Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I never considered the Rangers as a trade partner but it makes sense if they miss out on Montgomery. They have some very interesting buy low candidates in Leiter and Rocker. Owen White is interesting too. I’ve been reading they’re basically going to have to trade Foscue because he’s blocked. A package of Walcott/Foscue/Leiter/Rocker would be the ultimate high risk high reward.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I never considered the Rangers as a trade partner but it makes sense if they miss out on Montgomery. They have some very interesting buy low candidates in Leiter and Rocker. Owen White is interesting too. I’ve been reading they’re basically going to have to trade Foscue because he’s blocked. A package of Walcott/Foscue/Leiter/Rocker would be the ultimate high risk high reward.

I've always been surprised we've never seen the Rangers.  They have the prospects to do it AND the need for a guy like Cease.

7 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I've always been surprised we've never seen the Rangers.  They have the prospects to do it AND the need for a guy like Cease.

There was an MLBTR headline about Diamond Sports Group announcing a restructuring deal that doesn't mention the Rangers. So I'm guessing they probably would rather go with Monty, but are still in limbo. 

24 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I’m not sure their need is as high as it seems at first glance. They have a bunch of dudes set to come off the IL mid season, and the offense to carry in the meantime. 

56 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

People get that.

Do you get that people view those guys are better options, therefore they would happily trade more to get them? (I actually don’t agree with that thought but many do)

I see what you did there. You made a statement, but put it in the mouths of "many", so that you can both argue any inane point to make the other person wrong, and then claim you didn't say that. We're all adults, here, so you don't really need to explain how other people think to us. 

However, my belief is that if Houston were to offer their staff ace to a potential ALCS rival, that cost would hurt, to the point that "many" would not actually be "happy". They would scream about a Jackson Holliday + 3/4 ask, and Framber Valdez would immediately become a bum, an "older" 2-year rental who choked in the 2021 & 2023 playoffs, and "many" would wonder if he was just a "good" pitcher in the season who turns into a pumpkin come playoff time. 

So, no, I don't "get" that, but it seems like you're saying you don't either. 

• Like 3
  • Paper Bag 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would 100% do that trade.  If it’s Wagner as the 4th piece, it comes down to what your scouts think of the three main prospects and whether the upside of waiting is more than downside of underperformance or injury.  I just don’t see the Orioles giving up Westburg plus three other guys cracking top 10 lists of the best system in baseball.

Ok Cool all done. Send it to Getzy, not to be confused with the fired Bear Offensive Coordinator.Now tell me what our Top 15 prospects look like ? Do all 4 make it . I'm thinking yes.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I see what you did there. You made a statement, but put it in the mouths of "many", so that you can both argue any inane point to make the other person wrong, and then claim you didn't say that. We're all adults, here, so you don't really need to explain how other people think to us. 

However, my belief is that if Houston were to offer their staff ace to a potential ALCS rival, that cost would hurt, to the point that "many" would not actually be "happy". They would scream about a Jackson Holliday + 3/4 ask, and Framber Valdez would immediately become a bum, an "older" 2-year rental who choked in the 2021 & 2023 playoffs, and "many" would wonder if he was just a "good" pitcher in the season who turns into a pumpkin come playoff time. 

So, no, I don't "get" that, but it seems like you're saying you don't either. 

No, I’m not doing anything that your mind is going to.  

Im merely saying that many(I can’t speak for all fans and not all fans feel this way, thus why I am using the word many) fans would spend more for those guys because they either perceive them to be better and/or have more service time (ie like Luzardo).

I actually don’t want Framber at all. He has too much noise in some of his stats that he doesn’t excite me. And I wouldn’t pay the price for Luzardo unless they are taking ML pieces back…I don’t trust his durability. 

And they wouldn’t have to deal Holliday to get Valdez but Mayo is possible for sure. 

Edited by Sports Guy

42 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No, I’m not doing anything that your mind is going to.  

Im merely saying that many(I can’t speak for all fans and not all fans feel this way, thus why I am using the word many) fans would spend more for those guys because they either perceive them to be better and/or have more service time (ie like Luzardo).

I actually don’t want Framber at all. He has too much noise in some of his stats that he doesn’t excite me. And I wouldn’t pay the price for Luzardo unless they are taking ML pieces back…I don’t trust his durability. 

And they wouldn’t have to deal Holliday to get Valdez but Mayo is possible for sure. 

Basallo has to be in play or the Astros will hang up.

Mayo is too one dimensional, just like Kjerstad.  The bat has to play, period.

41 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Basallo has to be in play or the Astros will hang up.

Mayo is too one dimensional, just like Kjerstad.  The bat has to play, period.

There is no argument that Mayo is one dimensional and Basallo isn’t.

Edited by Sports Guy

22 minutes ago, fathom said:

No shock, but he also said Burnes isn’t on the market and the ask for Cease is high

Get’s current asking price has to be higher than most here are thinking.  I’m still optimistic conversations get more serious in the coming weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

?

There's a massive gap/argument between their prospect perceptions, though.

Mayo would be logical to replace Bergman...maybe.  But Astros are not going to subtract from the current team for their version of The Last Dance.  Not until they capitulate at the deadline, at least.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They make the most sense for you guys And it’s far more likely that Cashman overpays than Elias does.

I’m really worried for you guys.  If Elias keeps hugging and doesn’t add a quality SP, I think there is real risk of the O’s being the odd man out of the AL playoff race if they experience any sort of bad luck (injury, regression, etc).  Hopefully he comes to his senses and adds a high end starter, but it doesn’t seem like he is a very reasonable person.  Admittedly he’s very good at identifying & developing young talent, but he seems to lack the killer instinct that GMs who are serious about winning championships typically have.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m really worried for you guys.  If Elias keeps hugging and doesn’t add a quality SP, I think there is real risk of the O’s being the odd man out of the AL playoff race if they experience any sort of bad luck (injury, regression, etc).  Hopefully he comes to his senses and adds a high end starter, but it doesn’t seem like he is a very reasonable person.  Admittedly he’s very good at identifying & developing young talent, but he seems to lack the killer instinct that GMs who are serious about winning championships typically have.

It's exactly like Preller.

Great at identifying talent.

Terrible with finishing trades and strategizing team chemistry.

Of course a much bigger financial playpen under Seidler.  He basically threw a hissy fit when he missed out on Judge and other top targets so decided to throw money at Bogaerts just to make a splash when they already had 4-5 on the roster capable of playing SS.

That left the bench and bullpen and back of rotation well short.

The jury is still out on whether Yalie Elias will blink when the pressure is on at some point...not to be perceived as taking a backwards step with the rebuild.

Kimbrel just seems like an awful awful awful move.

Baltimore has the same momentum the Blue Jays and White Sox and Padres all had in 2019-2021.

No guarantees they can keep it with a penny pinching approach.

Especially in that hyper-competitive division.

Edited by caulfield12

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic