Rule 5 Draft - Sox take LHP Shane Drohan from Boston

bmags

one of the better things BA does.

Not an inspiring list for position players yet, but they always add more.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlb-rule-5-draft-preview-2023/

select snippets

Ryan Fernandez, RHP, Red Sox 

Few available Rule 5 pitchers can match Fernandez’s stuff. The righthander pairs a four-seam fastball at 94-96 mph touching 97 mph at peak with a cutter at 89-91 mph, a gyro slider in the upper-80s and a power curveball. Fernandez became more reliant on his cutter and fastball combination as 2023 progressed and the cutter became his primary pitch. Despite an inflated ERA, he struck out 25.2% of batters faced over 26 appearances in Triple-A. Fernandez has a checkered medical history that might scare some teams, but his outlier combination of velocity and feel for spin could be successful in a major league pen next season.

Tyler Owens, RHP, Braves

A 13th round pick out of Trinity Catholic (Fla.) back in 2019, Owens is eligible for the Rule 5 draft for the first time. The undersized righty has worked in a variety of roles, but primarily as a reliever, collecting a trio of saves late in the season for Double-A Mississippi. Owens mixes an interesting trio of pitches in a mid-90s cut four-seam fastball, a mid-80s slider with sweep and a cutter in the low-90s. At 5-foot-10, Owens creates unique characteristics due to his height which allows his cut four-seam fastball to play up. He misses bats with his fastball and slider combination and has the power to handle middle relief innings. Based on performance, stuff and age, Owens is an interesting potential target. 

position player

Justin Dirden, OF, Astros

Dirden was one of the breakout performers of 2022, going from a nondrafted free agent in 2020 to one of the 10 best prospects in the Astros system in 2022. But he struggled to a .231/.314/.396 line over 84 games in extended Triple-A action in 2023. Injuries may have played a factor. He hit .276/.345/.489 with 24 extra-base hits over his 58 games until a hamstring injury sent him to the injured list on June 23. Dirden returned on July 16, but hit just .126/.243/.179 over 26 games before returning to the IL on Aug. 30. While we don’t know how much the hamstring injury hampered Dirden, he clearly was not the same player upon returning. Dirden is an above-average athlete with the ability to play all three outfield positions. Prior to his injury Dirden was a .288/.380/.536 hitter with 48 home runs over 265 games. 

• Like 1

When is the deadline to drop players from your roster before the draft to enable participation?

Per Scott Merkin’s article listing all prior selections, below is a list of prior selections who actually played for the Chicago White Sox.

Hawk Harrelson’s selection of Bobby Bonilla represents the lone Rule 5 selection with a positive bWAR with the Sox. This was short lived, as Hawk returned him to Pittsburgh after the All Star Break for Jose DeLeon. Bobby earned 30.3 bWAR during his MLB career, and will continue to be paid by the Mets for another 12 years.

Rule 5 Selections who played for the Chicago White Sox

bWAR Player Sox Seasons

1. 0.5 Bobby Bonilla 1986
  2. 0.0 Bill Moran 1974
  3. -0.1 Angel Sanchez 2013
  4. -0.3 Adrian Nieto 2014
  5. -0.6 Jason Grilli 2004
  6. -0.6 Bruce Kimm 1980
  7. -2.9 Dylan Covey 2017 - 2019

Perhaps the Sox can claim 1-2 potential MLB Starting Pitchers or Swingmen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-strength-of-the-2023-rule-5-draft-is-starting-pitching/ar-AA1keMsh

• Boston Angel Bastardo
  • Boston Chih-Jung Liu
  • Saint Louis Ian Bedell
  • Seattle Taylor Dollard
  • Tampa Bay Cole Wilcox

11 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/the-strength-of-the-2023-rule-5-draft-is-starting-pitching/ar-AA1keMsh

• Boston Angel Bastardo
  • Boston Chih-Jung Liu
  • Saint Louis Ian Bedell
  • Seattle Taylor Dollard
  • Tampa Bay Cole Wilcox

Without researching the rest of the mentioned candidates listed, Cole Wilcox would be an attractive addition. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I totally want to take Kristian Robinson in the draft.  Former top 30 prospect (with helium) then had visa or some other issue for like 2-3 years.  Came back last year and was pretty good after 3 years off.  Get him.

Just looked into him. Interesting option to at least stash on the bench since he hits right-handed (since they should have a left-handed hitter in left and right).

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Shite, you can add Navarro, Padilla, Foster to the list of guys no one would care about if they were cut.

Oh, there are about 30 I wouldn't care that much, but would start with these three, see what happens in Arizona and to start the year in terms of who could be useful. Foster pitched well a few years ago, the other two are longer shots in the Declan bucket.

Remillard is useful in the fact he can cover infield / outfield, but you can always sign him or a guy like him later. Love Sheets gone just so he's not an option, regardless what they do with Eloy.

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Oh, there are about 30 I wouldn't care that much, but would start with these three, see what happens in Arizona and to start the year in terms of who could be useful. Foster pitched well a few years ago, the other two are longer shots in the Declan bucket.

Remillard is useful in the fact he can cover infield / outfield, but you can always sign him or a guy like him later. Love Sheets gone just so he's not an option, regardless what they do with Eloy.

They have a younger guy in Romy that already serves the same purpose of "26th man utility player."

Foster, I figured, at the time, would have been non-tendered and signed to a minor league deal though.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

They have a younger guy in Romy that already serves the same purpose of "26th man utility player."

Foster, I figured, at the time, would have been non-tendered and signed to a minor league deal though.

I would cut Romy over Remillard. Remillard  was more competent defensively, cosplayed as a baseball player more effectively, and is extremely available. I honestly don't recall remillard ever being gone for a long period of time.

I was a big Romy booster, I wanted to see his power get a shot. But he's been unhealthy for years and doesn't have a defensive plus like Engel had to make it worthwhile. Does Remilliard need to be on the 40 though? no I don't really care I'm sure we can get him as an MILB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

I would cut Romy over Remillard. Remillard  was more competent defensively, cosplayed as a baseball player more effectively, and is extremely available. I honestly don't recall remillard ever being gone for a long period of time.

I was a big Romy booster, I wanted to see his power get a shot. But he's been unhealthy for years and doesn't have a defensive plus like Engel had to make it worthwhile. Does Remilliard need to be on the 40 though? no I don't really care I'm sure we can get him as an MILB.

Either way, don’t need both.

On 11/26/2023 at 1:37 AM, South Side Hit Men said:

• Boston Angel Bastardo
  • Boston Chih-Jung Liu
  • Saint Louis Ian Bedell
  • Seattle Taylor Dollard
  • Tampa Bay Cole Wilcox

Our bullpen should probably suck anyways so we should be able to hide 1 or 2 guys there for the season. Plenty of room in the rotation too if someone picked up in rule 5 has a great spring.

8 hours ago, bmags said:

Romy is a plus defensive 2b. Much better over there than Remillard.  That said, I would be fine releasing either of them or both.

• Quin changed the title to Rule 5 Draft - Sox take LHP Shane Drohan from Boston