Troy Percival

DBAHO

Looks like the Angels are leaning towards not resigning him. He's a power closer, and although he hasn't had the best couple of years, he's certainly a guy worth looking at. Also FWIW Scott Dunn who I think was involved in the Shoe deal was called up by the Angels today.

If the old Angels core evaporates, Percival likely would be the first to go. The club has not initiated talks on a contract extension with their 35-year-old all-time saves leader, and he said this offseason will be like any other, except "I'll be fielding a lot more phone calls" on his frequent winter forays to the Colorado River.

Getting it Dunn: Scott Dunn, who lasted until the final round of cuts during spring training, received a simple message from the coaching staff when he packed for Triple-A Salt Lake.

"Go throw strikes," Dunn said the coaching staff told him. "There were times I didn't do that at all."

So Dunn went to Salt Lake, posted a 10-4 record and a 3.21 ERA and walked 56 in 89 innings. That's not a great ratio, but it was good enough to earn his first trip to the major leagues Wednesday, when he joined the Angels at Fenway Park. Dunn's brother attends MIT, so he and his mother were in attendance.

Dunn, 26, made six starts at Salt Lake, which he and Scioscia credited for helping him iron out command issues. His fastball can reach 95 mph, to go with a curveball and changeup, and he could figure in their bullpen plans in coming seasons.

"It helped him to use all his pitches, so that a 2-0 count won't put you in a hole, as it might in a relief situation. He did very well as a starter," Scioscia said.

Put me in the "please God no" category. Although Percival is a great competitor (and thus very attractive to KW), he has been about the 4th best reliever in the Anaheim bullpen for the last 3 years. Often injured and aging, he's not worth more than a small commitment. $3 million/year? Yes. Foulke money? No.

I've had Percival on my fantasy team for the last couple of years...and i've closely watched his slow decline. I think it was early May he announced that this was going to be his last year. he admitted he couldn't pitch like he used to. I highly hope the Sox have more options for a closer in '05 than trying to talk a guy out of retirement.

juddling