Will any team give Trevor Bauer a last shot?

caulfield12

18 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Might as well do it, can probably get him for cheap, and as he pitches, the stink will wash off and he'll be a very flippable asset.

Any publicity is basically better than none for the Sox. 

We weren't totally irrelevant last year, simply because we did so many things that elicited national media attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Yankees can have him. Putting aside the sexual assault allegations (and that's a BIG aside), this team is trying to address the culture issues before we can contend.

Why would we bring in a veteran with a history of being a "clubhouse distraction" in the best of terms, and a "me-first" immature dickhead in layman's terms.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That would take them out of the Cease market.. which would mean the Orioles wouldn’t have to budge on their offer

White Sox would be better off taking him out of equation, protecting Cease as a trade target by guaranteeing roster/rotation spot to Bauer.

Half joking. 

But attendance is train wreck city regardless.  Can't make it any worse than the current roster already has/does.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

Anyone know how he pitched last year?  I couldn't find.

Bauer started off slow, got sent to the minors, then performed pretty well the rest of the season. 

For context, his teammate was Imanaga Shota and they both performed similarly but Imanaga is 2 years younger. Imanaga had a tick higher ERA but lower WHIP and I would assume FIP but I can't find that calculation and don't know what constant they would use for NPB. Imanaga had an absurd 7.5 K to BB ratio while Bauer had a still good 4.6. Imanaga is projected, I think, to give up a lot of homers and his HR rate wasn't great last season, 1.0 HR/9 in a league that doesn't hit a ton of homers and he gave up 3 more than Bauer in 3 more innings pitched (18 vs 15).

Bauer was an above average starter in NPB, but I expected more out of him. He didn't dominate by any stretch of the imagination. 

So even if Bauer wasn't a clubhouse distraction and an abuser, his market value is probably lower than the $13.25mil AAV Imanaga is being paid and is, likely at best, a 4th starter, probably worse than Clevinger at this point and no team is looking to sign Clevinger it would appear. So I bet he could pitch effectively in the MLB, but not at a very high level, so I don't see why any team would take on his baggage and still pending sexual assault case in Arizona.

I think if Bauer tried in any way to seek atonement or to grow up finally at age 32, I might expect a team to sign him. But he's still the same manchild he's always been and a sexual deviant and not nearly talented enough anymore to make up for it. I wouldn't trust the rumor about the Yankees signing him, I think it's a distraction to force the Sox's hand on a Cease trade or lower Snell's value.

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

If you think this is exciting, just wait for his annual attendance thread!

Cancelled. SSHM can have at it.

Hopefully the Sox start getting state subsidies for insanely low numbers...that would be noteworthy in an election year.

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Cancelled. SSHM can have at it.

Hopefully the Sox start getting state subsidies for insanely low numbers...that would be noteworthy in an election year.

You can't cancel that thread. It's like cancelling a holiday tradition. His posts are always quite flashy though. I enjoy them.

Edited by ron883

SSHM is like an accountant/financial spreadsheet type.

I actually thought that I liked to think in lists until I started to read his posts...well, that's definitely ONE thing to do in retirement, but might not be for everyone.

He might even be related to Jay Cuda...except Jay seems like more of a comedian (except to his wife probably) and SSHM seems much more serious/intense.

At any rate, glad to be an occasional source of amusement.

Weird, I thought I had looked at BR for his stats.  Anyway for not pitching in 2 years, 156 innings is better than I expected.  Looked like over 5 ip per start.  Over aa k per inning and 4:1 k:w ratio.

3 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Weird, I thought I had looked at BR for his stats.  Anyway for not pitching in 2 years, 156 innings is better than I expected.  Looked like over 5 ip per start.  Over aa k per inning and 4:1 k:w ratio.

Fwiw, Yoshinobu was at 6.29 K/BB last year.

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2024 at 6:36 PM, PolishPrince34 said:

Saw a special on the girl who accused Bauer of assault. Chick totally lied and set him up. Ridiculous he was out of baseball that long when it could have been solved so quickly. 

It seemed like Bauer had evidence she was lying.  There was a picture of her that showed her with no bruising right after the date she claimed he beat her.  She ended up settling her lawsuit against Bauer but received no money in the settlement.  She did however receive $300K from her insurance company.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

On 1/5/2024 at 7:30 AM, MikeKreevich said:

I hope the White Sox sign him.

Those of you who really don't know him should watch his youtube channel.

Why? does he choke other women until they pass out, then beat them while they're unconscious, then admit to it on a monitored phone line? 

The guy is a scumbag. I hope rats eat his pitching arm. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

She settled her lawsuit against Bauer and received no money in the settlement.  She did however receive $300K from her insurance company.  Hmmm…

Here's the thing about Bauer. He runs his mouth constantly. It's why someone like Marcell Ozuna - or Urias the first time around - flies completely under the radar in comparison. Bauer? He decided to tweet out support of a Naval officer whose negligent driving killed two Japanese people, generating controversy in the one place that was letting him pitch. Next level stupid on his part.

Other things worth noting

• Multiple women have accused him. It's not a one-time thing with Mr. Big Brain.
  • Bauer peaked with sticky stuff in 2020. We know this because he basically dared the league to crack down on him.
  • If a guy who dominated in 2020 and part of 2021 was the third best pitcher on his NPL team, why is he suddenly going to be a pitching adonis over here? There's a reason all 30 teams are not willing to deal with the headache that comes with a guy currently peacocking about going up against minor leaguers.
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Here's the thing about Bauer. He runs his mouth constantly. It's why someone like Marcell Ozuna - or Urias the first time around - flies completely under the radar in comparison. Bauer? He decided to tweet out support of a Naval officer whose negligent driving killed two Japanese people, generating controversy in the one place that was letting him pitch. Next level stupid on his part.

• Multiple women have accused him. It's not a one-time thing with Mr. Big Brain.
  • Bauer peaked with sticky stuff in 2020. We know this because he basically dared the league to crack down on him.
  • If a guy who dominated in 2020 and part of 2021 was the third best pitcher on his NPL team, why is he suddenly going to be a pitching adonis over here? There's a reason all 30 teams are not willing to deal with the headache that comes with a guy currently peacocking about going up against minor leaguers.

I never said that Bauer isn’t a total goof or that the Sox should sign him.  I just think the woman Lauren Hill was going for a cash grab.  And getting accused by other women doesn’t automatically mean that he is guilty.

8 minutes ago, Quin said:

Yeah outside of that whole mess, I think teams and other players just really don't like him and using it as an excuse to not sign him.

• Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I never said that Bauer isn’t a total goof or that the Sox should sign him.  I just think the woman Lauren Hill was going for a cash grab.  And getting accused by other women doesn’t automatically mean that he is guilty.

You're right, it doesn't.

But eventually, teams are just gonna go "nah man we don't feel like dealing with this."

• Like 1