Baseball America: White Sox Top 30

Y2Jimmy0

I purchased my Baseball America handbook and they sent me the PDF of the book. The top 30 list for the Sox is pretty interesting. They have them ranked as the 18th overall system in baseball. 16 of the top 30 were drafted, 6 signed internationally and 8 trades 

1. Colson Montgomery SS 

2. Noah Schultz LHP

3. Nick Nastrini RHP 

4. Bryan Ramos 3B 

5. Edgar Quero C 

6. Jacob Gonzalez SS 

7. Jake Eder LHP 

8. Cristian Mena RHP 

9. Jonathan Cannon RHP 

10. Peyton Pallette RHP 

11. Ky Bush LHP 

12. George Wolkow OF 

13. Sean Burke RHP 

14. Jordan Leasure RHP 

15. Tanner McDougal RHP 

16. Wilfred Veras OF 

17. Grant Taylor RHP 

18. Seth Keener RHP 

19. Ryan Burrowes SS 

20. Jacob Burke OF 

21. Terrell Tatum OF 

22. Javier Mogollon SS 

23. Jose Rodriguez SS 

24. Mathias LaCombe RHP 

25. Shane Drohan LHP 

26. Braden Shewmake SS 

27. Matthew Thompson RHP 

28. Cristian Oppor LHP 

29. Juan Carela RHP 

30. Tyler Schweitzer LHP 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s nice not having 2nd round picks from the prior draft automatically awarded a top 10 ranking because there is actual talent ahead of them.

I’d have Taylor higher though, personally 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I’d have Taylor higher though, personally 

That’s a fair point.  Just of curiosity…where would you place him?  Surprised to see Burke & Leasure as high as they are.  Sounds like the latter has really good stuff but the fact he is a reliever only surely limits his value.  And I would have expected Burke to drop further after was mostly a lost season.  Taylor at #13 wouldn’t feel all that off to me.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

That’s a fair point.  Just of curiosity…where would you place him?  Surprised to see Burke & Leasure as high as they are.  Sounds like the latter has really good stuff but the fact he is a reliever only surely limits his value.  And I would have expected Burke to drop further after was mostly a lost season.  Taylor at #13 wouldn’t feel all that off to me.

Probably 11-14 or so. 

Pretty wild that Vera & Cespedes don’t even warrant consideration for the top 30.  And damn did Erick Gonzalez have a bad year.  The big ticket LatAm signings not paying off very well.  At least some of the lower level ones are.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

There is nothing more Rick Hahn than getting us all excited because he traded for someone he saw high on the scouting sites only to find out their value has started to crater. 

Our system reminds me of that terrible movie unbreakable with Bruce Willis. Basically our PD just explodes class after class of prospect and occassionally we find these super human players like schultz and montgomery who can still succeed in that chaos.

So I'm sure we'll turn Quero's stock back around. Just a matter of time for Jacob.

• Like 1

My predictions are that Wolkow will go up, and Gonzalez will go down.

Last year we had a young catcher at DSL who hit a ton.  What was his name, and is he scheduled to be at Arizona this year?

21 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

This is ridiculous 

What are you hearing about Gonzalez?  He looked terrible and all the metrics support that eye test. My hope is that we did not see the real Jacob Gonzalez. Maybe he was exhausted ala Montgomery at Project Birmingham? Or halfway through a significant swing change? Or he altered his approach, which he will then junk?  I want to have some hope for the guy because my looks last year were not encouraging.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Timmy U said:

What are you hearing about Gonzalez?  He looked terrible and all the metrics support that eye test. My hope is that we did not see the real Jacob Gonzalez. Maybe he was exhausted ala Montgomery at Project Birmingham? Or halfway through a significant swing change? Or he altered his approach, which he will then junk?  I want to have some hope for the guy because my looks last year were not encouraging.

I don’t care about anything in a college hitter’s draft season after turning pro. I don’t like his swing but he’s a shortstop that gets on base. Wouldn’t have been my pick but salvageable imo 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I generally don't care about minor league stats especially low minor league stats but I do care about extremes and Gonzalez was extremely bad for a guy who was considered a polished college hitter.  From what I was told he refused to try a swing change.  Hopefully after getting his s%*# pushed in by low A pitchers he comes to camp with a different attitude.  If he's athletic enough to turn himself into a viable big league hitter is highly in doubt but maybe there's a contact over power util guy in there.  

• Hawk 1

9 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I generally don't care about minor league stats especially low minor league stats but I do care about extremes and Gonzalez was extremely bad for a guy who was considered a polished college hitter.  From what I was told he refused to try a swing change.  Hopefully after getting his s%*# pushed in by low A pitchers he comes to camp with a different attitude.  If he's athletic enough to turn himself into a viable big league hitter is highly in doubt but maybe there's a contact over power util guy in there.  

I hope he pans out and I’m rooting for him but it was an awful pick. The Sox badly need some more upside in their system and he provides none. 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Not Wolkow?

I hope he does well, just dont have him on the list of Downtown Dominators this year. I usually pick one pitcher and one hitter. I think people are sleeping on Montgomery. He can play third base well. If we had ten Dominators every year, it would be less prestigious