Jump to content

GMs skeptical teams meet price for Robert


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Robert has avg'd very good WAR over past 4 years so I don't see high risk there either. Some risk - but also high degree upside as well. I think Bmags showed he is Top 5 in WAR at his respective position since 2020 (or 2021).  That includes missing time etc.  

He's a star. In a big OF fully healthy he's saving you 20 runs a year. CF is slim pickings right now in MLB. There is no doubt he's a star and people trying to say otherwise are foolish.

  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TaylorStSox said:

I would have paid good money to see Robert pull that s%*# in Cleveland with somebody like Carl Everett on the team. I don't want Robert anywhere near whatever prospects we have on the team.

And you would want Carl Everett around prospects?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

He's a star. In a big OF fully healthy he's saving you 20 runs a year. CF is slim pickings right now in MLB. There is no doubt he's a star and people trying to say otherwise are foolish.

There are just 7 MLB CFers of pace for 2.5 fWAR seasons

 

 

Judge 11.6  Yankees could use Robert in CF instead

Duran BOS 6.6 unproven over a full season

Doyle COL 5.0 see above, and Bleday comment below…only 782 OPS

Merrill 4.8 would only go for Robert or Crochet

Varsho 3.8 (suggested all offseason as acquisition target)

Chisholm 2.8 often suggested trade target

JJ Bleday 2.6 OAK. How would he perform under real pressure?

 

Surely Rolle Tide would find something wrong with ALL those names but Judge!!!

But if I didn’t like Robert asking price would move on to Jazz Chisholm…who has an equally spotty injury history to Luis.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Quin said:

And you would want Carl Everett around prospects?

He was a mean son of a b**** as a player and doesn't believe in dinosaurs, but he played the game "the right way." I wouldn't mind him around prospects. He commanded respect. 

Robert and Moncada have spent their careers training like idiots and caring more about their social media profiles than baseball, but at least Moncada pretended like he gave a s%*#. Robert acts like he has zero respect for the team and the fans. I'm a White Sox player apologist and I can not stand Robert and his bs.

The rebuild didn't work and most of your buddies have played their way off the team, but you're a 5 year vet and a millionaire. Stop moping and show some professionalism. Be a God damn adult.

Edited by TaylorStSox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

He was a mean son of a b**** as a player and doesn't believe in dinosaurs, but he played the game "the right way." I wouldn't mind him around prospects. He commanded respect. 

Robert and Moncada have spent their careers training like idiots and caring more about their social media profiles than baseball, but at least Moncada pretended like he gave a s%*#. Robert acts like he has zero respect for the team and the fans. I'm a White Sox player apologist and I can not stand Robert and his bs.

The rebuild didn't work and most of your buddies have played their way off the team, but you're a 5 year vet and a millionaire. Stop moping and show some professionalism. Be a God damn adult.

What did Robert do?  I may have missed something…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

He was a mean son of a b**** as a player and doesn't believe in dinosaurs, but he played the game "the right way." I wouldn't mind him around prospects. He commanded respect. 

Robert and Moncada have spent their careers training like idiots and caring more about their social media profiles than baseball, but at least Moncada pretended like he gave a s%*#. Robert acts like he has zero respect for the team and the fans. I'm a White Sox player apologist and I can not stand Robert and his bs.

The rebuild didn't work and most of your buddies have played their way off the team, but you're a 5 year vet and a millionaire. Stop moping and show some professionalism. Be a God damn adult.

This is a good way of glazing over the domestic abuse, the homophobia, the moon landing denial, holding a gun against his wife's head and witness tampering. 

But sure, right way or whatever.

  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, T R U said:

Im sure he wants to be extended, but we won't offer what that will take to get it done.

I know you get this, but seems like most others don't. Garrett Crochet is arguably one of the best pitchers in baseball at this point in time. Hes not going to accept some $15 million a year sweetheart deal from the White Sox when he will be looking at $30 million a year in 2 seasons.

2 seasons is a lifetime and some of are treating it like nothing. He's a long way off from $30M a year. It was just 6 months ago that most thought he had a high chance of being injured and thought if he was going to start in would be in the minors.

Yes he has upped his value tremendously but he's not even at the point where he can pitch a full season yet.

You're putting the cart way before the horse here.

Plenty of talented player's bet on themselves eyeing a big payday and then hit regression and injury . Recently Conforto went through it. Didn't he turn down a big extension ? He hasn't come close to what he was offered that he turned down.

For years Rodon couldn't fulfill his promise. Then boom one good seasons the the Sox where he wore down at the end. The Sox didn't even give him a QO . He had to prove it all over the next year with the Giants 2 years $44M .He managed to stay healthy again , opted out and got his big contract and got hurt again.

Rodon had to be non tendered because of his injuries and was a free agent 3 times in 3 years. He was very fortunate his best 2 years were his $3M 2021 with the Sox and his next year with the Giants.

Crochet still has his Arb 2 and Arb 3 years to go before he reaches Free Agency. I'd be willing to bet anyone he doesn't make $30M in 2027. He be really lucky to stay healthy enough to get a shot to make $20M in 2027.

I don't know if the Sox made him a real extension offer but   if they did it was on the conservative side and rightly so.

Just because he's been miraculous this season doesn't mean he can pull off the same miracle 3 years in a row. He has the talent but will his arm hold up ? It's hard to navigate uncharted waters.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Plenty of talented player's bet on themselves eyeing a big payday and then hit regression and injury . Recently Conforto went through it. Didn't he turn down a big extension ? He hasn't come close to what he was offered that he turned down.

Juan Gonzalez is the most famous example that comes to mind. 

Crochet just looks like he's finally healthy, and is going to be one of the top pitchers hitting the market at that young age. I could see him being amenable to guaranteeing the 2 arb years. He might give a discount on one FA year to get that. 3/$45m. I don't see him going longer, and I don't see a team going shorter. 

Seriously, if he takes 3/$45m, his grand kids are all millionaire Yale grads. But he's not being invited to be part of a group that buys the NO Saints, or whatever. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Quin said:

This is a good way of glazing over the domestic abuse, the homophobia, the moon landing denial, holding a gun against his wife's head and witness tampering. 

But sure, right way or whatever.

These are all crimes committed after he retired. I'm not sure how that's relevant to his baseball career and holding his teammates accountable. Super weird gotcha. Including moon landing conspiracies with spousal abuse is even weirder. Homophobia amongst the sports community is still so rampant I'm not even sure why you would bring it up. Overall, a post that's equally weird as it is irrelevant.

If we want to go super meathead, we could just insert AJ for Everett and my point would stand. Nobody has ever held Robert accountable for his bullshit.

 

Edited by TaylorStSox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

These are all crimes committed after he retired. I'm not sure how that's relevant to his baseball career and holding his teammates accountable. Super weird gotcha. Including moon landing conspiracies with spousal abuse is even weirder. Homophobia amongst the sports community is still so rampant I'm not even sure why you would bring it up. Overall, a post that's equally weird as it is irrelevant.

If we want to go super meathead, we could just insert AJ for Everett and my point would stand. Nobody has ever held Robert accountable for his bullshit.

 

He’s trying to hold you accountable for posting bullshit like this… that’s my take at least 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Star from a production standpoint, not from a Cauldield marketing perspective

That's the thing, his production has never matched the hype. Even his one excellent season is full of red flags. His k:bb ratio is alarming and his defense is declining rapidly. I would guess it's an effort issue, but that might be even more alarming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

Juan Gonzalez is the most famous example that comes to mind. 

Crochet just looks like he's finally healthy, and is going to be one of the top pitchers hitting the market at that young age. I could see him being amenable to guaranteeing the 2 arb years. He might give a discount on one FA year to get that. 3/$45m. I don't see him going longer, and I don't see a team going shorter. 

Seriously, if he takes 3/$45m, his grand kids are all millionaire Yale grads. But he's not being invited to be part of a group that buys the NO Saints, or whatever. 

Thought of Gonzalez but I went with the more recent Conforto example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, hi8is said:

He’s trying to hold you accountable for posting bullshit like this… that’s my take at least 😆

Going further, Everett clashed with teammates and opposing players, as well as managers (again, his own and other teams’). It all got to be too much of a headache for the Red Sox and, despite his prodigious production at the plate, they traded him to the Texas Rangers after the 2001 season for Darren Oliver.

After his tenure with the Red Sox, Everett continued to spout off on a variety of subjects including the fact that he had homosexual teammates in the past (perhaps even on the Red Sox) and that he thought it was “wrong” as well as downplaying the steroid scandal that was starting to rock baseball. There were also stories of he and his wife abusing their children (before his time in Boston) and a troubling report of Everett threatening his wife with a gun (after his Boston tenure).

While he was productive at the plate during his two seasons in Boston, he was also a headcase and a volatile personality who lashed out both verbally and physically. Carl Everett was certainly a troubled man before, during, and after his time in Boston, but no Red Sox fan who was around in 2000 and 2001 can help but remember outright insanity he brought to the team which somehow fit the vibe of those seasons.

 

https://bosoxinjection.com/2020/05/29/boston-red-sox-controversial-figures-carl-everett/

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

That's the thing, his production has never matched the hype. Even his one excellent season is full of red flags. His k:bb ratio is alarming and his defense is declining rapidly. I would guess it's an effort issue, but that might be even more alarming.

He’s still one of the best offensive CFs in the game despite that bad, but improving BB:K ratio (go take a look if you don’t believe me).  And how is his defense declining rapidly?  No doubt he’s not giving it his all.  Not sure why that’s alarming when this a team that’s on the brink of being the worst in MLB history.  We have seen what he’s capable of when the team is competing.  His effort has never been in question prior to this season and I am willing bet he turns it up a notch if traded to a contender.

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Going further, Everett clashed with teammates and opposing players, as well as managers (again, his own and other teams’). It all got to be too much of a headache for the Red Sox and, despite his prodigious production at the plate, they traded him to the Texas Rangers after the 2001 season for Darren Oliver.

After his tenure with the Red Sox, Everett continued to spout off on a variety of subjects including the fact that he had homosexual teammates in the past (perhaps even on the Red Sox) and that he thought it was “wrong” as well as downplaying the steroid scandal that was starting to rock baseball. There were also stories of he and his wife abusing their children (before his time in Boston) and a troubling report of Everett threatening his wife with a gun (after his Boston tenure).

While he was productive at the plate during his two seasons in Boston, he was also a headcase and a volatile personality who lashed out both verbally and physically. Carl Everett was certainly a troubled man before, during, and after his time in Boston, but no Red Sox fan who was around in 2000 and 2001 can help but remember outright insanity he brought to the team which somehow fit the vibe of those seasons.

 

https://bosoxinjection.com/2020/05/29/boston-red-sox-controversial-figures-carl-everett/

Was Everett a homophobe or was he calling out his teammates for being homophobes? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He’s still one of the best offensive CFs in the game despite that bad, but improving BB:K ratio (go take a look if you don’t believe me).  And how is his defense declining rapidly?  No doubt he’s not giving it his all.  Not sure why that’s alarming when this a team that’s on the brink of being the worst in MLB history.  We have seen what he’s capable of when the team is competing.  His effort has never been in question prior to this season and I am willing bet he turns it up a notch if traded to a contender.

One of the best offensive CF's is a pretty bad metric when you're a notably bad CF. In reality, Robert is an immensely talented player who doesn't play a lot, strikes out a ton, should be playing RF, actively mopes and alienates himself from his teammates by sitting in the corner of the dugout and pouting. He's a an oft injured baby. 

Edited by TaylorStSox
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...