2024 White Sox Opening Day thread 3/28 3:10 first pitch vs Detroit

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Will they feel better when Grifol is fired and replaced with LaRussa?

Pritzker will sign a bill demanding the Sox move to Nashville by December 31st if that happens.

Still feel he is both running the show and fixin' to get back to crack the 3,000 win mark. Will take two to three more years (he'll need 116 more wins), and be 82 when he does it if they slot him in for Saturday's game.

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Pritzker will sign a bill demanding the Sox move to Nashville by December 31st if that happens.

Still feel he is both running the show and fixin' to get back to crack the 3,000 win mark. Will take two to three more years (he'll need 116 more wins), and be 82 when he does it if they slot him in for Saturday's game.

tenor.gif

Please write in for President if that will get him away from White Sox...not quite old enough though.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

White Sox had an xBA .169 today.

Burger Avi Anderson failed to get the big hit in extras too.

Altogether non clutch for anyone Sox related...not that there were numerous scoring opprtunities out there.

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, wegner said:

I'm confident this bullpen will eventually make them rare.

Kopech tried to make it a 3 or 4 run game but he just didn't have it in him. He made a pitch when it mattered but stuff wise he looked the same as ever. Zero fastball command and the slider usually finds too much plate.

• Fire 1

Just now, chitownsportsfan said:

Kopech tried to make it a 3 or 4 run game but he just didn't have it in him. He made a pitch when it mattered but stuff wise he looked the same as ever. Zero fastball command and the slider usually finds too much plate.

I'm sorry glad I missed it

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Getz personally developed our opening day starter. The ones who had to tell everyone numerous times that Crochet was a glorified opener seem strangely silent about that, now. 

Developed him how?  Doesn’t he have like 12 total minor league innings to his name, all of which came last year?

And Crochet looked amazing today which is great to see.  But him going deep in one start doesn’t change the concerns about his ability to handle a significant workload as a starter.  If he can go five innings every start over the course of a season that would theoretically be amazing, but it would be unprecedented and likely result in an injury at some point.  As such, it’s way too early to make any calls here.  I think we can agree we all want this to work, it’s just more of a matter if this approach will work.  Me being wrong here would be fantastic though.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

Getz personally developed our opening day starter. The ones who had to tell everyone numerous times that Crochet was a glorified opener seem strangely silent about that, now. 

Personally developed? Personally? What in the f*** are you talking about?

Crochet was great. But talk to me when he repeats this every 5 days all season long. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

55 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Skubal could easily win a Cy Young and will shut down numerous teams this year.

9th round draft pick; one full minor league season.  
White Sox usually punt that round (and about 4 other rounds)

1 hour ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Bottom four in the lineup went 0-12. 11 strike outs, zero walks for the team. Nothing has changed there.

The first of many losses and bad baseball all summer long.

My older son is into baseball now, so we watched a couple innings together. At 6, he was calling out why none of those hitters were putting the ball in play. It was interesting trying to explain what this season will probably look like, but I told him it may give us the opportunity to go to an extra game or two because they’ll be so cheap and without many people around.

Edited by tjp1684
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Missed the game, first opening day I've missed in who knows how long. I guess there comes a point in life where you can no longer play hooky to watch baseball. Was Crochet really that dominant? 8 Ks to 0 walks, 6 IP, 87 pitches is just incredible. 87 pitches is most shocking to me. Good for him. Dylan Who? Who Sale?  How'd the defense look?

On the other side, 3 hits and no walks is pretty fucking pathetic but I guess it was wrong to expect differently. If they can't touch Maeda or Flaherty, there's a serious problem (there wasn't already?).

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Jake Burger went 3-for-4 with three RBI on Thursday in the Marlins’ Opening Day loss to the Pirates.

Figures.

While our offense was anemic today.  Burger trade has turned out to be a big bust. A Hahn and KW goodbye “gift”.  IMO.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As such, it’s way too early to make any calls here.  I think we can agree we all want this to work, it’s just more of a matter if this approach will work.  Me being wrong here would be fantastic though.

Yes, one game is way too soon to make a call on a single pitcher, or the whole staff. Weird how that doesn't apply to the dudes launching hot takes at zero games. 

If it's okay with you, I'll feel good about how pitching looked today. You can wring your hands and kvetch about everything else. 

5 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Missed the game, first opening day I've missed in who knows how long. I guess there comes a point in life where you can no longer play hooky to watch baseball. Was Crochet really that dominant? 8 Ks to 0 walks, 6 IP, 87 pitches is just incredible. 87 pitches is most shocking to me. Good for him. Dylan Who? Who Sale?  How'd the defense look?

On the other side, 3 hits and no walks is pretty fucking pathetic but I guess it was wrong to expect differently. If they can't touch Maeda or Flaherty, there's a serious problem (there wasn't already?).

He was dominant. He had fastball command as well as the obvious velocity. Did not leave many pitches in the heart of the plate. Was unlucky really to even give up a run. Slider had a couple different looks it appeared, one almost looked like a changeup as far as movement, the other one was harder with more horizontal movement. Don't think he threw any true changeups, but he had the mix he needed anyways.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

23 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Jake Burger went 3-for-4 with three RBI on Thursday in the Marlins’ Opening Day loss to the Pirates.

Figures.

While our offense was anemic today.  Burger trade has turned out to be a big bust. A Hahn and KW goodbye “gift”.  IMO.

• Like 1