Phil Rogers: Rangers might ask for Garland

Mr. Showtime

Milton may pitch better next year, but this year he has not been good. He's gotten wins, but his numbers are :puke

Does anyone think someone like Carl Crawford would be on the trade block? I'd love to pick up Crawford in a trade, Soriano in that deal, and then Jacque Jones via free agency. Talk about revamping an offense with speed.

Don't ask me how the Sox would get Crawford though, but I'd love an OF of Jones/Crawford/Rowand with Lee getting dealt for a SP, the Sox signing a SP, and you have Uribe play ss with Willie coming off the bench or being dealt.

Carl Crawford

Alfonso Soriano

Frank Thomas

Paul Konerko

Jacque Jones

Aaron Rowand

Juan Uribe

Ben Davis

Joe Crede

You could change that lineup a few ways, but its got a boatload more speed with Crawford, Soriano, Jones, Rowand, Uribe all with good speed..some with great speed.

Thats just a far out idea I came up with.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milton may pitch better next year, but this year he has not been good.  He's gotten wins, but his numbers are :puke

Does anyone think someone like Carl Crawford would be on the trade block?  I'd love to pick up Crawford in a trade, Soriano in that deal, and then Jacque Jones via free agency.  Talk about revamping an offense with speed. 

Don't ask me how the Sox would get Crawford though, but I'd love an OF of Jones/Crawford/Rowand with Lee getting dealt for a SP, the Sox signing a SP, and you have Uribe play ss with Willie coming off the bench or being dealt. 

Carl Crawford

Alfonso Soriano

Frank Thomas

Paul Konerko

Jacque Jones

Aaron Rowand

Juan Uribe

Ben Davis

Joe Crede

You could change that lineup a few ways, but its got a boatload more speed with Crawford, Soriano, Jones, Rowand, Uribe all with good speed..some with great speed.

Thats just a far out idea I came up with.

I have heard that huff will be traded before anyone because he is the oldest (only 27} and will bring back the most talent in a trade. I would like huff much more than drew because for one he will be cheaper and can play more positions. He plays 1B: 25, 3B: 78, LF: 6, RF: 1. An outfield of crawford, baldelli, and gathright will be ridiculous.

Does anyone think someone like Carl Crawford would be on the trade block?  I'd love to pick up Crawford in a trade, Soriano in that deal, and then Jacque Jones via free agency.  Talk about revamping an offense with speed. 

Not likely, but TB might want more power from LF. Baldelli and Crawford are very similar players, low SLG, speed guys. Upton has struggled at SS, and could be moved to a corner OF spot, as DH is unlikely w/ his speed. If TB could get a lot for him [prob. pitching], Crawford could be moved, esp. if they can't sign him to a long term deal.

If we can get AUbrey Huff, DO IT.

I'm a huge supporter of his, and he can play tons of positions. We could stick him at 3rd base and get rid of Joe Crede. He's also a lefty. Our lineup would be very dangerous if Huff was added.

What would be ideal is trade for huff and stick him at third then sign catalanotto to play right.

Tampa Bay and Uncle Lou are in search of a power hitter. Pinella wants a Right Handed Power Hitter to go with Huff. Also I have read several places that Baldelli was being shopped because of the youth Tampa Bay has in the OF (Crawford, Baldelli, Gathwright, D. Young, etc... and Upton could end up out there too). I think a strong possibility could be a Konerko for Baldelli deal.

While I too would love to have Crawford... I think our chances of getting Baldelli are better.

As far as the Garland for Soriano talks go, I'd love to have Soriano on our team, but I think it would cost us Garland, Harris and a player like Spidale.

No f***ing way the Rangers are that stupid.... the only thing Jon Garland has proved in his mlb career... is that he's a total headcase and doesn't have the ability to pitch outta trouble when need be.

Soriano is prolly the best 2b in the league.... Jon Garland isnt in the top 100 pitchers this year.

Coming from his biggest fan/critic... I just dont think Garland and soriano can be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to value.

No f***ing way the Rangers are that stupid.... the only thing Jon Garland has proved in his mlb career... is that he's a total headcase and doesn't have the ability to pitch outta trouble when need be.

Soriano is prolly the best 2b in the league.... Jon Garland isnt in the top 100 pitchers this year.

Coming from his biggest fan/critic... I just dont think Garland and soriano can be mentioned in the same sentence when it comes to value.

:notworthy

Soriano can't field and he has no plate discipline.  If that's an Ozzie player, we need a new manager.

Oh, and he's also as expensive as Ray Durham, a far superior player who Williams couldn't wait to give away, is.

Hey everyone, i'm new to the board. :)

anyway..

I wouldnt want Soriano, he Ks way too much. Sox need more contact hitters.

Garland has the stuff to be a great pitcher.. he just needs to work on his mentality. I say we atleast give him one more year before considering trading him yet.

Believe it or not, Soriano's performance this year has been roughly akin to that of Uribe...about the same BA/OBP/SLG. He wouldn't make the team better.

I don't see giving up pitching for him.

Now, Aubrey Huff is a different story if he really still can play third base. He gets on base and hits for power. He'd be a huge upgrade over Crede.

Please don't get me started on Crawford and his inability to steal first base....

Believe it or not, Soriano's performance this year has been roughly akin to that of Uribe...about the same BA/OBP/SLG.  He wouldn't make the team better.

I don't see giving up pitching for him.

Now, Aubrey Huff is a different story if he really still can play third base.  He gets on base and hits for power.  He'd be a huge upgrade over Crede.

Please don't get me started on Crawford and his inability to steal first base....

Soriano has had comparable numbers to Uribe this year, no doubt about it. But you also have to remember that in both 2002 and 2003 he hit in the .290-.300 range and he hit right around 40 homers and stole right around 35-40 bags. The strangest thing is that his numbers have suffered this year, and he is in a better hitter's park. Methinks he feasted on the crappy teams of the AL East(Baltimore, Tampa Bay, and even Toronto), and he used those short porches in both LF and RF in Yankee Stadium to his advantage. That also makes me think that he could be a perfect player for our team...a guy who beats up on mediocre pitching? Hell yes, bring him on.

If we can get him for Garland, who has had 3 very mediocre years and has shown no signs of improvement, you do it in a friggin second, even if you would have to give up Harris and say Spidale.

I like Huff a lot...he seems to be a good LH power threat...usually good for 30-35 homers or so and around 100-110 RBIs...I'd take it.

However, I do not understand why you do not like Crawford. He is not like Willie Harris of the past 2 years(not including this year)...he stole 55 bases last year with an OBP of .309, and has already stolen 50 bases this year with a .329 OBP, and his power has increased this year too. Crawford is coming along very nicely, and if we could get him, it would be a very good thing.

Hey everyone, i'm new to the board.  :)

anyway..

I wouldnt want Soriano, he Ks way too much. Sox need more contact hitters.

Garland has the stuff to be a great pitcher.. he just needs to work on his mentality. I say we atleast give him one more year before considering trading him yet.

welcome!!!!!!! :snr

now for soriano, no way and can we say attidude problem???

Sox must take chances on talented underachievers, or they’ll never succeed on a mid-market payroll. That was the reasoning behind getting Contreras, Uribe, Marte, Loaiza or even Garcia (his 2002-2003 weren’t all that hot and his splits away from Safeco – humbling and Sox still feel they can turn him into the best pitcher in AL).

Soriano’s upside is what Adrien Beltre is doing this year. But with speed. Big-time talent. His downside? What he’s doing with Texas this year. Garland? A 5th starter who’ll be looking for 4M in arbitration. Mark Mulder is making 4.3M.

Sox will still need to go after Pierre since Rowand is a #2 imo. Sox will still need to go after Odalis Perez/Matt Clement to beef up the top of the rotation and another for the #5 spot if Diaz doesn’t step up in September, WB and ST. Then go after either Beltre or Drew as Magglio’s replacement in the #4 spot. And an arm for the pen. Getting Soriano changes none of that – except now Sox could trade Konerko with a clean conscience that his run production will not be missed.

CF Pierre

RF Rowand

1B Thomas

3B Beltre

LF Lee

2B Soriano

DH Everett

SS Uribe

C Davis/Burke

Willie is a pinch-hitter, runner and defensive sub. Crede is part of Pierre trade. Works out just fine on paper. Now all JR has to do is sign off on that 80M payroll and it becomes a reality. ;)

Sox must take chances on talented underachievers, or they’ll never succeed on a mid-market payroll. That was the reasoning behind getting Contreras, Uribe, Marte, Loaiza or even Garcia (his 2002-2003 weren’t all that hot and his splits away from Safeco – humbling and Sox still feel they can turn him into the best pitcher in AL).

Soriano’s upside is what Adrien Beltre is doing this year.  But with speed.  Big-time talent.  His downside? What he’s doing with Texas this year.  Garland?  A 5th starter who’ll be looking for 4M in arbitration. Mark Mulder is making 4.3M.   

Sox will still need to go after Pierre since Rowand is a #2 imo. Sox will still need to go after Odalis Perez/Matt Clement to beef up the top of the rotation and another for the #5 spot if Diaz doesn’t step up in September, WB and ST.    Then go after either Beltre or Drew as Magglio’s replacement in the #4 spot. And an arm for the pen.    Getting Soriano changes none of that – except now Sox could trade Konerko with a clean conscience that his run production will not be missed.     

CF Pierre

RF Rowand

1B Thomas

3B Beltre

LF Lee

2B Soriano

DH Everett

SS Uribe

C Davis/Burke

Willie is a pinch-hitter, runner and defensive sub. Crede is part of Pierre trade. Works out just fine on paper. Now all JR has to do is sign off on that 80M payroll and it becomes a reality. ;)

wow nice post

welcome to the board. :snr

wow nice post

welcome to the board.  :snr

Not anymore. :lolhitting

Dumb bastard just doesn't give up. For someone with a tremendous knowledge of baseball Brando continues to expose himself as an idiot.. This has to be the 6th alias named banned from this guy.

Here's a suggestion comrade: Find another f***ing site to post. All you had to do was honor your suspension last month and everything would have been fine. Instead you decided to flaunt rules, slap the administrators in the face, and create numerous covert identities.

If it were up to me, only way I would allow him to post again is if he publically apologized to the entire Soxtalk community. That way his dignity is hurt and any time he acts like a moron the thread could be bumped.

Soriano doesn't come anywhere near solving our problem of having too many power hitters, and not enough contact hitters. Plus, we'll have another question mark going into the season as far as the fifth starters' spot is concerned - which has been, essentially, the spot that has cost us the division the past four years...

I guess if Diaz steps up and shows he can be a fifth starter, I'd do it. But - I don't see Soriano as a leadoff hitter. He has a career .322 OBP... If he's our leadoff man, we're going to be in a lot of trouble... Plus he's pretty poor defensively.