2024 Old Sock Drawer

Quin

36 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The backup SS in Miami is having a solid year and game.  Has raised his OPS to 760. TA's days are numbered. Burger is down to a 517 OPS. His days also numbered.

I just looked it up. His OPS is barely higher than Nicky Lopez or Andrew Benintendi's. (.018 and 0.11 respectively)  Lil Nicky actually has a better bWAR (-0.3 to -0.7)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I just looked it up. His OPS is barely higher than Nicky Lopez or Andrew Benintendi's. (.018 and 0.11 respectively)  Lil Nicky actually has a better bWAR (-0.3 to -0.7)

Obliques are the very worst possible injury for a hitter.

We excused Benintendi's wrist for going on how many seasons now?  

Not to mention Burger doesn't have nearly the number of plate appearances because he missed so much time already...numbers can change quite quickly, still.

Pretty challenging to come up with many starting rotations better than this current Sox-related one:

1) Cease

2) Sale

3) Lopez

4) Rodon

5) Your choice of Lynn, Dunning, or Montas

Chris Bassitt would traditionally have been up there but definitely not THIS season, at least so far.

20 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Obliques are the very worst possible injury for a hitter.

We excused Benintendi's wrist for going on how many seasons now?  

Not to mention Burger doesn't have nearly the number of plate appearances because he missed so much time already...numbers can change quite quickly, still.

It is really impressive to put up a WORSE counting number than Nicky Lopez in 40 LESS PAs.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is really impressive to put up a WORSE counting number than Nicky Lopez in 40 LESS PAs.

And yet they can't even come up with a legitimate1B, even if you give the Sox multiple first and second round attempts at it...well, I guess Vaughn has improved his flexibility almost enough to do the splits, so that has to be worth something or other.

In the end, the Marlins are going to be sold off for a new set of position players while they wait for their pitching staff to return to health.

Chisholm will get them something legit back.

Alcantara, Cabrera and Eury Perez are the keys to anything that franchise is going to do in the future.

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

And yet they can't even come up with a legitimate1B, even if you give the Sox multiple first and second round attempts at it...well, I guess Vaughn has improved his flexibility almost enough to do the splits, so that has to be worth something or other.

In the end, the Marlins are going to be sold off for a new set of position players while they wait for their pitching staff to return to health.

Chisholm will get them something legit back.

Alcantara, Cabrera and Eury Perez are the keys to anything that franchise is going to do in the future.

Not sure what the other six guys have to do with Jake Burgers OPS, but sure.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Not sure what the other six guys have to do with Jake Burgers OPS, but sure.

The Marlins are still better positioned for the future than the White Sox...and that's despite having one of the five worst farm systems in baseball and only the 16th pick in the first round of this June's draft.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The Marlins are still better positioned for the future than the White Sox...and that's despite having one of the five worst farm systems in baseball and only the 16th pick in the first round of this June's draft.

Duh.  There is no team in baseball in a worse position than the White Sox.  Still don't know what that has to do with the OPS of Jake Burger.

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Duh.  There is no team in baseball in a worse position than the White Sox.  Still don't know what that has to do with the OPS of Jake Burger.

You can have Vaughn OR Sheets.  I'll take Burger.

Final season OPS.   Highest number wins.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You can have Vaughn OR Sheets.  I'll take Burger.

Final season OPS.   Highest number wins.

Wins?  Lmao!  Why are you so offended about someone saying that Burgers OPS is absurdly low?  Is this your new KC Royals  San Diego?

6 hours ago, Quin said:

It's only 21 AB but Kevin Pillar's numbers with the Angels are absolutely fucking stupid.

They were also absolutely fucking stupid with the Sox, but in a different way.

• Haha 2

On 5/13/2024 at 8:21 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Wins?  Lmao!  Why are you so offended about someone saying that Burgers OPS is absurdly low?  Is this your new KC Royals  San Diego?

Well, do you think it's gonna stay like that? Judge was under .700 OPS less than a month ago, now he's close to 1.000. It does change fast, like caulfield said. Burger has a 2 home run game and where does that put his OPS? Clearly Burger is a better player than .500 OPS. Watching him play prior to the injury, I think he's actually improved his game. 

Of course, I was happy with trading him and this is one of the reasons why. He's a very good hitter but I imagine you don't hit too good when you're constantly in pain. My back is starting to hurt on a semi regular basis and I don't hit too good either, in this way me and Burger are brothers. 

2 hours ago, GreenSox said:

In the "I didn't realize that he was still in baseball, but I'm glad he is" department, Carson Fulmer has thrown 21 2/3 innings for the Angels with  2.91 ERA.  Decent 1.29 WHIP, and it would be lower, but for the familiar 5.4 BB//9

Wow, that's shocking. I would have figured he was either retired or playing abroad.