Nick Padilla outrighted, Adam Haseley becomes a FA

Sleepy Harold

24 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, how big league ready is his defense and pitcher handling? It's worth asking, he'd be better than spending a couple million on Hedges. 

Well, I feel like since Korey Lee has an option and completely sucked when he was called up, having a defensive first guy to pair with the inevitable Sal Perez trade is fine with me. I just wouldn't want to see that guy (shades of when they took Nieto) and Lee.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

No Lee should be in the minors. I don't care what he hits ... I'm getting the veteran equivalent of Hedges Nola Maldonado and giving him 60% of the reps with the most important pitchers until Perez/Lee and eventually Quero prove themselves.

We did do this ages ago with that Cuban catcher from the Nats but he didn't work out nearly as well as Narvaez...since I can't even remember his name anymore.

Adrian Nieto was the catcher you're thinking about.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Just wait until next off-season when Juan Soto is a free agent!

A lot of teams are going to ask for an exclusive negotiating window to ink a long-term extension if they're going to trade for him for just the 2024 season.

Not unlike the Sweaty Freddy Garcia situation in 2004-05...Friends and Family.

"Only" $128 million left on Giancarlo Stanton's deal (including $10 million buyout for 2028), the White Sox could get $64 million from NY and invest half of it into scouting/coaching/talent evaluation/analytics.

That would allow NYY to roster Cole, Soto (with a new extension), Judge and either Yamamoto or an outside shot at Ohtani.

Edited by caulfield12

pitching seems like the way to go in the rule 5 draft this year. there are some solid dudes that are worth a look, certainly more interesting than Padilla. maybe Banks and Lambert have some trade value and could be moved before the 6th to clear another slot. I'd stick with Touki. 

I bet if they were targeting bats, Remillard would be off the 40 man roster.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nrockway said:

pitching seems like the way to go in the rule 5 draft this year. there are some solid dudes that are worth a look, certainly more interesting than Padilla. maybe Banks and Lambert have some trade value and could be moved before the 6th to clear another slot. I'd stick with Touki. 

I bet if they were targeting bats, Remillard would be off the 40 man roster.

You deal Banks, you're down to Crochet and Eder/Peralta/Shuster from the LH side.   Most likely Shuster, with Eder starting in the minors at AA or AAA.

Lambert would certainly be fine as a throw in....but he's also going to be one of the few more experienced vets, so no reason to trade him unless someone actually offers a player that you value more than him for the future (no, that bar isn't very high at all.)

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

You deal Banks, you're down to Crochet and Eder/Peralta/Shuster from the LH side.   Most likely Shuster, with Eder starting in the minors at AA or AAA.

Lambert would certainly be fine as a throw in....but he's also going to be one of the few more experienced vets, so no reason to trade him unless someone actually offers a player that you value more than him for the future (no, that bar isn't very high at all.)

Good point but I guess I'm of the opinion that, since there's no expectation to win next season, I'd rather deal known (but good) commodities who might help in the short term but probably don't have a role once the team is competing again; and so take a chance on boom/bust types. Maybe we find another Gregory Santos. Next season should be about discovery IMO. In the same vein, I wouldn't mind seeing Shewmake getting play over Lopez, maybe he can prove something. 

I did become a big fan of Banks' "hard hat and lunch pail" ethos over the second half and cheer on pretty much any lefty pitcher, so I'd also be happy to keep him. easy to root for

4 hours ago, nrockway said:

Good point but I guess I'm of the opinion that, since there's no expectation to win next season, I'd rather deal known (but good) commodities who might help in the short term but probably don't have a role once the team is competing again; and so take a chance on boom/bust types. Maybe we find another Gregory Santos. Next season should be about discovery IMO. In the same vein, I wouldn't mind seeing Shewmake getting play over Lopez, maybe he can prove something. 

I did become a big fan of Banks' "hard hat and lunch pail" ethos over the second half and cheer on pretty much any lefty pitcher, so I'd also be happy to keep him. easy to root for

Might as well bring back Shaw too.

Most valuable pitcher the second half.

He wasn't even making $1 million, right?

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Might as well bring back Shaw too.

Most valuable pitcher the second half.

He wasn't even making $1 million, right?

Oh, the pitcher I was describing was Bryan Shaw (sans left-handedness). Senior moment. 

Edited by nrockway

14 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

A lot of teams are going to ask for an exclusive negotiating window to ink a long-term extension if they're going to trade for him for just the 2024 season.

Not unlike the Sweaty Freddy Garcia situation in 2004-05...Friends and Family.

"Only" $128 million left on Giancarlo Stanton's deal (including $10 million buyout for 2028), the White Sox could get $64 million from NY and invest half of it into scouting/coaching/talent evaluation/analytics.

That would allow NYY to roster Cole, Soto (with a new extension), Judge and either Yamamoto or an outside shot at Ohtani.

Soto isn't signing an extension anywhere. You're basically trading for one year of Soto plus the draft compensation you'll get when he leaves as a free agent. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Soto isn't signing an extension anywhere. You're basically trading for one year of Soto plus the draft compensation you'll get when he leaves as a free agent. 

We can't say that definitively because that means he will have played with four teams already the first 1/3rd of his career.

Is he a National for the HoF because of the WS win there?

Players do care about their long-term legacy.

If he's 100% set on a destination and gets traded there...you just can't rule anything out in life 100% even with the likes of Scott Boras.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We can't say that definitively because that means he will have played with four teams already the first 1/3rd of his career.

If he's 100% set on a destination and gets traded there...you just can't rule anything out in life 100% even with the likes of Scott Boras.

Juan Soto, assuming he makes the HOF, will likely wear the hat of whichever team he signs his 10+ year contract with. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Scott Boras disagrees. Soto has a 0% chance of signing an extension.