AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!×

2 hours ago, Quin said:

The ditch

The Ditch.PNG

Yeah, when your team has won 10 of its first 38 games, it is an odd time to take a victory lap, especially when the lead MLB by a LONG margin for number of players rostered in those 38 games.  When you have a .263 winning percentage, maybe management should be digging ditches instead of running a multi billion dollar operation?  Nah, I wouldn't insult the honest people who dig ditches by associating them with Getz.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, when your team has won 10 of its first 38 games, it is an odd time to take a victory lap, especially when the lead MLB by a LONG margin for number of players rostered in those 38 games.  When you have a .263 winning percentage, maybe management should be digging ditches instead of running a multi billion dollar operation?  Nah, I wouldn't insult the honest people who dig ditches by associating them with Getz.

I'm kind of confused, but who, exactly, is taking a "victory lap"? People are calling this team, "finally watchable". I don't see any "I told you so" or dunking. It just seems like relief that an abnormal team slump seems to have abated. Saying that "maybe this team can play sub-.500 ball going forward" would be an odd victory lap. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

It's weird to see people dumping on anyone trying to squeeze any last bit of enjoyment or hope out of this miserable season. Just let people be optimistic about that small bit of hope left in the bottom of Pandora's box. Sheesh.

Edited by almagest
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

Aren’t they 7-6 in their last 13 now? That seems like a healthy enough sample to think of as an actual trend. 

Also, I will happily eat crow on Gavin Sheets if he continues to hit and get on base at this clip…

7-6 would have looked like a lot better if they had started the season that way. Instead, they dug themselves into a big hole. 

Actually, I am optimistic. It was hard to believe they were that bad. But they have to do it for more than 13 games. If they can be respectable for the rest of the season, that will be fine with me. Just no 100 losses.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Highland said:

7-6 would have looked like a lot better if they had started the season that way. Instead, they dug themselves into a big hole. 

Actually, I am optimistic. It was hard to believe they were that bad. But they have to do it for more than 13 games. If they can be respectable for the rest of the season, that will be fine with me. Just no 100 losses.

I hear you, but record has nothing to do with progress this season, IMO. I really don’t care if they lose 90 or 110, as this team has no way to make the playoffs, and no way to get the number 1 pick. I think as hard as it is to divorce ourselves from our record, we have to do it, partially to stay sane. 

I think success this season will be in making the right decisions about which young players under long term control this team can move forward with that can produce at the major league level.

If that means we end up at the end of the year with at least Lee, Ramos,  etc being major league talent, we succeed. If we prove that Moncada and Jimenez are too injury prone to move forward with, we succeed. If we prove Sheets is a better option at 1b than Vaughn (and that the latter is a bust), we succeed. This season has to be about separating the wheat from the chaff and moving forward.

One would hope that would maybe include eating Benintendi’s contract, but that’s very unlikely to happen. 

Edited by Greg Hibbard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Nardiwashere said:

lol, are people angry the team won some games in the last week?

Not at all.  I just don’t see this as any thing more than a blip, not an upward trend.  

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We have the worst RD in MLB easily and are on pace for 120 losses. We've played like 40 games. The season is almost 1/4 over. If an NFL team was 1-3 and had been blown out in every loss and had the worst differential in the league at the quarter mark nobody would be talking about patience or small sample size.

I'm sorry but this is a terrible team that is playing decent baseball for a week or so there's nothing "big picture" to be that excited about.

Do love that at 10-28 but 4-6 in the last 10 the Getz sunshine blowers are claiming victory. Talk about ironic posts.

I really think the Sox have a chance to keep winning at a .460 clip if Clevinger does his job and they let Crochet pitch well into the season. Again, why can't Getz continue this. It's obvious if we got rid of some of the obvious stiffs and kept bringing up guys we'd have a chance. Lopez, Maldy, maybe even Beni should be jettisoned and we need to add a very good starter from somewhere. I know just these few additions have taken the Sox out of the lose 9 of every 10 category. Pham deserves a raise already. Finally the winner we've needed on the field and apparently in the locker room. And our YOUNG new 3Bman? A breath of fresh air.

Yes we could lose 16 of 17 again but I wish Getz would go for the throat and make a few more moves that help the team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I really think the Sox have a chance to keep winning at a .460 clip if Clevinger does his job and they let Crochet pitch well into the season. Again, why can't Getz continue this. It's obvious if we got rid of some of the obvious stiffs and kept bringing up guys we'd have a chance. Lopez, Maldy, maybe even Beni should be jettisoned and we need to add a very good starter from somewhere. I know just these few additions have taken the Sox out of the lose 9 of every 10 category. Pham deserves a raise already. Finally the winner we've needed on the field and apparently in the locker room. And our YOUNG new 3Bman? A breath of fresh air.

Yes we could lose 16 of 17 again but I wish Getz would go for the throat and make a few more moves that help the team.

A .460 clip plays out to a 74.5 win rate over the course of a season, or around 75-87 for a record over a full season.  Let's just keep it simple and say I don't buy it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We have the worst RD in MLB easily and are on pace for 120 losses. We've played like 40 games. The season is almost 1/4 over. If an NFL team was 1-3 and had been blown out in every loss and had the worst differential in the league at the quarter mark nobody would be talking about patience or small sample size.

I'm sorry but this is a terrible team that is playing decent baseball for a week or so there's nothing "big picture" to be that excited about.

Do love that at 10-28 but 4-6 in the last 10 the Getz sunshine blowers are claiming victory. Talk about ironic posts.

I'm not claiming anything, just pointing out people are generally impatient and judge things way too soon and create reasons to be upset.

Plenty of real reasons to be upset without crying about Matthew Thompson .

Also if a Getz sunshine blower is a guy who realizes he's dealing with an owner who's basically forced him to operate on the fringes I'll accept that.

I see that as reality and the big picture.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Not at all.  I just don’t see this as any thing more than a blip, not an upward trend.  

The whole season is a series of blips. A couple of guys are hot pitching and hitting and the Sox have eeked out some Ws.

Getz has subtracted,added, subtracted added all off season and during the season and that will continue when we have injuries, get the injured players back, trade and then promote others.

Then dump more salary in the off season and we'll get to see if Getz is allowed to spend more. Unfortunately spending in a low mid to mid tier is when the old regime wasted the most money and frankly the owner has already proclaimed that the Sox cannot compete at their current location. Getz will have to be miracle worker to get this franchise back to .500 let alone competing for a playoff spot in the next few years.

Things are looking good with Crochet, Ramos, etc., and then you realize you have that annoying wart (Benintendi) that isn’t going away anytime soon.  Man, next offseason would be looking so good with Moncada and Eloy gone, but then we still have that albatross.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Rusty said:

No s%*#.  What a condescending fucking prick.

I'm working up to the level of dunking on people for an alternate spelling of "doob". LOL. Hose off your shovel before you head to the pay trailer. Then treat yourself to a deaub. 

Edited by WestEddy

6 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

A couple of the kids have looked good and they're starting to have some tradeable assets eg Fedde, Leasure, Wilson. That's progress for the organization. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Flexen and Kopech might also be building value. 

I’m starting to think the Sox should go to a six man rotation.  It seems like both Crochet and Flexen could pitch better with extra rest.  This is a lost season.  Try to build up the value for all of these guys, even if its for a flier prospect at the deadline.  Wins and losses don’t matter.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Things are looking good with Crochet, Ramos, etc., and then you realize you have that annoying wart (Benintendi) that isn’t going away anytime soon.  Man, next offseason would be looking so good with Moncada and Eloy gone, but then we still have that albatross.

You think the Sox would be better without Eloy ? LOL, OK whatever.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

@tray, I see that you laughed at my post.  What did I get wrong?  Eloy is currently sporting a .616 OPS.

I know you love Eloy but are you saying that you want to give him his $16.5 million club option over a $3 million buyout for 2025?

I will bet my left nut that Getz tosses him his $3 million dollar buyout faster than you can even whine about it.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, tray said:

You think the Sox would be better without Eloy ? LOL, OK whatever.

.616 OPS.  He doesn’t play the field and he’s basically just a mistake pitch hitter.  What do you see in this guy that no other Sox fan does?  He’s mediocre and overpaid.  The Quintana trade paid off cuz of Cease, but Eloy was and has been an injury-prone bust since he was in the Cubs minor leagues.  I literally remember Cubs fans wanting to trade him cuz he couldn’t play the outfield and couldn’t stay healthy.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, 4OCS said:

Have to agree Sox would be better off without Eloy. Can’t play a position and generally all around bad at baseball

Yup.  Eloy’s career line:

.271 AVG  /  .321 OBP  /  .479 SLG  /  .800 OPS

Decent numbers if he could play a position.  Pathetic numbers for a DH only player.  @tray needs to just accept that Eloy is a bust and watch Getz take the trash to the garbage.  Eloy won’t be with the White Sox in 2025 and only @tray will be surprised.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Yup.  Eloy’s career line:

.271 AVG  /  .321 OBP  /  .479 SLG  /  .800 OPS

Decent numbers if he could play a position.  Pathetic numbers for a DH only player.  @tray needs to just accept that Eloy is a bust and watch Getz take the trash to the garbage.  Eloy won’t be with the White Sox in 2025 and only @tray will be surprised.

You don't know who you are talking to.

• Haha 2

Eloy has had some bad batted ball luck this season so I don't think he's played as bad as it looks in the box score. He's a MLB-quality hitter, this Sox team needs him around from the standpoint of someone who wants the team to not be the worst in franchise history.

2 hours ago, TaylorStSox said:

A couple of the kids have looked good and they're starting to have some tradeable assets eg Fedde, Leasure, Wilson. That's progress for the organization. 

Why would they trade Leasure? I’ll assume you meant someone else.