The problem is even if those guys deliver, an offense where the big additions are two mid 30’s guys with ~90 wRC+ will suck a massive you know what.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I was at the airport for a few hours on Monday and thought about mocking something up, but damn is trying to build a team that is remotely competitive next year daunting.  Hell, not even fun to run a “blow it up” scenario because there isn’t much to trade.  Getz will have his work cut out for him.

Yeah, you’re basically declining TA option (or picking it up and hoping he’s the same guy he was 2 years ago) and hoping you get lucky on like 7-8 other signings and everything clicks, like 2005.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I envision us signing Luis Severino & Frankie Montas and praying for healthy rebound seasons.  The problem is even if those guys deliver, an offense where the big additions are two mid 30’s guys with ~90 wRC+ will suck a massive you know what.

Yeah I envision at least one of those guys (hell, maybe both), maybe overpay a guy a little like Flaherty?

Realistically, if they sign 3 SP they’ll be Severino, Montas, Lorenzen for like 1 year, anywhere between $10-15M each.

Edit: toss Maeda, Boyd (need a lefty!), Martin Perez on the list.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Really hope this will be a monkey paw thing for Pedro where he gets salvy but considering how much emphasis Pedro puts in salvys leadership he completely bulldozes him and undercuts him constantly, acting as de facto manager

Regardless of anything else, I still can't get over the fact that this would take the 2023 White Sox and make their OBP worse.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah I envision at least one of those guys (hell, maybe both), maybe overpay a guy a little like Flaherty?

Realistically, if they sign 3 SP they’ll be Severino, Montas, Lorenzen for like 1 year, anywhere between $10-15M each.

Edit: toss Maeda, Boyd (need a lefty!), Martin Perez on the list.

This is literally the right thing to do to the letter. They desperately need pitchers to fill innings...and if any of them are remotely successful, they will be tradable for greater value at the trade deadline. Not all of them will be successful, but the end result is that this restocks the team somewhat more quickly than waiting for the draft. If it takes $15 million for each guy, you kinda have to pay it, you need the warm bodies. Same thing with relievers, grab a couple and take advantage of the fact that you have playing time, trade any that do as well as Middleton last year.

For position players, it is harder to be sure that guys will be tradable at the deadline because you don't know for sure people will be shopping for that position...take the guys you need to fill a lineup, clearly we need infield help especially if Anderson is cut loose, find someone to give Robert some actual time off next year, add a cheap veteran catcher, and maybe clear out a bad contract or two where possible. 

Don't waste money and time bringing in guys for 2024 unless you're confident you can trade them. Look forward to 2025, and see where you're at - if you get a good pitcher or two out of trading Cease, if you get a developed Montgomery, and a couple of prospects show promise, maybe at least you've found a path out of the hole even if you're not all the way there yet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is literally the right thing to do to the letter. They desperately need pitchers to fill innings...and if any of them are remotely successful, they will be tradable for greater value at the trade deadline. Not all of them will be successful, but the end result is that this restocks the team somewhat more quickly than waiting for the draft. If it takes $15 million for each guy, you kinda have to pay it, you need the warm bodies. Same thing with relievers, grab a couple and take advantage of the fact that you have playing time, trade any that do as well as Middleton last year.

For position players, it is harder to be sure that guys will be tradable at the deadline because you don't know for sure people will be shopping for that position...take the guys you need to fill a lineup, clearly we need infield help especially if Anderson is cut loose, find someone to give Robert some actual time off next year, add a cheap veteran catcher, and maybe clear out a bad contract or two where possible. 

Don't waste money and time bringing in guys for 2024 unless you're confident you can trade them. Look forward to 2025, and see where you're at - if you get a good pitcher or two out of trading Cease, if you get a developed Montgomery, and a couple of prospects show promise, maybe at least you've found a path out of the hole even if you're not all the way there yet. 

Yeah I don’t disagree. It’s just not going to be a good team ha hopefully you can trade at least 1 or 2 at the deadline.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...