Kobe Bryant...

Wha?  I remember thinking that they have the salaries and players to get this done, but never really thinking Kobe wanted to come here.  Wow.  It will be interesting to see if this gets done or not.

On sportscenter today it was said that kobe really like reinsdorf and paxson and really liked the organization and was thinking about coming here but now it's squashed because I guess la won't do a sign and trade.

I heard the same thing, but also heard when the Bulls asked about Kobe, Kobe's people basically laughed at him coming to the Bulls.

The thing is, if Kobe wants money he is going to be able to make a s***load more in LA, NYC, and Chicago. He is going to get a max contract. The difference will be in endorcements, and Chicago will throw s***loads of money at him, unless he gets convicted, which looks more and more like it won't happen.

That being said, I really doubt it will happen, but to steal a phrase... The pieces are in place.

The thing is, if Kobe wants money he is going to be able to make a s***load more in LA, NYC, and Chicago.  He is going to get a max contract.  The difference will be in endorcements, and Chicago will throw s***loads of money at him, unless he gets convicted, which looks more and more like it won't happen.

That being said, I really doubt it will happen, but to steal a phrase... The pieces are in place.

There's no way in hell he gets convicted. I completely agree with you though, he'd get a ton of money here with endorsements, etc. I would love to kobe come here it would be absolutely amazing. 2k4 do you know how much money the bulls have to work with?

There's no way in hell he gets convicted.  I completely agree with you though, he'd get a ton of money here with endorsements, etc.  I would love to kobe come here it would be absolutely amazing.  2k4 do you know how much money the bulls have to work with?

Bulls have no cap room. It would have to be a sign and trade. I imagine they would have to throw together something like Tyson or Eddy/ JCrawford/Hinrich and a draft pick in order make it work financially. They have to put a package of salaries together that are within 15% of each other in order for it to pass the bylaws of NBA salary cap laws.

Bulls have no cap room.  It would have to be a sign and trade.  I imagine they would have to throw together something like Tyson or Eddy/ JCrawford/Hinrich and a draft pick in order make it work financially.  They have to put a package of salaries together that are within 15% of each other in order for it to pass the bylaws of NBA salary cap laws.

That's what I thought. That's also what Jim Gray said that kobe really liked management here but a sign and trade just doesn't seem likely.

Reportedly Kobe wants to be a Bull, but the Lakers are adamant on not doing any type of sign and trade for Kobe.

To me their is only one way this works. Kobe is playing the Clippers off as a serious target to the point where he's gonna have his people leak out something about him signing with the Clips, then the Lakers will get scared they won't get crap for him, and tell him we'll do a sign and trade, in which case maybe Chicago is where he wants to be.

The Bulls would give up a package of at least one of the younguns, I'm guessing they'd want Curry, although I bet the Bulls would try to hold up with it. Of course AD would probably be a part of any deal because he has a large contract which could make the trade work.

Then you'd probably see whatever was suspected of the JC sign and trade into a different deal which would get the bulls some vet pieces.

And hell yes I'd do this deal. I'm assuming the Bulls would be able to keep their younger players. Kobe would like playing with Hinrich (assuming he isn't part of the trade).

Reportedly Kobe wants to be a Bull, but the Lakers are adamant on not doing any type of sign and trade for Kobe.

To me their is only one way this works.  Kobe is playing the Clippers off as a serious target to the point where he's gonna have his people leak out something about him signing with the Clips, then the Lakers will get scared they won't get crap for him, and tell him we'll do a sign and trade, in which case maybe Chicago is where he wants to be.

The Bulls would give up a package of at least one of the younguns, I'm guessing they'd want Curry, although I bet the Bulls would try to hold up with it.  Of course AD would probably be a part of any deal because he has a large contract which could make the trade work. 

Then you'd probably see whatever was suspected of the JC sign and trade into a different deal which would get the bulls some vet pieces. 

And hell yes I'd do this deal. I'm assuming the Bulls would be able to keep their younger players.  Kobe would like playing with Hinrich (assuming he isn't part of the trade).

To get kobe I'd almost be willing to give any player up excluding:kirk, deng, gorden. Just thinking about kobe on the bulls is getting me excited. Well time to go back thinking about rj on the sox.

Isn't he a free agent? Why can't he just say bubye Lakers and sign where he wants..? Not that I want his rapist ass here anyway...  rolleyeyes.gif

95% of teams (including the Bulls) are over the salary cap and can't offer him anykind of money. The biggest thing the Bulls could offer is their midlevel salary cap exception of $4.9 million, and that is only if Scottie Pippen retires.

95% of teams (including the Bulls) are over the salary cap and can't offer him anykind of money.  The biggest thing the Bulls could offer is their midlevel salary cap exception of $4.9 million, and that is only if Scottie Pippen retires.

The Bulls have a mid level of about 5 million and a vet exception of around 1.5 million. They are about to sign a player from Europe for about 3 million per year.

Kobe is going to want a max deal, so what the Bulls have left wouldn't work.

If the Bulls did somehow get Kobe (although it's not gonna happen) that would be so f***in awesome! :headbang I don't know if I'd s*** my pants like Jason ;) , but I'd probably start running around and jumping on the furniture and stuff, and yelling.

Is there such a thing as back-loaded contracts in the NBA? Kobe could sign for 3 million or whatever for 04-05 and once Robinson, Davis and the other scrubs contracts are off the books let his salary inflate. They could avoid losing Hinrich in a sign-and-trade this way.

On Espn today one of the NBA guys said that up until yesterday Chicago was a silent major player, and that Reinsdorf and Paxson had personally met with Kobe last week. He then said Kobe really like the organization, but a sign and trade does not seem likely.

I agree with Chisoxfn, that the Bulls should be turning up the heat on the Lakers, saying if they dont sign and trade he might go to the Clippers and theyll get nothing in return. The Bulls could offer Jamal Crawford, Tyson Chandler or Eddie Curry, etc, and give the Lakers some more depth for a team that could be dreadful next year if Kobe choses the Clippers.

If the Bulls want Kobe at this point, and he truely wants to come here, they could have him.

SB

It's funny how you can hate a guy one minute, then he joins your team or there's rumors of him joining your team and all of a sudden you love the guy. I should go dig up that old nba finals thread. I don't think there was one positive thing said about Kobe. However, I want no part of Kobe Bryant. There's some guys you would just rather lose without then possibly win with. He's one of the most selfish players i've ever seen. Gets a 9 time world champion coach fired, the most dominant player of this era traded. Why? So he can have his OWN team. Please, ask T-mac, AI, Pierce, Or Vince carter what it's like to be THE man. Not everybody can be Michael Jordan. And Kobe is no exception.

I'm all for Bryant.

Only, and only if he didn't rape that woman. Rapists shouldn't be offered massive contracts and treated like gods. They should be thrown into jail and feasted on by Bubba & Co.

I remember hearing on some sports show that a number of legal experts thought that there certainly is enough evidence to convict Kobe. However, the prosecution is so incompetent that it is very unlikely he will be convicted.

The bottom line:

Did he rape that woman? Probably.

Will he be a convicted rapist? Probably not.

I remember hearing on some sports show that a number of legal experts thought that there certainly is enough evidence to convict Kobe.  However, the prosecution is so incompetent that it is very unlikely he will be convicted.

The bottom line:

Did he rape that woman?  Probably.

Will he be a convicted rapist?  Probably not.

Sad, isn't it.