What can we expect from our #4 starter?

DonkeyKongerko

It seems all the hoopla the past month or so has been about our glaringly obvious lack of a 5th starter. This may be a big hole, but I think we should all take a look at who we have penciled in at the #4 right now (in a very dark pencil as JM would say). He only pitched 64 innings last year as a reliever after losing his starter's role in Anaheim. Being left-handed makes him valuable to any baseball team but he has been a career 2-pitch pitcher and struggles to get right-handers out.

I'm curious what you all honestly expect out of Scott this year given that we don't really know much about him.

The three year splits 2001-2003 from ESPN.com:

vs. Righty: .296 AVG, .366 OBP, .457 SLG

vs. Lefty: .212 AVG, .276 OBP, .282 SLG

I think people will be surprised, Scho pitched a lot better than his ERA indicates. His track record as a starter is somewhat terrible, but i just have a gut feeling he's do for a good season.

See I thought he pitched much worse than he record showed. We kinda hid him away from the rough stuff. Instead of using him as a horse, we faced him with lefties and long relief of games that were out of hand one way or the other.

If its true what they say about Schoweneweiss adding the cutter to his repertoire, then he should be all right.  He should be good for 12-15 wins in his first year as a Sox starter.

Do you have stock in the Scott Schoenweiss Corporation?

If he gets 8-9 wins, I'll be satisfied. Anything over 10, and the Sox can start selling playoff tickets.

Why are you being so negative?

Because based on his history, I think that is a ludicrous comment to make. Sure he may pan out and do a decent job for the Sox but to say you have wanted this guy for the last 3 years does nothing but build up expectations, that his history states aren't likely to be met.

My problem is more with the comment and the expectations it creates than Schoenweis himself.

8-12 5.65 ERA before the carousel of Rauch, Cotts, Wright and whomever else we can burn out is given the chance to pitch in the four or five slot. We didn't have a numebr five last year this year we do not have a four or five. Rememebr the year before when Glover was put in there. How about Sean Lowe and 2000, he was our best starter going into the playoffs. Paul Konerko makes more than our entire rotation, that is an absolute joke. Does Magglio Ordonez make more than our entire pitching core on the 40-man staff? Ah the thought process of the White Sox. Does the manager make the league minumum for a player?????

See I thought he pitched much worse than he record showed.  We kinda hid him away from the rough stuff.  Instead of using him as a horse, we faced him with lefties and long relief of games that were out of hand one way or the other.

Shoney had a .312 OBP and a .640 OPS against him, pretty damn good (even better with the Sox's), plus his K/9 rate increased from 6.75 to 9.35 when he joined the Sox's. So Cooper obviously had a positive affect on him. Judging by those numbers his ERA should have been much lower (most likely a bad outing or two inflated his ERA). If he can match those numers as a starter he could have a season similar to what Buehrle has last year.

I don't expect large win totals from our 4 and 5 guys, but the do need consistently decent starts from them. The Sox record for their starts will determine the success or failure of this season. In other words, can they get us through 6 innings and us still be in the game? If they can get us to our bullpen and us not be down more than a couple of runs, then our bats should be able to get those back for us late in the game.

Pain and misery fill the air

people running everywhere . . .

Colon gone and replaced by ???

We need not one, but two break out guys this year. Mark and E-Lo will combine for the same number of wins. E-Lo goes down, Mark goes up and it washes. Hopefully someone can just match a .500 record of Colon.