Looking forward to 2025.....

22 minutes ago, sin city sox fan said:

Whats realistic for the start of the rebuild next season?   If we get a new manager and add a couple of mid level starters, can we reach 45 wins?    50 wins?   I don't see more than 30 this year, so is a 50-65% improvement realistic or do you expect more?

The problem is the Sox are just beginning one of those long stretches of badness that the Pirates and Orioles have had. Remember when the O's finished last every year and were out of it every May?  Sox need so much of everything I would expect the team to blow chunks again next season. We need a new owner badly. And we need a manager like Maddon when he was good. ... Seriously, in a polite way Jerry needs to be run out of town. How can any reasonable fan accept two tank jobs in such a short period of time?

Edited by greg775

Grifol hasn't even called a team meeting, YET.

Ron Washington managed a 4-1 win for LAA Sunday after the first lecture about his Angels team and that "we can't get off track."

"We just got to make certain that we come to be the ballpark ready to go."

Maybe the City of Chicago will pay JR a bribe/kickback simply to go away and stop embarrassing the city...?

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Grifol hasn't even called a team meeting, YET.

Ron Washington managed a 4-1 win for LAA Sunday after the first lecture about his Angels team and that "we can't get off track."

"We just got to make certain that we come to be the ballpark ready to go."

Grifol could call a team meeting and zero players might show.   That's how little leadership I think he has.

• Like 3

There's no way this team is competitive in 2025 even with new ownership. It will take at least several years to clean up and clean out the rot, incompetence, dysfunction and ineptness that permeates this franchise from top to bottom.

• Like 1
  • Paper Bag 1

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

The problem is the Sox are just beginning one of those long stretches of badness that the Pirates and Orioles have had. Remember when the O's finished last every year and were out of it every May?  Sox need so much of everything I would expect the team to blow chunks again next season. We need a new owner badly. And we need a manager like Maddon when he was good. ... Seriously, in a polite way Jerry needs to be run out of town. How can any reasonable fan accept two tank jobs in such a short period of time?

I don't believe this is the case, unless you have a multi-generational timeline in mind. The White Sox are entering Year 14 (2011 - 2024) of tanking / bad baseball, with five solid months (Ventura 3; Renteria 1; La Russa 1) over this span.

(5) White Sox Months 6+ Wins > .500

1. 19-10 May 2021
  2. 19-9 August 2020
  3. 17-8 April 2016
  4. 16-10 July 2015
  5. 18-11 May 2012

(21) White Sox Months 6+ Wins < .500

1. 8-19 September 2023
  2. 10-17 August 2023
  3. 7-16 July 2023
  4. 7-20 April 2023
  5. 7-17 July 2019
  6. 8-19 September 2018
  7. 9-15 July 2018
  8. 8-19 May 2018
  9. 6-18 April 2018
  10. 11-18 August 2017
  11. 6-18 July 2017
  12. 11-18 May 2017
  13. 11-17 May 2016
  14. 10-16 June 2015
  15. 9-19 August 2014
  16. 7-21 September 2013
  17. 8-18 July 2013
  18. 8-19 June 2013
  19. 11-17 September 2012
  20. 11-17 September 2011
  21. 10-18 April 2011
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Paper Bag 1

We are now basically the feeder/farm system for the rest of MLB...like the G League Unite for the NBA, minus promising high school schoolers.

(Except for Luis Robert Jr.'s presence...however long this lasts until he's traded as well.)

The White Sox had their chance last fall. They could have brought in outside people to run the club, clean some house, and install a new culture. 
Within moments of them saying all options are on the table, JR put his foot down again and said "No...I need my 'Yes Men' to run the club."

No real contention or change will happen until there is new ownership.

Edited by RibbieRubarb
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TLR 1

There is certainly a path to having a competent pitching staff by next year.  That requires Crochet staying healthy, holding onto Fedde, and a few young arms taking a leap (such as Nastrini), but it’s definitely within the realm of possible.

Creating a competent offense by next year will prove challenging.  Jerry would need to add a couple major bats for it to be possible at all.  For example, let’s say Jerry goes out and adds Peter Alonso for 1B and Gleyber Torres for 2B.  Is this lineup good enough to make some noise in the AL Central next year?

1. Benintendi, LF*
  2. Torres, 2B
  3. Robert, CF
  4. Alonso, 1B
  5. Montgomery, SS*
  6. Vaughn, DH
  7. Fletcher, RF*
  8. Ramos, 3B
  9. Quero, CA#

Still a massive amount of question marks and it still requires two free agent signings that would be financially possible but unprecedented from a White Sox commitment standpoint.  Honestly, the lack of high end positional talent in the system is immensely concerning and I’m not sure what Getz plans to do to help address it unless Jerry will finally sign some large checks.  Montgomery alone isn’t enough to get the impact talent to where it needs to be.

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is certainly a path to having a competent pitching staff by next year.  That requires Crochet staying healthy, holding onto Fedde, and a few young arms taking a leap (such as Nastrini), but it’s definitely within the realm of possible.

Creating a competent offense by next year will prove challenging.  Jerry would need to add a couple major bats for it to be possible at all.  For example, let’s say Jerry goes out and adds Peter Alonso for 1B and Gleyber Torres for 2B.  Is this lineup good enough to make some noise in the AL Central next year?

1. Benintendi, LF*
  2. Torres, 2B
  3. Robert, CF
  4. Alonso, 1B
  5. Montgomery, SS*
  6. Vaughn, DH
  7. Fletcher, RF*
  8. Ramos, 3B
  9. Quero, CA#

Still a massive amount of question marks and it still requires two free agent signings that would be financially possible but unprecedented from a White Sox commitment standpoint.  Honestly, the lack of high end positional talent in the system is immensely concerning and I’m not sure what Getz plans to do to help address it unless Jerry will finally sign some large checks.  Montgomery alone isn’t enough to get the impact talent to where it needs to be.

Four of the last five hitters would be rookie or second year players.

Whether it’s Colas or Fletcher, you probably can’t survive without one of those Adam Duvall or Hunter Renfroe types that are going to cost them $6-8 million.

Certainly not Robbie Grossman/Naquin variants at this stage of their careers.

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I hate to break it to the OP, but 2025 isn’t magically going to be better. 

Not much left in the cupboard to trade.

Might as well get the max for Wilson or Kopech as quasi closers like Reylo last year.

27 minutes ago, Quin said:

No, not yet.

He somehow sees a light at the end of this tunnel.

45-50 wins next season is “light at the end of the tunnel?” 😂

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Benintendi, LF*
  2. Torres, 2B
  3. Robert, CF
  4. Alonso, 1B
  5. Montgomery, SS*
  6. Vaughn, DH
  7. Fletcher, RF*
  8. Ramos, 3B
  9. Quero, CA#

Only used three of the five stages of grief:  A little bit of denial, some bargaining and then straight to acceptance at the end. I've been in a perpetual anger and depression

loop myself since last April.

Edited by zisk
spelling

13 hours ago, greg775 said:

The problem is the Sox are just beginning one of those long stretches of badness that the Pirates and Orioles have had. Remember when the O's finished last every year and were out of it every May

The White Sox will be out of it by mid-April let alone May!

1 hour ago, RibbieRubarb said:

The White Sox had their chance last fall. They could have brought in outside people to run the club, clean some house, install a new culture. 
Within moments of them saying all options are on the table, JR put his put down again and said "No...I need my 'Yes Men' to run the club."

No real contention or change will happen until there is new ownership.

Give the Sox a fork in the road to choose their path, and they will stab themselves in the eye with it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

There's no way this team is competitive in 2025 even with new ownership. It will take at least several years to clean up and clean out the rot, incompetence, dysfunction and ineptness that permeates this franchise from top to bottom.

This is exactly why I don't get people who are still living and dying with each AB.

• Fire 1