Fedde linked to Giants...?

JoeC

39 minutes ago, oldsox said:

Fedde signed a 2-year deal, so there is value there. Value for Sox, that is.

Yeah, there’s definitely value in that second year at $7.5M for a team looking to trade. Look at what other back-end type free agents got just this past offseason.

26 minutes ago, Snopek said:

For me, it’s hoping that:

1) Player development will improve enough where you have waves of talent supplementing the major league roster instead of relying on the same few players to stay healthy and blossom into superstars year after year.

2) The money that JR does allow to be spent will be allocated better aka not spending 50 trillion dollars on the bullpen.

If Getz can convince ownership to bring in one less crappy bench player/ reliever per year and spend that money on player development,  scouting, drafting, and the minors in general,  Getz is already a better GM than Hahn.  The problem is Getz seems to be perfectly willing to waste money on pointless players as he keeps turning over an awful roster, so I don't have a lot of hope.  A perfect example is wasting a one year deal on Shaw.  That $1.5 million could have fed minor leaguers,  hired scouts, and/or more modern development programming. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

Fedde signed a 2-year deal, so there is value there. Value for Sox, that is.

There is value to the Sox, but the reality is he is more valuable to a team in the midst of a post-season run and we can always sign a veteran next offseason to the fill void.  If you can get a nice prospect or two for him at the deadline, you definitely do it.

• Like 1

Realistically we are likely looking at a rotation like this next year:

1. Crochet
  2. Nastrini
  3. Thorpe
  4. Cannon
  5. Eder/Iriarte/FA

I just don’t see a need for Fedde unless no one is willing to pay up for him at the deadline.  If not, he’s a quality, cheap depth option to push the young kids next year.

20 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Crochet
  2. Nastrini
  3. Thorpe
  4. Cannon
  5. Eder/Iriarte/FA

I just don’t see a need for Fedde unless no one is willing to pay up for him at the deadline.  If not, he’s a quality, cheap depth option to push the young kids next year.

Don't forget Clevinger unless some other team decides to actually sign him next off season before the Sox do.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

There is value to the Sox, but the reality is he is more valuable to a team in the midst of a post-season run and we can always sign a veteran next offseason to the fill void.  If you can get a nice prospect or two for him at the deadline, you definitely do it.

Yeah, if he is anywhere near a mid rotation type of starter, teams will pay up for him.  All you have to do is look at what pitching was sold for at the last deadline.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, if he is anywhere near a mid rotation type of starter, teams will pay up for him.  All you have to do is look at what pitching was sold for at the last deadline.

Just look at the deals the Sox made. Giolito and one of, if not, the worst pitcher in baseball brought back good offers.

37 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

...unless it's Mike Clevinger, apparently.

But yes - all Fedde has to do is prove himself to be a solid #4, and he'll be well worth the signing for the return we'll get

12 minutes ago, JoeC said:

...unless it's Mike Clevinger, apparently.

But yes - all Fedde has to do is prove himself to be a solid #4, and he'll be well worth the signing for the return we'll get

Assuming they don't have the Clevinger baggage, sure. 

18 hours ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

At what point do we stop rooting for actual competitive players to be traded away for prospects that may or may not work out, and start actually rooting for winning baseball? Like I understand the rationale behind it, but we already did this once. Under the same ownership. It did not work. I guess people think this is the only hope this team has but, if Jerry didn't let it be successful the first time, why the hell would he let it be successful the second time?

2026, but 2027 more likely.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Assuming they don't have the Clevinger baggage, sure. 

Clevenger had other issues then the scandalous baggage last year.  This year if he pitches well and there are enough teams with hope and he is a 4.0 ERA guy he could net something decent.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

Clevenger had other issues then the scandalous baggage last year.  This year if he pitches well and there are enough teams with hope and he is a 4.0 ERA guy he could net something decent.

I frankly doubt it. Plenty of teams could have used Clevinger going into the season and know what he's capable of. And if he's toast, it's a minor league contract, no major loss. Re-signing him was the stupidest thing Getz has done, mostly from a moral standpoint but also from a baseball perspective too. There are about 10 pitchers in the organization that I'd rather see develop than watch Clevinger's old slimy ass net the Sox 2 extra wins in a 120 loss season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

He already had a season to "prove" himself and he was still essentially unwanted this offseason.  Not sure what changes, but if we are going to have him, hopefully we get something for him this time, but I wouldn't count on it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

1. Crochet
  2. Nastrini
  3. Thorpe
  4. Cannon
  5. Eder/Iriarte/FA

We can't fall victim into believing that all of Nastini, Cannon, Thorpe, etc. are going to be hits. I'm totally fine with trading Fedde if a competitor offers a decent package, but the Sox need some sort of veteran presence that can give you 150+ innings. Let the arms force their way in, and keep amassing as much depth as possible.

Nice job by Fedde so far. Hopefully he just stays focused on himself and ends up on a contender in a few months. We should accumulate as much young talent as possible. My hope is a huge package of prospects for Robert, Fedde, and Wilson. It really could be a difference making trio of players that give you a shot in an LCS and World Series.  

24 minutes ago, flavum said:

Nice job by Fedde so far. Hopefully he just stays focused on himself and ends up on a contender in a few months. We should accumulate as much young talent as possible. My hope is a huge package of prospects for Robert, Fedde, and Wilson. It really could be a difference making trio of players that give you a shot in an LCS and World Series.  

Modern day White Flag.

On 4/20/2024 at 12:43 AM, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

We can't fall victim into believing that all of Nastini, Cannon, Thorpe, etc. are going to be hits. I'm totally fine with trading Fedde if a competitor offers a decent package, but the Sox need some sort of veteran presence that can give you 150+ innings. Let the arms force their way in, and keep amassing as much depth as possible.

No doubt, but you have to give them a chance to fail before you go out and purposely block them.  Again, I’m not against having a veteran in the mix (we probably should), but if Fedde can return a legit positional prospect at the deadline that can help soon, then you make the trade and sign a vet in FA next offseason if necessary.  Given where we’re at, he’s more valuable to a playoff contender than he is to us.

• Like 1