3/13 Sox @ Brewers

8 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

This game may become known to history as the Shaw/Toussaint game. I still believe that 16-1 whoopings in the Sox's favor are the new normal until they prove different. 

Get ready for the Sox to prove different.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Put a nice dent in that all important spring training run differential stat yesterday everyone was harping on. All jokes aside nice to finally see a big night on offense.

No TV again today but the next 5 games will be televised including the prospect game Friday. 

• Like 2

Eloy tagged out trying to stretch a double into a triple after the LF bobbled the ball. He's out, but Moncada (bunt single) and Vaughn (single) score on the play.

Early 2-0 lead for the Sox.

Korey Lee catching instead of Robinson as Fedde takes the ball.

• Haha 1

Leadoff single against Fedde, but an easy CS for Lee one pitch later. I'm a big fan of his arm. 

Routine groundout and a K to end a quick 1-2-3 for Fedde.

Ortega adds to the lead with a HR (???)

Pillar nearly matches him, settles for a double off the wall + an error to get to third.

Lee crushes a HR (I like him so much), 5-0 Sox, still no outs in the 2nd.

Maybe we should just trade divisions with the Cubs?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Still wish they would have just paired Stassi up with Lee and split the playing time and saved the $4M on Maldonado who is old and terrible. Or just signed a better backup over Maldonado.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Autumn Dreamin said:

Leadoff single against Fedde, but an easy CS for Lee one pitch later. I'm a big fan of his arm. 

Routine groundout and a K to end a quick 1-2-3 for Fedde.

Ortega adds to the lead with a HR (???)

Pillar nearly matches him, settles for a double off the wall + an error to get to third.

Lee crushes a HR (I like him so much), 5-0 Sox, still no outs in the 2nd.

Maybe we should just trade divisions with the Cubs?

Ill never understand why everyone pegged him DOA after 65 at bats in a sunk limp to the finish line last season.

I don't know why we invested at all in Maldonado and Stassi when they should have just let Lee take it this season. I guess they gotta keep that "for the fans" mirage going.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, T R U said:

Ill never understand why everyone pegged him DOA after 65 at bats in a sunk limp to the finish line last season.

I don't know why we invested at all in Maldonado and Stassi when they should have just let Lee take it this season. I guess they gotta keep that "for the fans" mirage going.

48 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Still wish they would have just paired Stassi up with Lee and split the playing time and saved the $4M on Maldonado who is old and terrible. Or just signed a better backup over Maldonado.

It’s not like they released Lee. My guess is we’ll see plenty of him in 24. 

46 minutes ago, T R U said:

I presume they really wanted good vet catcher(s) around the young pitchers but also around the Sox young catching prospects. They also probably knew Stassi and Maldonado were on their last legs but had the attributes they wanted so they doubled down in that direction. Hopefully all of young Sox catching prospects are spending a lot of time with them around the defensive and mental aspects of the game and at same time - I hope our various pitchers benefit from the experience they bring.

Probably overselling all of the above - but given how bad the stench from the outside was (and presumably even worse internally) - I can live with it, but I do agree with you - why everyone wrote off Lee vs. hey give him another few hundred AB's and lets see didn't make sense. I would imagine Lee will still get plenty of AB's (it isn't like it is that hard to replace the  2 catchers they have).  

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

Fedde finishes with 4IP 3ER 7H 1K. All of the damage was done in one inning, on a run scoring FC and a two out HR.

A couple hits were seeing eye grounders, the homer was the only XBH.

He was helped out by a GIDP and a pair of CS.

Leasure in now. His inning is quick: groundout, walk, GIDP.

Edited by Autumn Dreamin
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's true, but it certainly felt like he was an afterthought.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

It’s not really about Lee, more that they just burned $4M on someone so terrible to play instead. Idc if Lee is in the minors but maybe find a better backup - or starter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I presume they really wanted good vet catcher(s) around the young pitchers but also around the Sox young catching prospects. They also probably knew Stassi and Maldonado were on their last legs but had the attributes they wanted so they doubled down in that direction. Hopefully all of young Sox catching prospects are spending a lot of time with them around the defensive and mental aspects of the game and at same time - I hope our various pitchers benefit from the experience they bring.

Probably overselling all of the above - but given how bad the stench from the outside was (and presumably even worse internally) - I can live with it, but I do agree with you - why everyone wrote off Lee vs. hey give him another few hundred AB's and lets see didn't make sense. I would imagine Lee will still get plenty of AB's (it isn't like it is that hard to replace the  2 catchers they have).  

The obvious problem with wanting to bring in Maldonado to be around the young catching prospects is...Lee, the young catching prospect still in the big league camp, was with the Astros last year, as was Maldonado. 

20 minutes ago, T R U said:

That's true, but it certainly felt like he was an afterthought.

They couldn't have gone into '24 with Lee as the 26-man back-up. He looked seriously exposed last year. Not Adrian Nieto exposed, but exposed, nonetheless. 

• Like 1

Long AB to the first batter. Started 0-2, then got to a full count + several fouls. Solid contact eventually, but it's a GO to Shewmake at third.

Next batter is quicker, GO to first on a 1-2 count. 2 outs.

0-2 start for the next batter, followed by two fouls, two balls, another foul, another ball, and then a full count HBP.

1-1 single puts two on with two outs. Mound visit.

0-2 start to Frelick, then four straight misses to load the bases.

First pitch ground out strands them all, but Touki really made himself work for it.

Mendick hits a HR to leadoff top 8 because that's a thing we do now I guess.

• Haha 1
  • Hawk 1

• Quin unpinned this topic