Rob Gallas

Dick Allen

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He did have a Beatles night.  I went, it was a blast.  1963 preformed and was excellent.

he also had Beatles things at SoxFest one year; in fact he had very good musical taste except that it seemed to stop with the late 80s. I can't recall (I may be wrong) anything musical that he did that was music from the 90s or as they say, now.

I wish we had a Eminem night... especially when Detroit was in town...

he also had Beatles things at SoxFest one year; in fact he had very good musical taste except that  it seemed to stop with the late 80s.  I can't recall (I may be wrong) anything musical that he did that was music from the 90s or as they say, now.

I wish we had a Eminem night... especially when Detroit was in town...

Twist and Shout preformed at Soxfest two years ago and this year. They are very good. Highly recommended IMHO.

The LINE SHOT promotion in 1998 was one of the most absurd ad campaigns I have ever seen for a Sports Team.

For those who don't recall, it consisted of a series of commercials featuring Albert Belle, Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura and "secret-agent" crime fighters battling the evil Tim Kazurinsky. Bo Jackson played their driver and Jenny McCarthy was "the mysterious" girl.

In one spot, Robin Ventura was kidnapped, tied to a chair wired to explosives.

The villian exclaimed over the phone to Belle, in a bad Euro-trash accent: If Matt Karchner's fastball goes under 90mph...BOOOM!!"

The unintential message:

Come out to the ole ballpark for a night of Guns, Kidnapping and Terrorism!

Big Ad Error on Gallas's part.

I don't mind Dog Day at all. Like one of the people in this thread said, to each their own.

Behind the scenes, the Sox are very involved with the Anti Cruelty Society and also the service dogs for the blind organization, can't come up with the name.

Granted, I am an advocate of doing whatever can be done to help animals, so my view may be biased.

Their intent, as explained to me personally by Gallas a couple years ago, was to highlight the bond between Sox fans and their four legged friends, portray dogs as part of one's family, reach out to animal lovers, make some $$ for animal charities, get a few dogs adopted, and most importantly ... show kids how to properly treat animals.

I'm grateful they are supportive of dogs and animal charities. In fact, I board my dog at the game a lot, at Pet Check, and they treat her like gold.

Seeing all the positive PR Dog Day gets, it's my hunch it's more popular than unpopular.

As for Gallas, anyone in any job for 15 years is likely ready for a change. For his benefit, and for the job's benefit.

The LINE SHOT promotion in 1998 was one of the most absurd ad campaigns I have ever seen for a Sports Team.

For those who don't recall, it consisted of a series of commercials featuring Albert Belle, Frank Thomas and Robin Ventura and "secret-agent" crime fighters battling the evil Tim Kazurinsky. Bo Jackson played their driver and Jenny McCarthy was "the mysterious" girl.

In one spot, Robin Ventura was kidnapped, tied to a chair wired to explosives.

The villian exclaimed over the phone to Belle, in a bad Euro-trash accent: If Matt Karchner's fastball goes under 90mph...BOOOM!!"

The unintential message:

Come out to the ole ballpark for a night of Guns, Kidnapping and Terrorism!

Big Ad Error on Gallas's part.

Well... that wasn't Rob's brainchild. It was the idiot brother of one of those players in the ad that thought that one up.

All 3 players were completely horrified by the outcome but after a boat load of money spent.. and little left in the kitty.. it had to run. They were supposed to run 12 weeks but luckily only ran for 4.

I'm grateful they are supportive of dogs and animal charities. In fact, I board my dog at the game a lot, at Pet Check, and they treat her like gold.

If I recall, a secretary came up with the idea for PetCheck which is a wonderful thing and I have commented on that before - my dogs have been to USCF (including Yankee games!) a lot and never once at Dog Day

I agree with the sentiments of your post. Thanks.

Although one can search through Sox printed material a lot and never find the phone number to call for PetCheck. They never publicise that. I always get the number from my ticket rep.

Ribbie, thank you :headbang :headbang One could go all night thinking of our absurd ad campaigns and I hope we do - contribute them all! I could use the amusing memory rushes!

I'm grateful they are supportive of dogs and animal charities.  In fact, I board my dog at the game a lot, at Pet Check, and they treat her like gold.

Jim... we are going to be at a lot of weekend games this year and I was thinking that it would be a good idea to board Ginger there. Do they have a general area for the dogs to socialize..?

Jim... we are going to be at a lot of weekend games this year and I was thinking that it would be a good idea to board Ginger there. Do they have a general area for the dogs to socialize..?

no, each gets their own kennel run (buillt next to each other, there are 5 or 6) in a very secure area, close to where the players park (board your dog, see Frank's Hummer!).

If your dog goes nuts over fireworks, that is something to think about.

But I love PetCheck. It really is a great, great thing.

CW - The Pet Check # is with the season ticket material but if you're not a season ticket person, it's in the brochure they have available behind home plate which describes all the amenities at the ballpark (that brochure is also available at guest relations in the upper deck).

Steff - no, there's no real place for the dogs to socialize, there are a few kennels in the back of the ballpark, with a foot or so of space between them. They are fairly large kennels so no dog would feel cramped, no matter how large. I bring her own water dish and a blanket so she doesn't have to lay on concrete. She also tailgates with us before the game, then we walk her around the 35th St. side to Pet Check, behind Gate 6 (behind CF). They'll even let you walk down and visit the dog during the game if you wish ... sometimes we do that if there have been a few home runs hit, dogs/fireworks don't mix too well :lolhitting

CW - The Pet Check # is with the season ticket material but if you're not a season ticket person, it's in the brochure they have available behind home plate which describes all the amenities at the ballpark (that brochure is also available at guest relations in the upper deck).

Steff - no, there's no real place for the dogs to socialize, there are a few kennels in the back of the ballpark, with a foot or so of space between them.  They are fairly large kennels so no dog would feel cramped, no matter how large.  I bring her own water dish and a blanket so she doesn't have to lay on concrete.  She also tailgates with us before the game, then we walk her around the 35th St. side to Pet Check, behind Gate 6 (behind CF).  They'll even let you walk down and visit the dog during the game if you wish ... sometimes we do that if there have been a few home runs hit, dogs/fireworks don't mix too well  :lolhitting

I never thought to look in my seasons ticket stuff... :bang

I have looked in the magazine, what is it, Diamond View, oir whatever they sell, and other things, never thought to look there

I still think it should be more accessible because if you don't know about it, you won't know about it.

good media repoire

Or good rapport with the media, either will do :lol:

Just kidding HSCBF, I'm not the spell check police, but I have a buddy who uses that work a lot, and he always, always, always, spells it wrong ... and has for the 30 years I've known him.

One time, he was really sick for about two weeks, and it was just before he was flying out to meet me at spring training in Tucson. So he writes me an email, and he says something like: "yeah, I feel better now, I'm getting my repore back with food, in fact my appetite is back with avenges."

"Repore" = Rapport

"With Avenges" = With A Vengeance

:bang

Steff - no, there's no real place for the dogs to socialize, there are a few kennels in the back of the ballpark, with a foot or so of space between them.  They are fairly large kennels so no dog would feel cramped, no matter how large.  I bring her own water dish and a blanket so she doesn't have to lay on concrete.  She also tailgates with us before the game, then we walk her around the 35th St. side to Pet Check, behind Gate 6 (behind CF).  They'll even let you walk down and visit the dog during the game if you wish ... sometimes we do that if there have been a few home runs hit, dogs/fireworks don't mix too well  :lolhitting

Cool, thanks! I think we're gonna try it out this year.

speaking of ad campaigns. The A's have great ad's. THe two I recall this year are:

1) Before opening day they ran a commerical with Macha, and he was asked who should be the opening day starter. Well each pitcher hudson, zito, mulder started bribing him with money, tickets, and then a hummer. Hudson, who gave him a hummer, THE VEHICLE, at least I think it was him, won the starting job.

2) There new shortstop is covered in white balls and a black jump suit, like player where when developing actions for a video game. Anyway they show Crosby making great plays, and one of the players pass a camera with others watching Crosby making the plays saying the "old your going to be in a video game trick." It was funny.

Sorry for the thread jack. Just thought I would say this is great marketing. In fact since I moved out here I would say Oakland has some of the best Ad campaigns. Even so still no one goes to the park

1)  Before opening day they ran a commerical with Macha, and he was asked who should be the opening day starter.  Well each pitcher hudson, zito, mulder started bribing him with money, tickets, and then a hummer.  Hudson, who gave him a hummer, at least I think it was him, won the starting job.

The fact that I am ROTFL at this has got to mean that I am going to hell... :lol:

speaking of ad campaigns.  The A's have great ad's.  THe two I recall this year are:

1)  Before opening day they ran a commerical with Macha, and he was asked who should be the opening day starter.  Well each pitcher hudson, zito, mulder started bribing him with money, tickets, and then a hummer.  Hudson, who gave him a hummer, THE VEHICLE, at least I think it was him, won the starting job. 

2)  There new shortstop is covered in white balls and a black jump suit, like player where when developing actions for a video game.  Anyway they show Crosby making great plays, and one of the players pass a camera with others watching Crosby making the plays saying the "old your going to be in a video game trick." It was funny.

Sorry for the thread jack.  Just thought I would say this is great marketing.  In fact since I moved out here I would say Oakland has some of the best Ad campaigns.  Even so still no one goes to the park

Another great ad campaign that I saw was the S.F. Giants.

Starts off with a guy in a Dodgers jersey standing next to a Giants fan at a street corner. All of the sudden it starts hailing on the Dodger fan. He starts running around and the hail keeps following him (and only him). After this sequence, "God is a Giants fan" pops up on the screen.

I thought it was funny. Although, I thought God was a Toledo Mudhens fan.

The actual game day promotions are key, but not what most people remember him for.

Everyone sees or hears the tv/radio ads, which have been horrible for years. The group that does the Bulls ads spends a lot of money and they actually make sense.

The actual game day promotions are key, but not what most people remember him for.

Everyone sees or hears the tv/radio ads, which have been horrible for years. The group that does the Bulls ads spends a lot of money and they actually make sense.

Everthing can change in the blink of an eye :lolhitting :lolhitting