Next year with Everett

fathom

After reading the tidbit in the Chicago Tribune, I really have to wonder what KW was thinking bringing in Carl Everett with the 4 million dollar option he has next year. If Ozzie or KW are planning on playing him in the outfield, they're nuts. There isn't a worse defensive outfield in baseball than Carl. Therefore, Everett as a DH makes no sense either with Frank supposedly being 100 pct next year to start the season. With this team's payroll, there is NO way that they should have a 4 million dollar bench player. That's just horrible planning for the future by KW. Hell, Ross Gload would have been a better option to replace Frank at DH than Everett has. It's very scary to think that Valentin could easily be starting at SS next year, and Everett playing in RF. This organization is baffling!

i agree completely about everett... his defense sucks... and 4 million dollars down the drain next year does too.... however, on his very little brightside.... he did hit over 300 with the rangers while health last year... did pretty good with us in 2003 as well... in 2004 he has been nothing but injured, yet has still done ok with us... if he is 100 percent healthy and in top notch shape in spring training, he might be a s***ty RF with good numbers from the left side of the plate... i mean, it isnt unrealistic to say, if healthy, he could hit .300/25/80

on the other hand of your topic is jose v... every single indacation is that he is outta here, i havent read one thing that indacates he will be with us again after 2004 and good riddence

i agree completely about everett... his defense sucks... and 4 million dollars down the drain next year does too.... however, on his very little brightside.... he did hit over 300 with the rangers while health last year... did pretty good with us in 2003 as well... in 2004 he has been nothing but injured, yet has still done ok with us... if he is 100 percent healthy and in top notch shape in spring training, he might be a s***ty RF with good numbers from the left side of the plate... i mean, it isnt unrealistic to say, if healthy, he could hit .300/25/80

on the other hand of your topic is jose v... every single indacation is that he is outta here, i havent read one thing that indacates he will be with us again after 2004 and good riddence

Dont have the quote w/me, but Ozzie said a few days ago that he would be ok with Valentin at SS next year, while dissing Uribe being the everyday SS.

Dont have the quote w/me, but Ozzie said a few days ago that he would be ok with Valentin at SS next year, while dissing Uribe being the everyday SS.

He said that, but there is talk that part of the reason is because Uribe is going to be arbitration eligible, and he probably doesn't want to talk bad about Valentin if they aren't going to sign him. Why rip him if you like the guy, but don't want him back? I seriously doubt he's back, but we'll see.

I don't know if I like Carl in RF either.

My only real problem with it is the guy can't even run slightly wrong without getting himself hurt and on the bench for a few games. He might even be worse then Juan Gone. Maybe if he could prove that he could come to camp in shape and ready to play the field like he used too, and thats a big if, then I would take a chance on him.

Let him, Joe Borchard, and Alex Escobar fight it out. If Carl can't get the job done trade him for someone who needs a decent DH.

What I'd like done is to see Rowand move over to right field, Willie in center and sign Visquel to play shortstop while Uribe plays second. This is assuming that Willie can improve.

I love that idea.

It does without saying that the longer Willie plays CF everyday the more he will improve at that position.

He should just play winterball as a CF this year. I think that it's not as far out a scenario as some would think.

I love that idea.

It does without saying that the longer Willie plays CF everyday the more he will improve at that position.

He should just play winterball as a CF this year. I think that it's not as far out a scenario as some would think.

Thanks, the only problem is I forgot Borchard, but if Willie and Uribe can consistantly play better than Borchard, then there isn't a big problem with my hope.

I disagree, I dont like willie in center, I think he turns the double play better than alot of 2b I have seen, especially better than juan does from second.

Well then it becomes a question of what you would rather have.

A great defensive second basemen with a ton of range or new blood at the SS position.

There in lies the dilemma. I think that Uribe and Willie turn one of the best double plays since ozzie and joey. But I would like a new SS to bring in some consistency, and some error free fielding. Juan's K's still bother me, because he swings at bad pitches more than Vlad, and Vlad hits them out.

The thing that really bothers me about Juan is that he seems to want to be the next Sammy Sosa.

His swing reminds me of Sammy's, his stance reminds me of Sammy's, his whole approach to the game reminds me of Sammy's.

The problem with that is :sosasucks

If he could learn to harness some control and lay off some of those bad pitches he could be one of the best offensive SS's in the game. I'm just not sure I see that happening.

If? How much doubt is left on that count?

There's a lot of doubt. This team doesn't need to see their 1 and 2 hitters in the early part of the season both bat over .320, then 2 months later see them both under .270. That's just horrendous. I think Borchard will be a good player sometime, not right now though. But it's not like they're just going to give the positions to Harris and Uribe.

There's a lot of doubt. This team doesn't need to see their 1 and 2 hitters in the early part of the season both bat over .320, then 2 months later see them both under .270. That's just horrendous. I think Borchard will be a good player sometime, not right now though. But it's not like they're just going to give the positions to Harris and Uribe.

Your response shows that Uribe and Harris are inconsistent, but that wasn't the point -- it was about their performance compared to Borchard's. I haven't seen one scintilla of evidence that Borchard can play as well as Uribe or Harris for any length of time longer than a single at-bat. And I didn't say that they should make them starters -- sure, let them compete, I just don't have (personally) much doubt about who would win if they were competing with Borchard.