White Sox sign Robbie Grossman to minors deal w/ invite to ML camp

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Does it really matter ? I mean sure if the general board consensus is that Sheets should be gone at all costs .

If the object is to win games with the best, cheapest motley crew they can assemble while still attempting to not rush their motley crew of prospects it doesn't matter what they do. Everyone assumes Vaughn will keep getting chances to show he'll get better I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Sox think Sheets has made some kind of adjustment that may make him a better hitter against RHP than Vaughn. Maybe they send Sheets down and see if he smashes RHP in the minors better than he has in the past. They still need power from the left side.

I mean, does any of this matter? We’re rosterbating about a team projected to lose 100 games. 

Sheets has basically no role on this team. His only discernible major league still is being average at hitting RHP. Who is he even pinch hitting for besides maybe the catchers? I just see no reason to roster him; Grossman would be way more useful. 

Now, I am sure injuries will create an opportunity for Sheets to get a bigger role later on this season, but I’d send him to AAA if it were up to me. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Wow, crazy.  Grossman is old and I didn’t think he was ever a good defender but being worse than Sheets is impressive.  With Pillar back, Sheets should just backup 1B and I guess he will DH against righties, even though he can’t hit.

DH against righties? Where’s Eloy going? Fletcher? Sheets literally has no role other than being a backup 1B. 

thatll change once Eloy hits the IL, though. 

1 hour ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, does any of this matter? We’re rosterbating about a team projected to lose 100 games. 

Sheets has basically no role on this team. His only discernible major league still is being average at hitting RHP. Who is he even pinch hitting for besides maybe the catchers? I just see no reason to roster him; Grossman would be way more useful. 

Now, I am sure injuries will create an opportunity for Sheets to get a bigger role later on this season, but I’d send him to AAA if it were up to me. 

Well done.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2024 at 11:42 PM, Bob Sacamano said:

Straw checks all of Getz boxes of strong defender, no bat.

On 3/23/2024 at 12:42 AM, ChiSox59 said:

Sox would have to take on the 3/$19M he is owed. No one is claiming that. 

Some here hate Houston, even more than our division rival Guardians.

Guardians are just under the Twins in my in-division hatred. Still love the fact that not only did Cleveland take that bad contract in their 2021 trade with Houston, but also handed them two starters in Maton and Diaz. Makes taking collateral damage Maldonado for a meaningless season versus facing Diaz for six plus years in a Guardians uniform palatable.

July 30, 2021: Yainer Diaz traded by the Cleveland Indians with Phil Maton to the Houston Astros for Myles Straw.

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Some here hate Houston, even more than our division rival Guardians.

Guardians are just under the Twins in my in-division hatred. Still love the fact that not only did Cleveland take that bad contract in their 2021 trade with Houston, but also handed them two starters in Maton and Diaz. Makes taking collateral damage Maldonado for a meaningless season versus facing Diaz for six plus years in a Guardians uniform palatable.

July 30, 2021: Yainer Diaz traded by the Cleveland Indians with Phil Maton to the Houston Astros for Myles Straw.

Well, Maton's technically a reliever (he was pretty forgettable with the Padres) who has ended up having a much better big league career than most would have expected.   And dumping the Straw contract there was the icing on the cake.

Losing Diaz and Junior Caminero to the Rays has to hurt quite a bit, particularly for a small market team on a shoestring budget.