The Winter Meetings thread

Lip Man 1

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

Think it’s a solid move for both clubs. With the Padres owner dying and no confirmed new ownership group, it’s the responsible thing to do, and frees a new ownership group of being burdened by “luxury” taxes and penalties.

Soto is projected by FanGraphs for a 6.4 fWAR in his final team controlled season (projected arbitration award $33M). 

Michael King is controllable through 2025, with a projected 2.0 fWAR. Drew Thorpe is a AA player.

There are only a couple teams looking to spend significant money this off-season, so I give Preller credit for pulling off the return.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I was kinda hoping the Yankees would trade for Moncada since they're one of the few teams who can afford his salary.  Then they can use LeMahieu as a super utility guy instead of their primary 3B, or put him at 2B and we somehow get Gleyber Torres in the deal.  I realize there was almost no chance it would happen, but adding Soto's salary probably crushes whatever little chance there was.  

• Thanks 1

All the "opposing GM's are waiting to take advantage of Chris Getz" talk aside. I really don't have a problem with his approach. Even if he signs Whit Merrifield and trades garbage for Salvy, it sounds like he's doing a normal job. 

The thing I wonder, however, if all this leaking is other GMs "taking advantage" of his lack of reputation. Rick Hahn somehow pulled off his work without a lot of leaking from any side. Maybe his tight-lip conduct inspired the same respect from other GMs, where Chris Getz has no rep, and nobody cares what he thinks, yet. 

9 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

All the "opposing GM's are waiting to take advantage of Chris Getz" talk aside. I really don't have a problem with his approach. Even if he signs Whit Merrifield and trades garbage for Salvy, it sounds like he's doing a normal job. 

The thing I wonder, however, if all this leaking is other GMs "taking advantage" of his lack of reputation. Rick Hahn somehow pulled off his work without a lot of leaking from any side. Maybe his tight-lip conduct inspired the same respect from other GMs, where Chris Getz has no rep, and nobody cares what he thinks, yet. 

There were plenty of times Rick Hahn negotiated through the media. Easily the most memorable was the Machado pursuit, that was "Leak after leak after leak after leak I need to take a leak before writing after leak after leak". 

They could keep things quiet when they wanted, and they took things public when they thought there was some benefit. Note how Ohtani wants things quiet right now, while it seems like Getz wants everyone broadcasting how they're open for business. This isn't accidental.

12 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Rick Hahn somehow pulled off his work without a lot of leaking from any side. Maybe his tight-lip conduct inspired the same respect from other GMs, where Chris Getz has no rep, and nobody cares what he thinks, yet. 

In most cases, the Sox would have been a lot better off if Hahn hadn't pulled off his work.
If they're trying to take advantage of Getz, he's not letting them.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There were plenty of times Rick Hahn negotiated through the media.

Of course. More often than not, though, I think he was stealthy, with the odd message being sent through Nightengale. If this is a different style, I love it. I hated the lack of info. 

6 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

There were plenty of times Rick Hahn negotiated through the media. Easily the most memorable was the Machado pursuit, that was "Leak after leak after leak after leak I need to take a leak before writing after leak after leak". 

They could keep things quiet when they wanted, and they took things public when they thought there was some benefit. Note how Ohtani wants things quiet right now, while it seems like Getz wants everyone broadcasting how they're open for business. This isn't accidental.

I wish Hahn would have negotiated through the media when he was contemplating trading Tatis for a broken down, expensive pitcher,

9 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Think it’s a solid move for both clubs. With the Padres owner dying and no confirmed new ownership group, it’s the responsible thing to do, and frees a new ownership group of being burdened by “luxury” taxes and penalties.

Soto is projected by FanGraphs for a 6.4 fWAR in his final team controlled season (projected arbitration award $33M). 

Michael King is controllable through 2025, with a projected 2.0 fWAR. Drew Thorpe is a AA player.

There are only a couple teams looking to spend significant money this off-season, so I give Preller credit for pulling off the return.

I would've thought he could net Peraza and Dominguez as well. maybe one of them is the "additional player". 

27 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I wish Hahn would have negotiated through the media when he was contemplating trading Tatis for a broken down, expensive pitcher,

I actually think they did a little bit, the press made it clear that both the White Sox and tigers were interested and that was true. Hahn used that information to know he had to make a decent offer.

He just had a problem with the whole scouting the players first thing. And the understanding your team thing.