Sox set ambitious goal for Yoan, Eloy: actually play baseball

bmags

15 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Pretty amazing how that works. If they shine, there is another contract year next season.

I wonder how good Yoan has to be to get that $25M team option picked up. It’s really a $20M net decision for the Sox with the $5M buyout. Does a healthy 4 WAR 2019 type season do it? I’m not even sure with Colson waiting in the wings and likely to shift to 3B in the bigs, and the Sox next best position player prospect in Ramos also being a 3B. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I wonder how good Yoan has to be to get that $25M team option picked up. It’s really a $20M net decision for the Sox with the $5M buyout. Does a healthy 4 WAR 2019 type season do it? I’m not even sure with Colson waiting in the wings and likely to shift to 3B in the bigs, and the Sox next best position player prospect in Ramos also being a 3B. 

JR is paying that $5 million dollar buyout as fast as he can.

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Anything short of an MVP caliber season and that option is not picked up. Even then I’d imagine his agent would want to take Yoan to FA to score a big long term deal. 

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Anything short of an MVP caliber season and that option is not picked up. Even then I’d imagine his agent would want to take Yoan to FA to score a big long term deal. 

If he plays really well, I could see the option picked up so he plays another year in a contract year.

Hopefully Ramos progresses well and he would take over at that point. Unless they think he is ready for next year then they wouldn't pick up the option.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

3-4 WAR would get it done, then the Sox would easily be able to trade him if that 2025 Sox team isn't anywhere near contention, and they probably won't be. 

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

If he plays really well, I could see the option picked up so he plays another year in a contract year.

Hopefully Ramos progresses well and he would take over at that point. Unless they think he is ready for next year then they wouldn't pick up the option.

I’m not buying it.  Even if Moncada has a good season he will still be a huge injury risk.  JR isn’t going to eat $25 million to see if Moncada can both stay healthy and be productive two seasons in a row.

31 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Similar to the Rodon situation.. If Moncada has an MVP caliber year (like Rodon had a Cy caliber year), then you have to pick up the option I think. Would be able to trade him in the offseason I'd imagine.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I’m not buying it.  Even if Moncada has a good season he will still be a huge injury risk.  JR isn’t going to eat $25 million to see if Moncada can both stay healthy and be productive two seasons in a row.

If Getz isn't really the same as the old boss that's the sort of dumb, stupid, short sighted pound foolish penny smart decision you do not make. Pickup the damn option and then find a trade partner, or you know, negotiate an extension. You can't let guys walk for nothing coming off 3-4 WAR years. Every player is an injury risk, Moncada would be entering his statistical prime years and if the Sox aren't interested, a contending team certainly would be.

• Thanks 1

If it gets to the option, it gets declined.  If Yoan has a good enough season to where his option could be picked up, I think the Sox trade him before the deadline so that they don't have to deal with it, and pick up whatever they can get for him.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If it gets to the option, it gets declined.  If Yoan has a good enough season to where his option could be picked up, I think the Sox trade him before the deadline so that they don't have to deal with it, and pick up whatever they can get for him.

Right, that's another option. Just letting him walk and paying 5 million for the privilege is the dumbest and worst case scenario. Get some value out of him if he's playing well.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Right, that's another option. Just letting him walk and paying 5 million for the privilege is the dumbest and worst case scenario. Get some value out of him if he's playing well.

If he is tradeable, they might even be willing to pay up some of that money to get him out and get a return.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Even in the unlikely event that he plays up to his current salary, I don't think there is any way the Sox pick up his option. There are cheaper options for a team nowhere close to being good, even if the kids aren't ready to step in right away.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If he is tradeable, they might even be willing to pay up some of that money to get him out and get a return.

Yeah add $5M to offer to cover buyout and take best offer.

Edit: or cover half and send $2.5M.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Problem is that $5M buyout.  Say Sox trade Yoan on July 31.  They would still owe him $13M.  I just don't see how anyone would acquire him even if he is on pace for a 4 WAR type season unless Sox eat at least half of it (which maybe they would). I don't think there is real any chance of a return outside of salary relief. 

21 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

3-4 WAR would get it done, then the Sox would easily be able to trade him if that 2025 Sox team isn't anywhere near contention, and they probably won't be. 

Not a chance the option gets picked up. 3 or 4  WAR wouldn't convince me of anything. He had 4 WAR in 2021 and it was mostly a WAR based on his fielding . He's a very inconsistent hitter and too often injured.

You saw what they did with payroll this year. Hard to imagine it would be so much better next year that they would pick up his option under any circumstances.

Maybe if he has 3 WAR at the trade deadline they deal him but don't see much chance of that either .

22 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

If he goes on the IL a portion of it is covered by insurance. Cost won't be a factor here.

2 hours ago, ptatc said:

If he goes on the IL a portion of it is covered by insurance. Cost won't be a factor here.

I don’t believe that cost won’t be a factor for Moncada’s 2025 club option.  Even in the rare occurrence that Moncada stays healthy and performs well this season, he could easily perform terribly in 2025 even if he stays healthy, as his up and down career has already proven.  JR isn’t taking on the risk of paying Moncada $25 million to stay healthy but suck in 2025.  Insurance won’t cover that scenario.  If Moncada doesn’t stay healthy and perform well enough to be traded at the deadline, that $5 million dollar buyout will be pounced on after this season

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1