Yankees acquire Juan Soto in trade with Padres

bmags

• Quin changed the title to Yankees acquire Juan Soto in trade for Trent Grisham
  • Balta1701 changed the title to Yankees acquire Juan Soto in trade with Padres
1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Honestly, the Yankees getting Yamamoto push the Orioles to get serious in Cease talks.

If I were the Orioles I would stay the course. You aren’t going to beat the Yankees giving up your prospects and going move for move with them. So stay the course and if you are in position at deadline to make a deep run than see what you can do. 

Otherwise the risk you give up a bunch for cease and are back to being the Orioles and 10 games back puts you in a bad spot. Kind of like how Rick Hahn ran this org from the second they had one decent season to like pretend like they were going to spend like big fish and instead he spent annual money and on stupid stuff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If I were the Orioles I would stay the course.

I'm not sure what course they're staying. Their starting pitching is wanting. Rick Hahn didn't trade off all the dozens of top prospects to try to compete. We planned on one guy for each of about 7 positions, then never filled the rest. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

If I were the Orioles I would stay the course. You aren’t going to beat the Yankees giving up your prospects and going move for move with them. So stay the course and if you are in position at deadline to make a deep run than see what you can do. 

Otherwise the risk you give up a bunch for cease and are back to being the Orioles and 10 games back puts you in a bad spot. Kind of like how Rick Hahn ran this org from the second they had one decent season to like pretend like they were going to spend like big fish and instead he spent annual money and on stupid stuff. 

No, but I don’t think they can just assume they can coast their way to a division title either without a big SP addition.  That rotation is very top heavy and they are one big injury from being in trouble.  I think they’d be crazy not to push some chips in and add an impact starter.  They have an insane amount of prospect depth and honestly some it is starting to age.  Nothing wrong with being cautious, but prospect hugging can also be counterproductive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

They have so many position players who are blocked in AAA. How does staying the course instead of trading some of them for pitching help them?

• Thanks 2

Michael King was “key” to the deal, according to Kevin Acee. He posted a 2.75 ERA last season, which included posting a 2.02 ERA and 2.41 FIP in his last seven games as starter. New York didn’t want to give him up because he was going to be in their rotation for the next two years but if they wanted Soto, that was the price of doing business.

Clarke Schmidt was viewed as the lesser of the two between him and King so good for Preller for standing his ground when it came to him and Thorpe. Trading Soto hurts the Padres so Brian Cashman was going to have to feel it too for a deal to get done.

Drew Thorpe was the guy the Padres wanted more than Chase Hampton and New York was reluctant to give him up. He posted a 2.52 ERA in his first minor league season with a great WHIP under 1. Hampton, on the other hand, posted a 3.63 ERA with over 30 fewer innings than Thorpe (1.14 WHIP).

Brito and Vasquez (NYY #13 prospect), who both debuted last season, figure to slot into the bullpen but they have the ability to start games if needed (or should I say when they’re needed to). Brito went 5+ innings seven times in 2023 with Vasquez starting five of his 11 appearances in pinstripes last season.

When you have a Hall of Fame talent in Soto on your club like Preller had, he needed to maximize the return. The Padres haven’t been able to develop great pitching in the Preller era but now here’s another huge opportunity to do that with Thorpe, Robby Snelling, Dylan Lesko, Jairo Iriarte and Adam Mazur all in the system.

Higashioka is one of the more solid backup catchers you’re going to find in Major League Baseball. He’s not going to hit for average or power but really how many backups do? In the both of the last two seasons, he’s been able to catch over 80 games including for stretches like May of 2023 injuries occurred.

gaslampball.com

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

White Sox should be all over Trent Grisham for RF or CF.

Definitely over Merrifield.

No idea what Yankees will do with him, but 90% a salary dump for SD because of his underachievement in 2022/23 (exception being 2022 postseason).

Gold Glove defender, lots of pop but terribly inconsistent offense with a ton of K's.

Yankees hold onto Jeter Jr. in Volpe and Jasson Dominguez (Cease trade???)

Padres' 2024 rotation Musgrove/King/Darvish/????????)/two from Yankees' trade    (Matt Waldron, Pedro Avila, Jay Groome, Adrian Morejon)

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

I'm not sure what course they're staying. Their starting pitching is wanting. Rick Hahn didn't trade off all the dozens of top prospects to try to compete. We planned on one guy for each of about 7 positions, then never filled the rest. 

He traded for aging Lance Lynn (who was great his first year) and than the Kimbrel move for a closer. I don’t recall many other trades but I’m sure im forgetting and than all the money that went to relievers or aging guys. 

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

They have so many position players who are blocked in AAA. How does staying the course instead of trading some of them for pitching help them?

Because they can trade their whole starting OF from last year if they wanted to since their contracts have 2 years left ( Mullins and Hays) and 1 year left  (Santander). Trade them for pitching and replace them with Jackson Holliday, Cowser and Kjerstad. Or trade them for even more prospects and trade  prospects for pitching. Staying the course just means do like TB does. Works for TB, not in World Series wins, buy staying competitive in a very very competitive division. Maybe someone wants to rent Santander for the year.

Tampa Bay stays the course and takes their chance every year that they can get hot in the playoffs and win a World Series eventually.

I'm sure they would trade for Cease if the Sox took Mullins, Hays or Santander  to lessen the prospect hit the Orioles don't want to take. That would give the Sox more tradable assets. Accumulate tradable assets and prospects. Trade the tradable assets for prospects .

When you don't have the money to spend that's what you have to do.

25 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Because they can trade their whole starting OF from last year if they wanted to since their contracts have 2 years left ( Mullins and Hays) and 1 year left  (Santander). Trade them for pitching and replace them with Jackson Holliday, Cowser and Kjerstad. Or trade them for even more prospects and trade  prospects for pitching. Staying the course just means do like TB does. Works for TB, not in World Series wins, buy staying competitive in a very very competitive division. Maybe someone wants to rent Santander for the year.

Tampa Bay stays the course and takes their chance every year that they can get hot in the playoffs and win a World Series eventually.

I'm sure they would trade for Cease if the Sox took Mullins, Hays or Santander  to lessen the prospect hit the Orioles don't want to take. That would give the Sox more tradable assets. Accumulate tradable assets and prospects. Trade the tradable assets for prospects .

I’m talking about their infielders. Where are guys like Norby and Ortiz going to play a year from now? They are completely blocked. I think they might even end up with excess outfielders, but their infield situation is ridiculously crowded at the moment.

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Taking Mullins, Hayes, or Santander as part of a Cease trade is a terrible idea.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Taking Mullins, Hayes, or Santander as part of a Cease trade is a terrible idea.

How often have the White Sox successfully flipped someone in a way that ended up with a 3+ fWAR player or pitcher in their long-term stable or core group of players?

(Q doesn't count because they had him in-house for so long.

What I mean is acquired from elsewhere  and then successfully traded within under a one year timeframe???

“It’s very difficult to make a deal where you’re trading a player the caliber of Juan Soto,” Preller said. “But if we did that, we wanted to make sure we shored up a bunch of needs. We were able to get some depth with quality. ... The ability to add to four arms to the pitching staff — pitchers that we think have both (a high) ceiling and also will be able to pitch for us this year and compete for time this year in our rotation — and adding a catcher that goes with (Luis) Campusano and goes with (Brett) Sullivan and shores up a position for us, at the end of the day, the combination of those two things really added up for us.”

The Padres’ imperative of acquiring starting pitching makes King the immediate centerpiece of their haul.

The 28-year-old right-hander had a 2.75 ERA over 104⅔ innings last season. He filled a hybrid role for the Yankees but will certainly be slotted into the Padres’ rotation, which before Wednesday consisted of just Yu Darvish and Joe Musgrove.

…..

King projects as the most expensive of the new Padres, at an estimated $2.5 million or so in his second season of arbitration eligibility. Higashioka is set to make approximately $2.3 million. Brito and Vásquez will earn less than $1 million apiece, as they are not yet arbitration eligible.

The Padres, who are in violation of MLB rules regarding debt service ratio and aimed to get their 2024 payroll below $200 million, have current commitments of less than $150 million for next season — with more cuts possible and more additions certain.

“The exercise always is you have a budget, you’re trying to make the team work within the budget,” Preller said. “(The trade) definitely gives us two things — some flexibility and then also just some clarity on what the rest of the offseason looks like.”

The Padres will still seek to add at least one starter and one reliever to work late innings, as well as two outfielders

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2023-12-06/padres-juan-soto-yankees-trade-michael-king

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/juan-soto-trade-scouting-reports-on-every-yankees-padres-player-involved/

Padres going to end up somewhere between the 5th and 8th rated farm system after all this maneuvering…Jasson Dominguez would have been the icing on cake but not for just one year of control at a $33-34 million pricetag.

Didn’t need Volpe with five shortstops on the roster…Bogaerts, Kim, Machado, Tatis, Cronenworth.

Edited by caulfield12

11 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

What’s this, Judge in CF? Alllrighty then…

Trent Grisham if he stays…no way Judge isn’t on a corner.

The guy is a GGer…that’s his single biggest individual strength.

Grisham is a lhb just Verdugo so depends on who is hottest between him and Verdugo…if anything too left-handed lol.

Verdugo could be in CF with Soto in LF and Judge in RF…or Verdugo for Soto with Juan DHing and Grisham in CF.    Or Soto LF Grisham CF Verdugo RF with Judge DH.

Edited by caulfield12

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Trent Grisham if he stays…no way Judge isn’t on a corner.

The guy is a GGer…that’s his single biggest individual strength.

Grisham is a lhb just Verdugo so depends on who is hottest between him and Verdugo…if anything too left-handed lol.

Verdugo could be in CF with Soto in LF and Judge in RF…or Verdugo for Soto with Juan DHing and Grisham in CF.    Or Soto LF Grisham CF Verdugo RF with Judge DH.

I like the logic and analysis exercise, but I read this, raised my eyebrows, and took a long sip of coffee. I wish I had an actual newspaper to shake instead of a laptop 

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-plan-to-move-aaron-judge-to-center-field-after-juan-soto-trade-can-work-at-least-in-2024/amp/

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

No, but I don’t think they can just assume they can coast their way to a division title either without a big SP addition.  That rotation is very top heavy and they are one big injury from being in trouble.  I think they’d be crazy not to push some chips in and add an impact starter.  They have an insane amount of prospect depth and honestly some it is starting to age.  Nothing wrong with being cautious, but prospect hugging can also be counterproductive.

That's a very tactful and graceful way of saying Mike Elias is a dickless coward. 

Which is 100% true. Pretty soon, he will need to sack up tho unless he wants to get passed by multiple teams in his division.