Konerko wonders if he fits into Sox's plans

greasywheels121

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Konerko wonders if he fits into Sox's plans

By Dave van Dyck

Special to the Tribune

The statistical team leader and the unspoken spiritual leader with Magglio Ordonez and Frank Thomas injured, Paul Konerko nonetheless is not sure he fits into the White Sox's future.

It is no secret that general manager Ken Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen have their eyes on a sleeker, swifter, less powerful model for next season. And that leaves the plodding, powerful Konerko dangling at the end of a question mark if the Sox need trade bait.

"I think they're definitely going to reshape or retool the team a different way, and that could mean someone like myself [will go]," he said. "I know what they want to go with, and that's not the way I am.

"But I also know if you want to have a successful team, you have to have guys who can hit the ball out of the ballpark. You have to balance it right. It has been proven to me that's the way to go about it, [with] pitching, defense and speed. Look at the Marlins and Twins."

The Marlins won the World Series last season and the Twins are about to win their fourth straight Central Division title, while the Sox struggle again with a team built around power and little else.

"You need [power]," Konerko said. "It's just a question of who it's going to be. We have a couple of options: Myself, Frank, Carlos [Lee] and I don't know what [Ordonez's] situation is.

"There's no question there's going be one or two of us that probably go to reshape the team. And I don't fault them for that because we had the [power] nucleus and failed. If I was running the team, I'd be thinking the same thing. If I'm going to lose next year, I'm not going to lose the same way."

Konerko has no bitterness and even sees some hope for a remodeled team.

"With the pitching we have at the top of the rotation," he said, "it's a good start because pitching means everything. Rebuilding could mean a better thing. Just because we're going with younger guys, that's not always a bad thing. Younger guys can be hungry."

Konerko can be fairly secure since he has another year on his contract, plus he has had a pretty decent year.  Last year he was untradable.  Now he isn't.

I dont want to see Konerko go. He's having a monster season so far and it's only gonna get better next year when he's playing for a new contract. I think he's certainly worth the cash he's being paid and I want him to stay.

Add speed in RF and let go of Valentin. Also look too add a bat at 3B. Koskie anyone?

A lineup of:

1. Harris

2. Rowand

3. Thomas

4. Lee

5. Konerko

6. Koskie

7. Davis

8. Uribe

And the right fielder is unknown, but toss him on the top or bottom.

That line-up keeps a lot of power but also has speed and versatility. The key would simply be Willie Harris.

I don't want to see either Paul or Carlos to go. Jose needs to go though. Maggs will probably be gone also.

With Maggs, Jose and Koch's contracts all coming off the books that's about $20 million. Loaiza and Contreras swapping places it almost a wash financially, with Contreras earning bout an extra million or 2 over the next 2 to 3 years. We sign a SS who can get on base conisistently like Omar Vizquel to replace Jose, while we use the rest of the money to sign a front - line starter and closer.

If we had to trade one of Lee or Konerko, I'd trade Carlos. Try and get a J.D Drew type of deal for him, and fill multiple holes in this lineup. And then we can sign a Frank Catalanotto to replace Lee in LF.

If we had to trade one of Lee or Konerko, I'd trade Carlos. Try and get a J.D Drew type of deal for him, and fill multiple holes in this lineup. And then we can sign a Frank Catalanotto to replace Lee in LF.

Agreed, even though I doubt we get Drew. I wouldn't mind Jacque Jones coming here. Solid glove, decent average, shows the speed and doesn't have to face his good friend Buehrle anymore.. :lol:

The Cat is a no brainer, Koskie and Omar I would love to see.

We'll have about 2 or 3 guys that can hit in the #2 (Rowand, Catalanotto, Visquel) so I'm sure we can put Rowand in mostly versus lefties than righties. Get that lefty-righty balence as well. Hell, I'll throw a line-up out here even though I'm sure it might not be the right line-up..

Visquel-SS

Rowand-CF

Thomas-DH

Jones-LF

Catalanotto-RF

Konerko-1B

Koskie-3B

Harris-2B

Davis/Burke-C

I put Kong lower to seperate te lefties in the bottom part of that line-up, but that's if the sox want to go in another direction which I'm sure they'll trade Kong and Lee for pitching and some slap/contact hitters.

Agreed, even though I doubt we get Drew.

I wasn't saying we would get J.D Drew, no way we will. When he was traded from the Cardinals to the Braves however, they got Jason Marquis, Ray King and Adam Waniwright for him, we should try and get that type of a deal for Carlos Lee.

Jackass Jones would be a pretty nice, you would get 20 homers and 80 RBI's consistently from him, and I'd love Koskie or Vizquel here as well.

The Marlins won the World Series last season and the Twins are about to win their fourth straight Central Division title

I'm sorry, but has history been rewritten? Didn't the Indians win the central division in '01?

2001 - Indians

2002 - Twins

2003 - Twins

f***ing idiots.

I am definitely in the minority here, but I would keep Valentin (not as a starter, as a platoon guy).

We could (should) trade PK for a #2-#3 quality starter, (Or throw in a prospect or 2 and trade him for Randy Johnson!) AND sign one (Clement, Pavano, Perez, Radke?).

Get a REAL 3B...Crede sucks, and he's had enough chances. (Beltre? Glaus?)

Get a real Catcher..."Big Ben" is a backup, no more no less! (Metheny?)

Release anyone on our team named "Alomar"!

Give the "Wilson" kid a shot at SS...if he's as slick a fielder as everyone says, we can use him...bat him 9th.

Sign Sexson.

I would sign Mags to a $6-7 million cotract that is heavily incentive-laden, based on games played, ABs, and performance. He deserves a shot; he's earned it.

Trade Garland for Soriano, if possible.

Batting order...Rowand CF

Soriano 2B

Mags RF

Thomas DH

Beltre or Glaus 3B

Lee LF

Sexson 1B

Metheny C

Wilson SS

Not too bad...an our pitching staff, 1-5 would be stellar as well.

Johnson

Buehrle

Pavano

Garcia

Contreras

I wanna be the GM!!!

I am definitely in the minority here, but I would keep Valentin (not as a starter, as a platoon guy).

We could (should) trade PK for a #2-#3 quality starter, (Or throw in a prospect or 2 and trade him for Randy Johnson!) AND sign one (Clement, Pavano, Perez, Radke?).

Give the "Wilson" kid a shot at SS...if he's as slick a fielder as everyone says, we can use him...bat him 9th.

Sign Sexson.

I would sign Mags to a $6-7 million cotract that is heavily incentive-laden, based on games played, ABs, and performance. He deserves a shot; he's earned it.

Batting order...Rowand                CF

Soriano                2B

Mags                    RF

Thomas                DH

Beltre or Glaus      3B

Lee                    LF

Sexson              1B

Metheny                C

Wilson                SS

Johnson

Buehrle

Pavano

Garcia

Contreras

I wanna be the GM!!!

you have so many holes in your theory.

randy johnson will need to sign off on the trade, do you think he will?

arz still wants a #1 cat in any trade with johnson, are we giving them any?

do we have a prospects to give to arz to fill up the incentive for arz to ok the trade, are we giving up too much?

trade garland for sariano, i personally don't like the idea of this trade, but then we need to sign 2 pitchers, guess what, how many teams is going to the fa market thinking of signing fa pitchers????

its not like we are the only team wanting players.

sexson, why????

Thomas                DH

Beltre or Glaus      3B

Sexson              1B

Metheny                C

Wilson                SS

Not too bad...and our pitching staff, 1-5 would be stellar as well.

Johnson

Buehrle

Pavano

Garcia

Contreras

There is absolutely NO WAY that Reinsdorf would ever sign off on the payroll you're suggesting.

Never.

Sign Sexson.

Thomas                DH

Beltre or Glaus      3B

Sexson              1B

Metheny                C

Wilson                SS

Johnson

Buehrle

Pavano

Garcia

Contreras

I wanna be the GM!!!

:lol: Are you paying for this team?

There is absolutely NO WAY that Reinsdorf would ever sign off on the payroll you're suggesting.

Never.

You are right, he'd never pay this kind of payroll. That's why the Organization sucks, and will NEVER compete for a WS.

In the latest ESPN Magazine, there is an article about the Yankees, in which it is stated, Steinbrenner considers any season in which the Yankees don't compete for a World Series is a disappointing season.

Sox ownership NEEDS to get that mentality. Getting to the playoffs should not be THE goal of the Chisox; winning a WS should be!

Until JR realizes that he's going to have to push the payroll to $100 million to be a serious competitor, the Sox will never be one.

I fail to see why anyone would want to get rid of Konerko. Sure, he strikes out a lot, but less frequently than some (including Rowand, Harris, Davis, Borchard). Every team is going to have some weaknesses in that area, somewhere in their lineup. Compared to what he brings -- in obp, slg, avg, hrs -- that one weakness isn't worth that much.

And hey, as for speed, not many players on the Sox have as good a steals/attempts ratio! :lizard Case closed!

A number of posters have said that they'd rather trade Carlos. Again, why? His obp is good, and his k rate isn't bad, either. This season has been frustrating, but that doesn't mean that the team will improve by attrition.

And why would we want Glaus at all? This guy is almost Jose Hernandez-esque w/ the strike outs. Koskie isn't much better, Beltre may be a bit better, but not much, and he'll be very pricey. Isn't Bill Mueller the type we're looking for, low-k + good obp? Not sure if the Red Sox are picking up the option or not. They have Youkilis, Bellhorn, and they may resign Reese/Cabrera, so he may be available.

It seems like posters are looking for a ss who hits like a ss is supposed to, a 3b who hits like a 3b is supposed to, etc. Let's just get the pieces for the lineup, whatever position they play. But let's start with our worst-producing positions, not 1b and lf.

EDIT: When I said "isn't much better", I meant isn't much better than what we have (Crede), in terms of strike outs. They're both much better than Glaus, of course. Sorry for the confusion.