Jump to content

Jake Burger


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, greg775 said:

Is Jake kind of a free spirit? I get the vibe of a fun loving Babe Ruth-ish type personality where he'd love a good hot dog in about the 7th inning. He just seems Curley-esque to me. Maybe we can get him back on the cheap.

He def seems like a guy that likes to have a "good time". I famously dinged him for looking out of shape and drinking beer at English soccer games during his comeback. I think he's a guy that loves baseball but also loves other things, which is great. You got too many guys on our squad like Vaughn that it just looks like their entire brain is devoted to baseball and when they are scuffling it is not easy to get those types turned around. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

I have a feeling the same thing will happen when the Sox release Eloy and Moncada after this season. Some people out there love them. There is just no future in where those guys can make this team a contender. They cannot be relied upon to perform.

If Moncada and Eloy can ever stay healthy (healthy - not just not on the IR), for a full season, they would be much more valuable than Burger.

Your last sentence is basically inarguable. They cannot be relied upon to perform.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hogan873 said:

Burger is a nice guy and a cool story after battling injuries.  His performance in Miami after the trade may end up being an outlier, as he's hitting like he did with the Sox while getting more playing time.  Time will tell with Eder, but as others have pointed out, one of the most likely scenarios is neither guy turns out to be much of a player.  Sure, his power numbers would look decent on the Sox right now, but his BA would fit right in with the schlub parade that gets rolled out daily.

There are a few folks on Twitter that are absolutely obsessed with Burger (and TA) and wax ad nauseum about them and how much they want them back.  Neither guy would add much value to the Sox right now.

I’m not sure about twitter but the pro Jake Burger crowd on this website got awfully quiet recently. He seemed like a nice guy but he added little to no value to a roster already full with DH types. And at this point I’d rather see what a top 10 Prospect like Ramos can do at 3B or Veras at DH before giving more ABs to guys like Burger and Eloy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not sure about twitter but the pro Jake Burger crowd on this website got awfully quiet recently. He seemed like a nice guy but he added little to no value to a roster already full with DH types. And at this point I’d rather see what a top 10 Prospect like Ramos can do at 3B or Veras at DH before giving more ABs to guys like Burger and Eloy.

Well, he's been hurt.  Even so, he still has 15 RBI and is better than most players on the Sox.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

Well, he's been hurt.  Even so, he still has 15 RBI and is better than most players on the Sox.

RBIs are a direct product of the guys in front of you.  If Burger was on the Sox he would not have 15 RBI.

  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not sure about twitter but the pro Jake Burger crowd on this website got awfully quiet recently. He seemed like a nice guy but he added little to no value to a roster already full with DH types. And at this point I’d rather see what a top 10 Prospect like Ramos can do at 3B or Veras at DH before giving more ABs to guys like Burger and Eloy.

I'll stop being 'quiet' about Burger. He actually has 15 RBIs which is darn good for the amount of at bats. And I've read some stories from Miami for when he got hurt. The skipper was dejected. He was all about Jake Burger. Don't forget the RBIs and don't forget how it's just April. It used to take my fave, Abreu, forever to get going. Long live Burger!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Paper Bag 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Middle Buffalo said:

If Moncada and Eloy can ever stay healthy (healthy - not just not on the IR), for a full season, they would be much more valuable than Burger.

Your last sentence is basically inarguable. They cannot be relied upon to perform.

I just think they've been injured so much that even if they miraculously were able to stay healthy for one full season, no team would be willing to give anything of substance in return. And let's face it...they are always going to be out due to injury for at least 2 months for the duration of the season. It's inevitable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He started off really hot then went 2-26 over a week long stretch then went on the IL. Probably he was playing hurt and it tanked a small sample size of plate appearances. I still think the Burger trade  was a good idea, but he didn’t forget how to hit. Frankly I think he’ll get even better and combine the two parts of his game that hit for power and hit for average into one complete package. Provided he can stay healthy which is a big ask. He’s kind of old but he’s not a finished product, I bet he could become an average defensive 3B too (Max Muncy with speed). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

He started off really hot then went 2-26 over a week long stretch then went on the IL. Probably he was playing hurt and it tanked a small sample size of plate appearances. I still think the Burger trade  was a good idea, but he didn’t forget how to hit. Frankly I think he’ll get even better and combine the two parts of his game that hit for power and hit for average into one complete package. Provided he can stay healthy which is a big ask. He’s kind of old but he’s not a finished product, I bet he could become an average defensive 3B too (Max Muncy with speed). 

I can't see him playing 3B or 2B obviously not short. That leaves 1B or DH for Mr. Burger. I think he's a DH. There's absolutely no position for Jake IMO. Could he be an acceptable first baseman? I have no idea but I'd think not by eye test only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

He started off really hot then went 2-26 over a week long stretch then went on the IL. Probably he was playing hurt and it tanked a small sample size of plate appearances. I still think the Burger trade  was a good idea, but he didn’t forget how to hit. Frankly I think he’ll get even better and combine the two parts of his game that hit for power and hit for average into one complete package. Provided he can stay healthy which is a big ask. He’s kind of old but he’s not a finished product, I bet he could become an average defensive 3B too (Max Muncy with speed). 

Obliques are pretty much the worst injuries a baseball player can ever have...except UCL and maybe deep deep plantar fascia injuries.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I can't see him playing 3B or 2B obviously not short. That leaves 1B or DH for Mr. Burger. I think he's a DH. There's absolutely no position for Jake IMO. Could he be an acceptable first baseman? I have no idea but I'd think not by eye test only.

Probably not. But maybe. Then again probably not. I think he has the range and arm to be decent at 3B, just not the health. 

I'm kind of hoping the Cubs trade for him, they could use him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nrockway said:

Probably not. But maybe. Then again probably not. I think he has the range and arm to be decent at 3B, just not the health. 

I'm kind of hoping the Cubs trade for him, they could use him. 

Morel Wisdom and Madrigal aren't the answer.

Burger .213, Anderson .212, White Sox hitting problems somehow affecting the rest of MLB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Morel Wisdom and Madrigal aren't the answer.

Burger .213, Anderson .212, White Sox hitting problems somehow affecting the rest of MLB.

I think there might actually be something to this regarding the Sox and Marlins. Fools gold teams that eventually collapsed and revealed serious organizational deficiencies. Maybe Ng really took after her old buddy Kw and infected the Marlins with Sox issues. 

jokes aside, this got me thinking, I’ve been watching a bunch of Dodgers games lately (sue me) and you watch them play and see an organization that actually sets its players up for success. Muncy was talking about preparation and how their coaching staff gets them ready to hit — it was a far cry from Luis Robert’s mantra “I just know their velocity”. Consequently, you see guys like Pages get called up and set the world on fire despite having serious flaws in their game.
I’m certain the Sox hitting woes as a team is more reflective of the coaching than it is the individual players. Schriffen had a bit about our hitting coach who said plainly “I let the guys do their own thing and they can come to me if they need help.” That’s BS and it clearly isn’t working. Scouting and preparation is half the battle and I don’t feel like there’s an impetus from the coaching staff to do any of that. At least on the hitting side of things, I’m probably a minority that thinks Katz does an OK job. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I think there might actually be something to this regarding the Sox and Marlins. Fools gold teams that eventually collapsed and revealed serious organizational deficiencies. Maybe Ng really took after her old buddy Kw and infected the Marlins with Sox issues. 

jokes aside, this got me thinking, I’ve been watching a bunch of Dodgers games lately (sue me) and you watch them play and see an organization that actually sets its players up for success. Muncy was talking about preparation and how their coaching staff gets them ready to hit — it was a far cry from Luis Robert’s mantra “I just know their velocity”. Consequently, you see guys like Pages get called up and set the world on fire despite having serious flaws in their game.
I’m certain the Sox hitting woes as a team is more reflective of the coaching than it is the individual players. Schriffen had a bit about our hitting coach who said plainly “I let the guys do their own thing and they can come to me if they need help.” That’s BS and it clearly isn’t working. Scouting and preparation is half the battle and I don’t feel like there’s an impetus from the coaching staff to do any of that. At least on the hitting side of things, I’m probably a minority that thinks Katz does an OK job. 

The Dodgers battle you every single at bat, up and down the lineup...all game long.  They just wear teams down until one of their relievers eventually cracks.

Three MVP candidates and Smith isn't far behind.

But even the complementary guys like Pages Outman (last year) Heyward.  Lux and Taylor have given you almost nothing and they're still hunting along and obviously getting more and more of their starting pitchers back as well.

The single biggest problem is running away from the division too easily and getting caught by a hot team in the first round.

Well...that and the bullpen.

Edited by caulfield12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, nrockway said:

I think there might actually be something to this regarding the Sox and Marlins. Fools gold teams that eventually collapsed and revealed serious organizational deficiencies. Maybe Ng really took after her old buddy Kw and infected the Marlins with Sox issues. 

jokes aside, this got me thinking, I’ve been watching a bunch of Dodgers games lately (sue me) and you watch them play and see an organization that actually sets its players up for success. Muncy was talking about preparation and how their coaching staff gets them ready to hit — it was a far cry from Luis Robert’s mantra “I just know their velocity”. Consequently, you see guys like Pages get called up and set the world on fire despite having serious flaws in their game.
I’m certain the Sox hitting woes as a team is more reflective of the coaching than it is the individual players. Schriffen had a bit about our hitting coach who said plainly “I let the guys do their own thing and they can come to me if they need help.” That’s BS and it clearly isn’t working. Scouting and preparation is half the battle and I don’t feel like there’s an impetus from the coaching staff to do any of that. At least on the hitting side of things, I’m probably a minority that thinks Katz does an OK job. 

What happened to her after she left Marlins?  Did any team pick her up?  Any reason why not?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What the heck are you bozos really missed about his stat?

        AVG:.200

        HR:3

        OBP: .250

         SLG:.369

         OPS:.619

 Wow,all star material, i know it's only 65ab but it's not like  he's a great track record to falls back on. It's not a game changing trade but  like i said that stat is abysmal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope Burger has a good 5-6 years. Mainly cause I was so wrong about him. I hated the pick in the draft mainly cause he's only a DH. His defense reeks.

But I love him and wish he was on the Sox hitting mabe 30 hrs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

The Sox sold high on Burger. 

Way too early to call that trade anything resembling a success when the biggest need on the major league roster now and in the future is power/offense.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...