music

hi8is

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 06:21 AM)
The Cars :headbang.... I am excited for no other reason than a group I had actually heard of got mentioned here!

But we're talking about "The NEW Cars". Go back to the 80's, old man.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Apr 24, 2006 -> 11:55 PM)
I hate the name though. Why not just the SUVs? Or Luxury Sedans? The New Cars? Awful.

In other news, I have determined my favorite moment in British 90s hard rock. 4st7lb by Manic Street Preachers. Its just so raw and painful and beautiful. It's how I felt in love with the band and definitely their finest moment of turning away from the Arena/CockRock hybrid that they had flirted with in their first two albums. There were definite hints of greatness before Theholybible came out - mostly "La Tristessa Durera (Scream to a Sigh)" and their cover of Suicide Is Painless. But 4st7lb is pure genius.

4REAL.

Everybody loves the smell.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
definitely... have you heard nathan fake's album?

I did cop it, yes. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. Thought the non-dance tracks (most of them) were a bit formulaic, and not necessarily an original formula--sounded a bit like M83 to me. I'm sure the remix joint is good though.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 06:46 PM)
I did cop it, yes.  I was a bit disappointed to be honest.  Thought the non-dance tracks (most of them) were a bit formulaic, and not necessarily an original formula--sounded a bit like M83 to me.  I'm sure the remix joint is good though.

kinda sucks that any lighter upbeat sounding electronic is gonna be compared to M83 while any darker, grainier electronic is gonna be compared to Boards of Canada but i see what you are saying. I think he did a damn good job, i mean isn't this his debut? Plus i think that record label is an up and comer...

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 26, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
kinda sucks that any lighter upbeat sounding electronic is gonna be compared to M83 while any darker, grainier electronic is gonna be compared to Boards of Canada but i see what you are saying. I think he did a damn good job, i mean isn't this his debut? Plus i think that record label is an up and comer...

You insult me. I meant the specific sounds were similar to e.g. "Run Into Flowers", specifically the c c c c c c c a a a a a a b b b b type of synth intros, and then the way halfway into the track it kinda goes "balls out" with some crashing drums. I know enough IDM to be a little more specific with my comparisons.

I just liked NF's singles better than the album. FWIW I've been following Border Community since their first release and have a pic of James Holden as my pic on last.fm. Speaking of which I'm waiting until I have a bit of cash to put in an order with React Music--his latest double mix cd and Miss Kittin's.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 02:03 AM)
You insult me.  I meant the specific sounds were similar to e.g. "Run Into Flowers", specifically the c c c c c c c a a a a a a b b b b type of synth intros, and then the way halfway into the track it kinda goes "balls out" with some crashing drums.  I know enough IDM to be a little more specific with my comparisons.

I just liked NF's singles better than the album.  FWIW I've been following Border Community since their first release and have a pic of James Holden as my pic on last.fm.  Speaking of which I'm waiting until I have a bit of cash to put in an order with React Music--his latest double mix cd and Miss Kittin's.

I say this cause it was the 3rd M83 comparison i've heard, but i guess i could see it for Run into flowers, but he doesn't have those trudging synths like gonzales uses. My friend interns at warp which is pretty cool, i got advances of broadcast and campfire headphase last year.

and secondly...haven't heard any news about this...I'm trying to get some of the albums from Berlins minimal techno...but i'm having trouble becaue my local indie rec store is having trouble ordering them and oink doesn't have that many of them...

but cool, i'm still feeling around through electronic stuff but its cool to know someone with more knowledge...keep me informed on good stuff.

I can't believe this thread is still going after almost 2 years....

Anyway I've been listening to a lot of Alkaline Trio, and the Head Automatica "Pop Rocks" EP (Can't wait for "Popaganda" to come out)

QUOTE(Cali @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 02:48 AM)

Anyway I've been listening to a lot of Alkaline Trio, and the Head Automatica "Pop Rocks" EP (Can't wait for "Popaganda" to come out)

I just dumped all my Alk3 discs onto the computer and I'd forgotten how much I enjoy them. "Maybe I'll Catch Fire" is one SOLID disc - I like every song on that record!

All three shows at the Metro next week are sold out.

I've been listening to a bit of Wolfmother lately. Not a bad band by any stretch of means.

Cali got me interested in the Alkaline Trio quite a while back as well, and I've been listening to quite a lot of their stuff as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 07:29 AM)
I've been listening to a bit of Wolfmother lately. Not a bad band by any stretch of means.

Cali got me interested in the Alkaline Trio quite a while back as well, and I've been listening to quite a lot of their stuff as well.

Wolfmother are friggin' great! What a killer band!

I've never heard Alkaline Trio. I think Critic may have sent them to me, but I always thought that they were Emo/Modern Pop Punk. No?

QUOTE(Cali @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 03:48 AM)

I can't believe that I still haven't heard of any of these groups, even after two years :D

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 09:35 AM)
Wolfmother are friggin' great! What a killer band!

I've never heard Alkaline Trio. I think Critic may have sent them to me, but I always thought that they were Emo/Modern Pop Punk. No?

You're not missing much much KG. It's not your flavor.

QUOTE(BoKnows @ Apr 27, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
If you want some great new albums go with the following:

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones

Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics

Built to Spill - You in Reverse

hmmmm, all three bands featured in this months Spin magazine.....interesting.