Yankees acquire Juan Soto in trade with Padres

bmags

13 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I like the logic and analysis exercise, but I read this, raised my eyebrows, and took a long sip of coffee. I wish I had an actual newspaper to shake instead of a laptop 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-plan-to-move-aaron-judge-to-center-field-after-juan-soto-trade-can-work-at-least-in-2024/amp/

Last thing they need to do is put him in CF after his toe injury last year.

His bat is too important and expensive to be sitting on the bench except as DH...sure maybe Ohtani at DH and Yamamoto as well.

9 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

If I were the Orioles I would stay the course. You aren’t going to beat the Yankees giving up your prospects and going move for move with them. So stay the course and if you are in position at deadline to make a deep run than see what you can do. 

Otherwise the risk you give up a bunch for cease and are back to being the Orioles and 10 games back puts you in a bad spot. Kind of like how Rick Hahn ran this org from the second they had one decent season to like pretend like they were going to spend like big fish and instead he spent annual money and on stupid stuff. 

Several of the Orioles top prospects are relatively old and they may be wise to cash in on them 

Joey Ortiz is blocked and turns 26 this summer

Kjerstad turns 25 in February

McDermott turns 26 in August

The Orioles are a starting pitcher injury or two away from having a disaster on their hands as minor league pitching depth is pretty thin

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Taking Mullins, Hayes, or Santander as part of a Cease trade is a terrible idea.

Well that may mean a trade with the O's int going to happen.

They finally have a good team again. A very good team with great talent still coming.

They need to replace their OF within 2 years. They have the pieces to do that . Why trade the OF prospects to us ?

You want infield prospects ? What about depth, Injuries or someone you counted on being inconsistent.

Those are the things the doomed the Sox so quickly and they didn't have the depth in the farm to sustain anything and you just expect the O 's to trade their cheap young insurance policies away ?

They may trade their whole starting OF away before they give up the haul you're expecting from them.

You want a good prospect or 2 from the O's  then you might have to do things their way and capitulate a bit on your asks.

• Like 1

BAL could make a case obviously to retain Jackson Holliday for ss, Cowser for CF, Kjerstad for RF, and Norby for LF. Could even keep Mayo for 1b.

But SS Ortiz stands out as a strong piece for a Cease trade. He has nowhere to really go besides utility for BAL, and is better suited to be traded to improve their Starters. Ortiz is a strong defender too, so that would help Getz with defense first, and could move Colson to 3b in AAA this year, and maybe Ramos to 2b. 

Grab SS Ortiz, and OF like Beavers or Horvath in their system and possibly another top 30 player and it’s got alot of value for us. 

Edited by SouthSideGeorgia

1 minute ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

BAL could make a case obviously to retain Jackson Holliday for ss, Cowser for CF, Kjerstad for RF, and Norby for LF. Could even keep Mayo for 1b.

But SS Ortiz stands out as a strong piece for a Cease trade. He has nowhere to really go besides utility for BAL, and is better suited to be traded to improve their Starters. Ortiz is a strong defender too, so that would help Getz with defense first, and could move Colson to 3b in AAA this year. 

Grab SS Ortiz, and OF like Beavers or Horvath in their system and possibly another top 30 player and it’s got alot of value for us. 

Yikes. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well that may mean a trade with the O's int going to happen.

They finally have a good team again. A very good team with great talent still coming.

They need to replace their OF within 2 years. They have the pieces to do that . Why trade the OF prospects to us ?

You want infield prospects ? What about depth, Injuries or someone you counted on being inconsistent.

Those are the things the doomed the Sox so quickly and they didn't have the depth in the farm to sustain anything and you just expect the O 's to trade their cheap young insurance policies away ?

They may trade their whole starting OF away before they give up the haul you're expecting from them.

You want a good prospect or 2 from the O's  then you might have to do things their way and capitulate a bit on your asks.

Ok, then move on to a different team.  If a sizable piece of a Cease offer from BAL is a veteran OF with two years of control, then that offer isn’t serious and you move onto another club.  There is no logic whatsoever for us to take a guy like Santander as integral part of a Cease trade.  

Meanwhile, the Orioles can continue to win AAA championships while a portion of their prospect base ages out and begin to lose value.  And this has nothing to do with Cease, but prospect hugging to this degree is absolutely wild when they have a very questionable rotation, several stars in place, solid players at most other everyday spots, and waves upon waves of positional prospects.  I don’t think your read is their actual strategy and I fully expect them to add a high end starter via trade, whether that be Cease or someone like Burnes.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

But SS Ortiz stands out as a strong piece for a Cease trade. He has nowhere to really go besides utility for BAL, and is better suited to be traded to improve their Starters. Ortiz is a strong defender too, so that would help Getz with defense first, and could move Colson to 3b in AAA this year, and maybe Ramos to 2b. 

Ortiz is not good enough to be the centerpiece for Cease.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Ok, then move on to a different team.  If a sizable piece of a Cease offer from BAL is a veteran OF with two years of control, then that offer isn’t serious and you move onto another club.  There is no logic whatsoever for us to take a guy like Santander as integral part of a Cease trade.  

Meanwhile, the Orioles can continue to win AAA championships while a portion of their prospect base ages out and begin to lose value.  And this has nothing to do with Cease, but prospect hugging to this degree is absolutely wild when they have a very questionable rotation, several stars in place, solid players at most other everyday spots, and waves upon waves of positional prospects.  I don’t think your read is their actual strategy and I fully expect them to add a high end starter via trade, whether that be Cease or someone like Burnes.

Yeah, this is the main reason the Orioles basically need to unload prospects that aren't named Jackson Holliday.

They have young guys succeeding at the major league level blocking AAA prospects. They need major league pitching.

They run the risk of those AAA prospects losing value as they get older / could begin to show flaws. The Yankees are flexing, the Red Sox also have a stacked system, the Rays are the Rays, and the Blue Jays have fat wads of cash.

If the Orioles aren't gonna spend, they can't prospect hug unless they're convinced Hall and Cowser are gonna be aces.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

No one has been better about trading their hyped prospects and keeping their valuable ones than Cashman. That said, the yankees are just going to be again an extremely weird team. 

Cashman v. Preller is a pretty good matchup in prospect-wits.  Preller isn't afraid to trade his prospects, but he's really good at finding them (which may be the reason he's willing to trade them).

1 hour ago, SouthSideGeorgia said:

Ortiz  is not good enough to headline that deal

I like Beavers, but look at the package the Reds received for Luis Castillo in 2022 as a template. Cease has an additional half season of control more than Castillo had at the time. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GreenSox said:

Cashman v. Preller is a pretty good matchup in prospect-wits.  Preller isn't afraid to trade his prospects, but he's really good at finding them (which may be the reason he's willing to trade them).

https://www.mlb.com/news/analyzing-juan-soto-trade-for-padres

Already attempting to spin the positives...

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Caulfield12 has single handedly made me hate the Padres. I hope this is a terrible trade for both teams.

I'm glad an internet stranger can have so much influence on you.

I'm perfectly happy to discuss the implications for the Yankees as well, as I have already done in this thread.

Did Harold also cause you to hate Jared Kelenic in equal fashion, lol?   At least when I pick a player like Puig or Tatis, they generally make more of an impact upon the sport, for both good or bad.

Although Jared did kick a Gatorade cooler out of anger and knock himself out of action for two months in a key season for the Mariners...hence, his trade to ATL where he will have no choice but to toe the line.

• Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

I'm glad an internet stranger can have so much influence on you.

I'm perfectly happy to discuss the implications for the Yankees as well, as I have already done in this thread.

Did Harold also cause you to hate Jared Kelenic in equal fashion, lol?   At least when I pick a player like Puig or Tatis, they generally make more of an impact upon the sport, for both good or bad.

Although Jared did kick a Gatorade cooler out of anger and knock himself out of action for two months in a key season for the Mariners...hence, his trade to ATL where he will have no choice but to toe the line.

Harold's not obnoxious.

• Haha 1

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/39054696/mlb-juan-soto-yankees-padres-grade-trade-blockbuster

B to Yankees, A- to Padres, comprehensive grades for both teams after the trade

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/grade-padres-juan-soto-trades-153914460.html

C-, although it's including the 2023 results and the fact they were forced to trade him in the first place, rather than just the talent going back and forth in the trade itself

Edited by caulfield12

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/39054696/mlb-juan-soto-yankees-padres-grade-trade-blockbuster

B to Yankees, A- to Padres, comprehensive grades for both teams after the trade

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/grade-padres-juan-soto-trades-153914460.html

C-, although it's including the 2023 results and the fact they were forced to trade him in the first place, rather than just the talent going back and forth in the trade itself

Anytime you can get 4 quality arms back, it can't be too bad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Anytime you can get 4 quality arms back, it can't be too bad. 

Memories of Giolito, Reynaldo and Dunning for Adam Eaton...perhaps the greatest trade of Hahn's tenure, along with Cease and Eloy for Quintana.

Kept in a very well-paying job for the better part of a decade...that and signing Luis Robert, Jr.

• Like 1