MLB 2024 Draft Lottery - Sox pick #5

South Side Hit Men

So, I'm not very familiar with the draft rules.  The biggest concern with the Sox getting the 5th pick is that because they will be picking in the top 6 in 2024, they cannot pick inside the top 10 in 2025, even though they will most likely have one of the worst records.  Correct?

Let's hope they can make the most of the 5th pick and get someone good.

• Like 1

• Quin changed the title to MLB 2024 Draft Lottery - Sox pick #5
15 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

I thought this draft wasnt that great, so honestly id rather have a 5 pick that doesn't result in a huge miss than have a top 2 pick that busts. And it would be so white sox to win 85 games next year and end up getting a 13th pick next year regardless of tonights results 

I'd rather have a didn't miss than a bust at any spot in the draft.

I'm thinking an improvement to the draft that would still discourage multi year tanking is your draft positions year to year can't be lower than a total of 10. So a 1 and 9 works or a 5 and 5. Maybe even pick a higher number like 12. No lottery, just drop the #1 down until they hit the total. 

I'm certain there are some flaws. I haven't really thought it through. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hogan873 said:

So, I'm not very familiar with the draft rules.  The biggest concern with the Sox getting the 5th pick is that because they will be picking in the top 6 in 2024, they cannot pick inside the top 10 in 2025, even though they will most likely have one of the worst records.  Correct?

Let's hope they can make the most of the 5th pick and get someone good.

Correct. Picking 5th this year really bones them. For example, Washington actually landed the top pick in the lottery but was ineligible b/c they picked top 6 last draft, so they pick 10th. The Sox look to be worse in 2024 but can pick no higher than 10th because they landed top 6. It really is the worst case scenario for a team desperate for young talent.