2004 College Football Trash Talk Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Indiana Hoosiers just knocked off #24 Oregon. I guess Illinois is the only sucky team left in the Big Ten. :lol:

Uh, no. IU still sucks and no one here at the campus really gives a shi about the football team. They'll start being pathetic soon enough.

IU!!!!!!!!!

Holy s*** that was fun!  My buddies and I went into some bar to watch the game; the place was PACKED.  Damn, we're looking a hell of a lot better this year.  We're 2-0, and we go into Kentucky next Saturday.

CRIMSON CREW!!

hail crimson varsity....Indiana's on the march today.... :)

GreasyWheels nice sig pic. Awesome game on Saturday. 2 games and the Hoosiers still got a shot at the National Championship. Go Hoosiers. Skin those damn cats.

Ha thanks. I was easily inspired. We watched the game at Yogi's on 10th and Indiana, the place was absolutely PACKED. It was a great time; we're going back there to watch the Kentucky game.

I'm not expecting National Championship by any means. This is fun though. It could be the start of some quality Hoosier teams though. You have to start somewhere.

A nice replacement for Akil Grant.

Linkage

September 13, 2004

Northern Illinois Strong Safety Ray Smith Steps In, Wins MAC Defensive Player of the Week

DeKALB, IL --- Six games ago, Northern Illinois University’s Ray Smith stepped in for ex-teammate Akil Grant in the Huskie secondary. In the duration, the junior strong safety hasn’t missed a beat or, to be honest, very many tackles.

During that same six-contest stretch, Smith (Crown Point, IN / St. John Lake Central) has been extremely productive with 70 stops and five Mid-American Conference West Division Defensive Player of the Week nominations.

So, guess who finally made MAC Player of the Week?

Smith earned Northern Illinois’ first Mid-Am weekly football award of the 2004 season. The announcement was made by league commissioner Rick Chryst Monday (September 13) from the MAC office in Cleveland, OH.

“Ray is very deserving of such an award,” said ninth-year Huskie head coach Joe Novak. “He’s played two great games so far this season. We’re really pleased with his progress. He has been the glue, the quarterback of our secondary. And that’s extremely important on our defense.”

The 6-foot-2, 185-pound Smith recorded a team-high 14 tackles (11 solo) and contributed a pass deflection in 69 snaps in last week’s 23-22 triumph against in-state rival Southern Illinois University. No. 48 was instrumental in helping limit SIU tailback Brandon Jacobs---a 6-foot-4, 260-pound transfer from Auburn University---to only 41 yards on 13 carries.

“Ray played well. He has the size and the speed to make those type of plays,” Novak said. “You know, he’s extremely intelligent. He studies film all the time. He’s as smart of a defensive back as I’ve been around. Last year, when Akil Grant got hurt, he stepped right in and did a great job. As you know, Akil was extremely productive and Ray has picked up the slack.”

To date in 2004, Smith leads Northern Illinois in overall tackles (31), solo stops (24), and fumble-cause hits (2). In the Huskie season-opener at the University of Maryland, he recorded a career-best 17 hits. Last year, he subbed for Grant in NIU’s final four contests and notched nine tackles vs. Ball State University,14 vs. the University at Buffalo, 13 vs. the University of Toledo, and 13 more vs. Eastern Michigan University.

Despite missing four games due to a left knee strain, Grant finished the 2003 season with 93 total tackles and eventually earned a free agent tryout with the National Football League Tennessee Titans this summer.

This week’s other Mid-Am Player of the Week award-winners included Central Michigan University runningback Jerry Seymour (West Offense), Bowling Green State University returner Charles Sharon (West Special Teams), Miami (OH) University quarterback Josh Betts (East Offense), Marshall University defensive end Jonathan Goddard (East Defense), and University of Akron returner Brett Briggs (East Special Teams).

haha, K-state got absolutely pummeled by Fresno STATE.  thank god we can put all that s*** to bed about K-State being a good team.

ahhh hahahahaha

Dont get me started on your FSU b**** ass chokers...

Fresno State wasnt some walk in the park, all that means is K State needs to regroup... They lost to Marshall last year, and look how they ended up...

The only thing going to bed around here is FSU's chances at a conf. title and a BCS bowl... Bye Bye FSU!