Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If it was zero, it’s absolutely meaningless because it’s like 30 at bats.

Until proven otherwise, he’s Madrigal 2.0 to me :) let’s not forget, little Nicky was once ranked the #40 prospect in baseball per mlb pipeline

1 hour ago, ron883 said:

@poppysox found his new favorite player!

Nope...I do like players that can hit to all fields and are good with a glove.  Those hitters need to hit around .300 and have an OBP around .340 or so.  This guy hit .212 in a short trial.  If it's ok with you I will do my own evaluations on the players I like.

• Fire 1

26 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

let’s not forget, little Nicky was once ranked the #40 prospect in baseball per mlb pipeline

The Sox were roundly lauded for picking him 4th. He's been one of the more productive 1st rounders from that 1st round. Nico Hoerner has put up the highest bWAR (11.6). 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Until proven otherwise, he’s Madrigal 2.0 to me :) let’s not forget, little Nicky was once ranked the #40 prospect in baseball per mlb pipeline

I’m sure Ortiz is eagerly awaiting your approval. 😁

That said, if you want to continue to ignore production and scouting reports, that’s fine. He’s a high quality prospect and rated highly for a reason.

I agree he’s not an ideal target for you guys but that doesn’t mean he’s not a talented player. Whether or not he reaches his ceiling, we will see but I would bet money that he ends up with a higher career WAR than at least 30% of the current top 100. 

His defense will keep him in the league for a long time.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That said, if you want to continue to ignore production and scouting reports, that’s fine. He’s a high quality prospect and rated highly for a reason.

I agree he’s not an ideal target for you guys but that doesn’t mean he’s not a talented player. Whether or not he reaches his ceiling, we will see but I would bet money that he ends up with a higher career WAR than at least 30% of the current top 100. 

You can keep Nicky 2.0 thanks

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Assuming Getz does not acquire Ortiz in a Cease trade, what are you going to do with him since he has no place to play for the Orioles?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Assuming Getz does not acquire Ortiz in a Cease trade, what are you going to do with him since he has no place to play for the Orioles?

Hope a more complete team needs a 2B and is willing to take him in trade after he falls off the top 100?

• Thanks 1

This particular Tweet doesn't really mean anything beyond a reference. 

But there seem to be a bunch of Yankee fans screaming about including Spencer Jones in a package for Dylan Cease. Has there been some reported rumor or strategic leak about this?

Edited by WestEddy

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

This particular Tweet doesn't really mean anything beyond a reference. 

But there seem to be a bunch of Yankee fans screaming about including Spencer Jones in a package for Dylan Cease. Has there been some reported rumor or strategic leak about this?

Jones/Dominguez plus 2 pitchers or Jones/Dominguez, one pitcher and one if their SS prospects.

Harold said NYY was being aggressive so perhaps Jones is part of this package and if so I'd be happy with that. True LH savage and won't accrue service time during lean years.

• Like 1

More rumor glop:

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2024/01/yankees-in-danger-of-losing-jordan-montgomery-other-top-rotation-upgrades-source-predicts.html

General manager Brian Cashman has turned his attention to the market’s best remaining starters. But the anxiety is growing as the pool of available talent keeps shrinking. It’s possible the Yankees could get shut out altogether, a person with knowledge of the Yankees’ thinking predicted.

The person told NJ Advance Media of a growing belief within the organization that left-hander Jordan Montgomery is headed back to the Rangers — and not returning to the Yankees.

Other problematic situations for the Yankees:
— Blake Snell, another free agent lefty, won’t be an option for the Yankees unless agent Scott Boras lowers his contract demands.
— The Yankees have no interest in left-hander Shota Imanaga, another Japanese star who has been posted, because he’s a flyball pitcher who wouldn’t be a fit for Yankee Stadium.
— As for two aces being shopped, White Sox right-hander Dylan Cease and Brewers righty Corbin Burnes, chances are neither will be moved before spring training because the asking prices are too steep.

The rumor mill has the Orioles favorites to land Cease for a package that doesn’t include the majors’ No. 1 prospect, shortstop Jackson Holliday.

“The Brewers aren’t trading Burnes, and I don’t think Chicago trades Cease,” the person predicted.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Kyle Gibson wasn’t even good enough for the Twins.

Nice try puffing him up to be something he’s not by the O’s fans, but everyone has known his pluses and minuses for the last five years, if not longer than that.

More biased bull crap…. Gibson pitched 193 innings, won 15 games, bailed the team out several times when the pen was gassed. And his FIP was 4.13. As opposed to his ERA of 4.73. Wait what …. The strong Orioles defense costed a pitcher more than half a run a game. But, he was awful …..you’re right. 

Even using FIP Cease (3.84) was only .29 runs better….. But, I’m puffing by quoting the stats okay 👍 …..gotcha

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Man I hate Yankees fans.  Fools being acting like Spencer Jones is a future Aaron Judge.  Can’t wait to taste their salty tears when they give up him or Dominguez plus much much more.

Can you blame them? They drafted him basically pointing to Judge

5 hours ago, ptatc said:

That's fine. However you are assuming that the negotiations are over by saying no GM is going to pay this price. This is an unknown. Someone may pay that price. The negotiations aren't over. 

What the Orioles aren't going to get is a good not great dependable starting pitcher for the next 2 years and at an affordable price. None of your other options will be the same. 

It's fine not to pay the price but to say no one will pay it is just not correct. I might be but it could also be that 2 teams are in a bidding war and it will be a high price. 

We can debate it … IMO, no one will give anything close to what Getz asked from the Reds. We can debate it after he’s dealt. 

More stuff found around the web - Fansided Cardinals guy throws names against the wall

https://redbirdrants.com/posts/mlb-insider-white-sox-weighing-dylan-cease-trades-cardinals-possibly-in-the-mix-01hkc239d57x

According to recent reports, the White Sox asked the Reds for four of their top ten prospects, one of which is a top-100 prospect in baseball (Rhett Lowder). While it's not as simple as just comparing prospect lists for this asking price, Cardinals' prospect Tink Hence is just one spot lower than Lowder on the MLB Top 100 list, so a package around him, Thomas Saggese, and two other prospects in the Cardinals top 10 seems like a very similar offer to what the White Sox wanted from Cincinnati.

As a reminder, the rumored ask from Cincinnati was Lowder (MLB #41), Petty (MLB Reds #6), Jorge (MLB Reds #9) and Stafura (MLB Reds #11). 

Saggese is MLB's #9 prospect in the Cards' system.

13 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

We can debate it … IMO, no one will give anything close to what Getz asked from the Reds. We can debate it after he’s dealt. 

Looking at the rumored ask of the Reds...it's really not that crazy. Maybe the 3rd & 4th pieces could be a bit ambitious, but Lowder and Petty feel about right. 

35 minutes ago, Rolle Tide said:

More biased bull crap…. Gibson pitched 193 innings, won 15 games, bailed the team out several times when the pen was gassed. And his FIP was 4.13. As opposed to his ERA of 4.73. Wait what …. The strong Orioles defense costed a pitcher more than half a run a game. But, he was awful …..you’re right. 

Even using FIP Cease (3.84) was only .29 runs better….. But, I’m puffing by quoting the stats okay 👍 …..gotcha

So why not simply resign him if he was so incredibly valuable?

Why didn't he get a playoff start?

A 7.8 fWAR the last four seasons prior to 2023 means he should have been worth approximately 2 fWAR and $14-18 million...and he outperformed that by 0.6.

Seems obvious they simply can't compete with even the mid market Cardinals?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic