Is re-signing Jose really that bad of an Idea?

JDsDirtySox

As I sit here watching the game and thinking about this coming offseason and free agency, I can't help but ask myself...

Is re-signing Jose Valentin at a reduced price really that bad of an idea?

Sure we will have Juan Uribe, and even Wilson Valdez to possibly take their shot at short, but many teams besides us are gonna be in the market for a SS.

Off the top of my head..

Boston, St. Louis, Chicago(N), Seattle, Cincy, Colorado, and even Cleveland will all have openings to fill at SS. Cleveland will go with their guy Perralta in AAA, but I think everyone else will be at work in Free Agecy.

I don't wanna get stuck with Royce Clayton again.

So how about it... Re-sign Jose or Take your chances with Uribe or FA?

The SS market is stocked this year, with Renteria, Nomar, Cabrera and Vizquel. I'd think we'd able to sign sum1 to fill our need at SS, but if we can't and worse comes to worse, we use Uribe and Valdez. Uribe is streaky, but he's worth persisting with.

I would much rather go after Omar Visquel, Orlando Cabrera, or even play Uribe at SS all year long than have Valentin getting tons of at bats. I wouldn't mind re-signing Valentin for something around a mill a year to be a pinch hitter/utility type player. They always mention he's a good guy to have in the clubhouse. But put Cabrera or Visquel with Uribe as the combination and we are in great shape.

Is re-signing Jose really that bad of an Idea?

Yes.

Is re-signing Jose Valentin at a reduced price really that bad of an idea?

No it isn't but that's if we don't get a specific FA in the market.

If the sox are looking for a veteran who can drive in runs, hit for average, and can show the pop from time to time, I would like us to go after Visquel (I heard an article say were the leading canidate to get him) or even Cabrera (doubt that'll happen though.)

Given the choice between Uribe and Valentin, give me Jose.  And actually I am on the Omar bandwagon between the 3 of them.  The guy bunts, he moves runners over, he works pitchers, he steals bases.  He would be a huge asset as a #2 hitter which we haven't had forever.

Jose would want 3 to $4 mill to resign with us though. I believe Uribe would make about $500-750,000 next season, correct me if I'm wrong. I'd rather keep Uribe, and use the money we'd save on resigning Jose towards some bullpen help.

Juan Uribe is not a quality baseball player.

Jose has been good enough.

I wouldn't be against upgrading, but not with Uribe.

Keep Uribe as a backup.

He does have 18 hrs.

p.s. does anybody else think Uribe swings too hard

sometimes?

Nice RBI single tonight though.

I would much rather go after Omar Visquel, Orlando Cabrera, or even play Uribe at SS all year long than have Valentin getting tons of at bats. I wouldn't mind re-signing Valentin for something around a mill a year to be a pinch hitter/utility type player. They always mention he's a good guy to have in the clubhouse. But put Cabrera or Visquel with Uribe as the combination and we are in great shape.

Agreed.

The way I see things shaking out:

Renteria stays in St. Louis

Nomar stays in Chicago/or goes to the West Coast

Cabrera stays in Boston

Vizquel goes to Seattle

(His original team. Originally had him in a trade for Carlos Guillen during the offseason, but Vizquel failed a physical and now Guillen is Mr. Tiger.

How about Craig Counsell coming in to back up Uribe?

The way I see things shaking out:

Renteria stays in St. Louis

Nomar stays in Chicago/or goes to the West Coast

Cabrera stays in Boston

Vizquel goes to Seattle

(His original team.  Originally had him in a trade for Carlos Guillen during the offseason, but Vizquel failed a physical and now Guillen is Mr. Tiger.

How about Craig Counsell coming in to back up Uribe?

Counsell wouldn't be a bad idea at all. He could back up at 2B, SS and 3B. Definitely an excellent bench player to have.

Well stone hands booted another game ending bouncer to short to allow the tieing man to come to the plate with 2 outs.

I dont care if he hits a billion home runs, his 225 BA and his constant swinging for the fences and his piss poor defense needs to find another home.

I can't imagine that fans of other teams think Jose is nearly as s***ty as most Sox fans seem to think he is. An OPS of .790, 5 straight years of 25+ dongs, a solid glove, a moustache, a clubhouse leader.... many of the teams looking for a SS this offseason would probably be happy to have Hose fall in their laps at 2.5 mil.

KW should schnag a high OBP, contact hitting right fielder this offseason and keep Jose at short. Then trade Crede and put Juan at 3rd.

I can't imagine that fans of other teams think Jose is nearly as s***ty as most Sox fans seem to think he is.  An OPS of .790, 5 straight years of 25+ dongs, a solid glove, a moustache, a clubhouse leader.... many of the teams looking for a SS this offseason would probably be happy to have Hose fall in their laps at 2.5 mil. 

KW should schnag a high OBP, contact hitting right fielder this offseason and keep Jose at short.  Then trade Crede and put Juan at 3rd.

Who cares again how many home runs our 225 ba hitting shortstop hits. If he hit the 25 home runs and say shortened his swing up with men on 2nd and 3rd with no outs like tonight to be a team player. Then keep him. But no, he is almost losing his lunch trying to park every pitch over the fence. We need a base hit and he is going for mars.

Everyone thinks we need to change the team up because this formula doesnt work. But when you start to take some of these guys from the team everyone states well player A hits this many home runs. Watch the entire season and watch how many times mr 25 home runs failed to come through with men on because he either K'd or poped up trying to get a basehit late in a game with a home runs swing. How many times did he K 7 times in a row. How many times did he drop a ball to lose a game or kick one. For the few times he did hit a bit home run, there are other times were his electric glove, baserunning ability, or clutch contact lost us the game.

I listen to the Sox flagship loyally about 6 hours a day (I have a radio in my office at work - yeah!), and from what I keep hearing in discussions, Valdez (the kid we got in exchange for Billy Krotch) will be on the team next year.

I doubt very seriously that he will be a starter, but it sounds like the Sox are looking to spend very little money on anything except another starting pitcher, a couple of relievers, and 1, possibly 2 more position players. In other words, expect the bench to be full of guys who make the minimum salary. (Gload, Valdez, Burke, Dransfeldt, etc).

From what I keep hearing being bantied about, Kenny Williams will have 20-25 million to work with, so he has to spend it wisely. I also expect Kenny to make some trades as well.

By the way, whenever I hear a "hot rumor," or find out some breaking information, I'll get it to you guys as fast as I can. I have a computer at work, at home, and at graduate school.